How much compensation should I give?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Bellywobble

How much compensation should I give?

Post by Bellywobble »

We have advised our guests who are due to arrive on May 6th for 3 weeks, that our pool will not be available for them to use.

The total cost of their stay is £600. Not surprisingly they have asked for compensation. What do you think would be fair?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I think it was mentioned somewhere that you could charge an extra 10% if your property had a pool, so £60 sounds fair to me.
enid

Post by enid »

Much as I want you to have the money I think I would be so gutted to have booked 3 weeks with your lovely pool and then not have it - I think it should be more like £200 and claim this back from the rubbish contractor.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Have you any idea what price similar rental properties to yours without a pool are in your area? This would give you some idea of how much compensation to offer.
If not, I would go with what Helen said and then see what they say - I think they will negotiate so you don't want to give away too much at the start.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Of course Enid, £60 doesn't really sound enough does it? Esp as they also have the unfinished pool to look at. Claiming it back is a good idea too.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

If I'm not mistaken BW your guests have their own private terrace and the pool is actually on another level, shared with your family, yes ?

If this is the case then it is not as bad as having your own pool and then not only losing the use but also having to look at an eye sore. Having said that I feel quite strongly that this is something you can't put a price on. One person may be not bothered whereas someone else may never have booked in the first place if a pool is not available. I would certainly offer more than 10%, maybe 20% but also give them the option to cancel with a full refund and the offer to help try and find alternative accommodation.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Yes, you're right Party. At least they won't have to look at it!

We do have a surprising number of guests who never use the pool, but I'm with Enid at the moment (unfortunately, as it looks increasingly like we'll be having to cover all costs ourselves :evil: ).

I would be upset in their position and unless the gesture is big enough to make a difference to them, it seems pointless.

Also, they are from Canada so this is probably quite a special holiday for them :(

I've just got to get my husband to agree........
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Do you happen to have a neighbor nearby with a pool they would be willing to let your guests use for a fee?

Also...check with any local hotels; in my little town in Italy, there is a modest hotel with a pool and they will let anyone use it for a daily fee. (I had no idea until a local friend with children told me that's where they swim in the summer!)
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Well yes, in all honesty if it were me then I would probably offer £200 aswell but at the same time a 20% reduction seems reasonable seeing as they still have a lovely terrace of their own. Also I notice that the nearest beach is at the bottom of the hill, so it is not as if they have to get in the car or go a long way for a dip (unless it is a massive hill of course). Out of interest are they a lone couple or do they have young children to consider.

I can only reiterate that if I were them I would be most peeved to be offered only £60 and remember, these are people who you will be bumping in to regularly during their stay :oops:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I do feel for you BW... :(

But I would be absolutely gutted if it were me...
I think it should be more than £60...as others have said is there a neighbours house pool they could use or something like that... :roll:
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Partridge wrote:
I would certainly offer more than 10%, maybe 20% but also give them the option to cancel with a full refund and the offer to help try and find alternative accommodation.
Sorry BW, but have to agree with Partridge. For some people - not everybody - a pool is the major part of their holiday. However, if you were to make an immediate and generous offer to these guests, I think it's possible they will respond in kind and not cancel or press you too hard. Most people want to know that you take the situation seriously but will be sympathetic if they appreciate the problem was outside your control.

When the previous owner of our property had a problem with his pool one summer, he bought all the guests vouchers to be exchanged at the local public swimming pool for the period the pool was out of action - which they accepted.

Jim
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Well I wanted to get an email off to him last night. My husband was reluctant to agree to £200. He felt that this was a bit much as they had already had a discount, for a three week stay.
There's not much price difference, if any, between properties with and without pools, this close to the sea.
There isn't a public pool nearby and I doubt the neighbours would be willing to share.
There is a cafe on the sea front who will allow patrons to use their pool pass which is for an enormous pool, but it's not quite the same as having one on the doorstep.
It's a couple without children who are coming .
Anyway we decided to offer a €200 discount which I hope seems like a reasonable amount.I'm now waiting to hear back from them.
Thanks for all the good advice.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I hope they accept this - I think it is fair and least they still have the sea close by to swim in. Please let us know the response to your offer, BW!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi BW....

It is hard I know but
Do you think these people would have booked if there hadnt been a pool...or if your photos shew what the view is actually....rather than what it should be...

This is a bit of a no win situation and whatever you do it wont feel 100%......

Im really on your side and I know this problem isnt of your making...these things happen..but its what we do when they have that will make the difference....

All of our opinions will differ of course...but I think I would offer them the chance to cancel and have a full refund..If they decide not to at least youve shown willing.....Then just give a reduction...

Have you other people arriving soon ...and will the pool be fixed for then..

Dont feel Im getting at you this is sooo frustrating I know... :roll:

Take Care :wink:
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Hi Ros, I do think that there's every chance that they may have booked if they had known about the pool. The majority of our guests don't even use it. We tend to attract older couples who spend most of their time sightseeing.
The view from the apartment is not affected in any way and neither is the use of the terrace and this is what most people book for.
I think if they had wanted a refund they would have said so and I certainly don't want to give them ideas! At the moment we need every penny we can get!
As our place is pretty unique it would be very difficult to find them anything comparable, with or without a pool and at the price they have paid. (We have increased our prices since they booked as everyone told us we were undercharging.)
With the poor weather that we've been having here, I doubt if the pool would even have been warm enough to swim in anyway!
I really believe that they will be happy here, but I just feel very upset that we advertised something we can't supply!
We have had two lots of guests already who didn't mind at all that the pool was out of use, thank goodness!
The next guests are not due until June so hopefully it will be ready for them :)