Protecting your personal information

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Nivels

Post by Nivels »

That's always a difficult one Kersh. Thankfully 99% of renters are genuine but obviously some aren't.

I charge a returnable deposit just in case of breakages, losses or theft, but it would only really cover the basics.

My onsite manager also goes to the apartment about 30 minutes before they are due to depart ("to check that they had a good time" - but also to check that they have not wrecked the place)

If none of those are possible, it is really down to deciding whether or not to persue them legally if the worst does happen. If you have a decent rental contract in place and you are happy that they are who they say they are, then this is an option but that would be up to you.

When it comes down to it, try to make sure that your renters are genuine - perhaps send something by post or phone them to give them some local information before they arrive to check out their contact details. Sometimes your instinct will tell you when things are not right. If in doubt, check them out
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Nivels,
When it comes down to it, try to make sure that your renters are genuine - perhaps send something by post or phone them to give them some local information before they arrive to check out their contact details. Sometimes your instinct will tell you when things are not right. If in doubt, check them out
I’m not quite sure I understand the point being made.

For me, until a booking has been made and the rent has been paid an enquiry is just an enquiry.

Once the booking has been made and the rent has been paid what might there be which could stop the renters from being genuine?

Fluffy
Nivels

Post by Nivels »

Sorry Alan

Kersh was worried about people stealing from his property (dodgy renters) and if they did - what could he do about it and how could he protect himself against it happening in the first place.

I was just trying to warn him that even people who have fully paid may not necessarily be nice people.

I certainly dont want to blow this out of proportion as like I said earlier, most people are fine, but I have heard stories of renters stealing from properties - not sure if the stories are true or not, but now I always call my renters before accepting a booking just to see if I get any bad vibes about their stay. I slip in simple questions about the members of the booking party (like have they visited the area before) to get them chatting. If they seem genuine then fine the booking goes ahead - I haven't had any reason to reject anyone yet but it just puts my mind at rest.

Basically, I try to confirm that they are who they say they are, and they live where they say they live (e.g. by confirming th address for sending property keys etc.). I don't mind strangers staying in my property but I like to feel reasonably confident that they are decent people beforehand.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Nivels wrote:Basically, I try to confirm that they are who they say they are, and they live where they say they live (e.g. by confirming th address for sending property keys etc.). I don't mind strangers staying in my property but I like to feel reasonably confident that they are decent people beforehand.
Nothing wrong with that.

Fluffy
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Hi Nivels,

I do exactly the same, I find a silly excuse to ring them. There is a feeling you can get over the phone that you will never get from an email. I also think they like the fact that they have spoken to a 'real' person.

Ruth
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Quite a lot of enquirers choose not to give their phone numbers on their email - what then? I do tend to use the number when it is given, but once or twice I have had the impression that the recipient is a bit taken aback that I have done so so it's not something I approach with total confidence. The majority appreciate the personal contact however.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Gascony Goat wrote:The majority appreciate the personal contact however.
GG, I know there are different schools of LMH thought on phoning punters, but my experience is the same as yours.

Somewhere at the beginning of any phone call I usually slip in something like 'I hope you don't mind me phoning but....' or words to that effect and without exception so far (paws crossed!), the person on the other end of the line has always said how pleased they are to get the call.

One recent guest told me how much he had appreciated my phone call in rapid response to his email - in his words, it gave him the reassurance he needed to book. (I don't phone systematically, but in this case there were a number of questions to answer, so I thought a call would be better than an email response)

Rab
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I dont normally ring when someone enquires but email back quickly..

If something is unusual dates etc..I do..

Once they have booked I ask for phone numbers and mobile nos ...which have always been given freely...
Also a mobile contact number that they can be contacted on while staying in the houses
[which has been useful] its not always the same mob number Ive been given as the might have decided to take another mobile with them on their hols...

Ruth..Another way of taking money is getting them to get a sterling chq from their bank..and you can pay this into your uk bank..
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

I have a strong dislike of phones, thus I don't make calls unless people ask me to. As a vacationer I would hate it if someone called me after I had made an enquiry about staying at their property. Would put me off. :shock:
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Why would you hate to speak to the owner of the property you want to rent? Would you speak to them if they were ringing to offer you a discount? :lol:

I don't think I would want to rent to someone who would hate to speak to me on the phone.

The solution to that would be not to disclose your number I suppose.

Ruth
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Ruth :wink:

Its not quite that I think..Its just that when people enquire theyre probably enquiring on a lot of sites and even though theyve put their phone number might feel a phone call is a bit intrusive[sorry if this doesnt make sense but I am trying]

Like they were chasing the booking...and as some of said I wouldnt liked to be sold something Id rather buy something :roll: ...

But theyre are owners who ring up staight away and get good results so theres no wrong way[as in most things in this forum just different approaches and all with their own merits :wink: ]
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

kipper889 wrote:The solution to that would be not to disclose your number I suppose.

And some do just that so I don't think Overboard is on her own in the water there - although it has to be said Overboard that if the caller handled the conversation in the right way and wasn't pressuring you, I don't think you would be put off.
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

For people like myself who are not 'phone people'. Having an owner call me from an e:mail enquiry would seem a bit pushy.

This isn't really an issue for me as I don't hand out my phone number (and when I have to I type in my husbands, lol). However I just wanted to add my input that there are quite a few people out there that dislike phone calls.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Overboard wrote:I have a strong dislike of phones, thus I don't make calls unless people ask me to. As a vacationer I would hate it if someone called me after I had made an enquiry about staying at their property. Would put me off. :shock:
I take the opposite view.

As both a holiday maker (a vacationer if you must) and as a property owner I prefer to have a “personal� link with the other side and a telephone conversation can give me that. I think a telephone call, either way, can create that personal link. What would “put me off� is a holiday maker or an owner who objected to a telephone call. I would immediately ask myself “Why?�

Fluffy
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Hi Ros,

I didn't mean that I jump straight on the phone the minute I get an enquiry, I think you're right that would be pushing it a bit. :lol:

I only ring once I know they want to make a definate booking. I send them info on availability and prices and any other answers to their q's and ask them to let me know if they would like to go ahead and book. Once they have said that they would like to, that is when I make the call. Usually to say that I have emailed the booking form to them. Quite often I don't have to ring them because they ring me first, usually to ask if there is a hairdryer/iron (stated in ad) it seems they like to confirm. that I actually exist.

But I do understand what you mean 'horses for courses' :D

Would be very boring if we were all the same wouldn't it? :o

Ruth