Noise disturbance from fiesta - how much deduction?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
linda147

Noise disturbance from fiesta - how much deduction?

Post by linda147 »

Our current guests arrive in town the night the local fiesta started which is very close to our property. They have been on the phone complaining that they can't sleep at night because of the noise. We didn't know when the fiesta was starting or we would have warned them when they booked. All we knew was that there is a fiesta of a few days in April. We didn't know much about it as we have not been in the town when it was on. They are an elderly couple (which of course you don't realise when you communicate by e-mail) and have been driving to local restaurants even though they are only about a 10-15 minute walk away! The police have stopped them driving back to the house because of the fiesta and because they can't speak Spanish have been unable to explain they are staying in a house nearby! Our agent has written them a note now so they can get through.
They are also a bit forgetful and despite our agent going round there 3 times now to show them how to open the door (all you do is turn the key and pull it slightly) they are still having trouble getting in the house. All in all they are not having a good time. Thankfully they have gone off to Ronda tonight and are staying a night there before returning to our house. They have booked 2 weeks and I think it is only fair to offer them a reduction on the rent as they have had all this noise disturbance. This is our first year so we hadn't really thought about what the impact might be - next year I will definitely fine out exactly when the fiesta is on and warn people at time of booking!
What do you think would be a fair reduction? They have already been given a 10% discount on our rental price for their 2nd week which is what we normally give, so have paid £450 for the 2 weeks.
Grateful for any thoughts. I am going to phone them on Monday (fiesta finishes Sunday) to see if they are a bit happier.
Thanks
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

This is a difficult one.

For many people, the fact that there is a fiesta while they are there would be a fantastic extra - we always try to identify the dates for surrounding villages because they really are a wonderful experience for people.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

hmmmm...honestly...it's too bad they aren't loving it...but I don't think they deserve any discount...maybe a bottle of wine or a meal in a local place just to go out of your way to be nice...but I don't think I would ever expect anything as a guest!

I arrived once to Siena right before Palio and didn't realaize that even the taxi's were not allowed in the historic center...and had to wander around for hours with very heavy suitcases asking for walking directions to the place I was staying...would never have dreamt of asking for any sort of compensation! It was my own fault for not looking uo the town deatails before I arrived! Anyway...personaly, I think you should be very nice (and I too would feel very bad for them), but I seriously don't think a local festa is something you should be compensating for?! would a hotel? no way! would a B&B? no way. Anything you do would be a nice geasture...perhaps a hefty discount to come visit during your quietest period would be welcome? Anyway...that's just my thoughts :-) and I am only speaking as a guest and not a homeowner (yet!).
enid

Post by enid »

I wouldn't offer any compensation - none of this is your fault - this is part of the life where you live - that's it. Your agent is trying tosupport them and that's great.
fibi

Post by fibi »

Yep, agree with Enid - its all part of the colourful local life and thats what we go on holidays for to experience different cultures and ways of life - I think your guests have been very lucky!
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Did they ask for a reduction?

If they didn't specifically ask, I wouldn't offer it, for the same reasons the others gave. Especially as you have already given them a discount.

Now, if when they booked they specifically talked about how they were looking for peace and quiet, and you told them they would have it, and they've made a fuss and even asked for/hinted at a discount -- that would be a different story. :)
Brooke
A-two

Post by A-two »

vrooje wrote: Now, if when they booked they specifically talked about how they were looking for peace and quiet, and you told them they would have it
I think that's the key, how you described the ambiance to them. If you use words like quiet and peaceful, then you might owe them more than an apology. If you say located in the center of town, close to restaurants, shops, bars etc., they could expect some rowdiness whether or not there is any fiesta going on, in which case, I would say you don't owe them anything.

As there is going to be a fiesta in April every year, in future I would disclose this in the response to all inquiries for April, then they can make an informed decision, either to chose to avoid it or specifically to chose that time for the fun of it all.
Ju

Post by Ju »

I agree with the others - no discount, but perhaps a bottle of wine.

Ju
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'm going to offer a different point of view...only because I know how noisy spanish fiestas can be.
We suffer exactly the same situation at christmas as the village erect a marquee at the end of our road.
To be honest...if I rented out at that period (which I don't) I would feel honourbound to mention the difficulty of sleeping on 2 of the nights. (I even mentioned it to family)
It can be great for people who don't mind the noise along with the fun....but I always think sleep disturbance is one of the the worst things.

Some of the fiestas go on into the very early hours of the morning...if this is the case with your village - then I would offer a small discount (perhaps extend the discount you gave them for the 2nd week into the 1st)

I take the point about the onus being on them to research the fiestas...but would people really know what a spanish fiesta is like unless they've experienced one?
Its one of those 'learning curve' things and you'll know next time.

just another viewpoint :)

good luck and I hope the outcome satisfies everyone

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I dont think you have to give a reduction as others have said is your property advertised as quiet..that might make a difference..Your prices seem reasonable as well..

See how they feel now the noise has gone....
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Difficult one this. Yes, if the fiesta was some sort of international festival that people would know about (July 14th in France, Mardi Gras in Rio, etc) then yes I would kind of expect renters to do a bit of homework and realise that if they are looking for peace and quiet, then this would probably not be the best time to book.

But how widely is this fiesta advertised? Is it just a load of fly posters stuck up around the village, or would I be able to find it easily on the internet?

I've just looked at your homepage, and this is what is said:
The houses each have 3 bedrooms and are ideally located for people who want to enjoy the proximity to the old town (which is only a 10 minute walk away) yet be in a quiet area.
If they are being kept awake at night, then I can understand their frustration. For me this would be the worst nightmare... :evil:
linda147

Post by linda147 »

many thanks for all the comments. It is a tricky one - they haven't asked for a discount so far, but the house is advertised as being in a quiet area! (which it is apart from these few days of the year!) I couldn't find any reference to dates for the fiesta on the internet as we were in the town up until last Tuesday and were hoping the fiesta would be on when we were there!
They last e-mail I had from them before there trip said how much they were looking forward to their holiday, so when I got a call saying how disappointed they were I felt really bad!
Our agent has already taken round a bottle of wine.
I haven't personally experienced a big Spanish fiesta but know how noisy the celebrations were in the town on New Years Eve so can well image - so agree with your comments Mouse! This fiesta is something the whole town goes to and apparently virtually everything in the town shuts down while it is on (including most of the restaurants). It is a learning curve and we will certainly make people aware. Apparently it always starts the 10th day after Easter Sunday so will be able to work out the dates - with the silly school holidays next Easter we should be able to go ourselves! Some consolation for having a split holiday (I am a teacher so don't have the option of taking my son our of school for even a day!)
Our agent in Vejer said they are just the wrong couple at the wrong time. I will give them a call during the week to see how they are getting on - I though about giving them a discount on a future holiday but they probably never want to go back again!
I think I will definitely offer them something - 10% discount off the first week seems reasonable. We all want people to enjoy their stays in our properties and I can understand how upsetting it must be not being able to sleep - I know what I am like if I don't get enough sleep!
While we were in Vejer over Easter we talked to several people who have just moved into the development and talked about renting their properties out - little do they know how difficult it can be and what problems can arise!
Again thanks for all your help
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Linda..

Good Luck and it just shows that you are a good owner trying to sort this out...

Let us know how it pans out...hopefully if they enjoy the rest of the holiday it should help Regards Ros
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Hi Linda....as your agent said, unfortunately the wrong type of guests at the wrong time of year. I agree with Mouse...fiestas are very noisey and go on till the early parts of the morning!...I'm really glad I don't live anywhere near the Feria ground in Fuengirola!
I think you 've made a fair and reasonable decision discounting their first week.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Hello, moon face here :lol: Looks like those who have experienced it can see that it could be a problem if you don't like noise.

We have a fiesta first week of September and although you can hear it from the balcony it is a couple of miles away, but getting out and in to town can be laborious and so many shops open and close when they feel like it. We definitely want to avoid it and I would tell guests if they were booking for that period about what it's like. People love it or hate it.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm