My 'Mr site' website

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Rosbif

My 'Mr site' website

Post by Rosbif »

Hi everyone

Sorry I've not posted a lot this week, I've been busy trying to sort out my website!!

Anyway, I would be grateful of a bit of feedback, but please bear in mind the following:

1. It is only a studio apartment

2. I bought it in December and haven't had chance to do any work on it yet, but will be giving it a facelift over the summer. Hence not very good photos at the moment.

Here it is http://www.skistudioalps.com/

Look forward to your comments!!

Thanks

Rosbif
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Rosbif, I think you've made a great start. I'm not entirely convinced about the white text on black background, but if there were more photos on there it would be better. When you do get round to the revamp, put some contrasting cushions and folded towels on the sofabed. I agree you need to copyright your photos, but you can do so without being quite so obtrusive. (Someone nicked one of mine, in fact two other owners did, so I know it is a problem. Also the text under the photos needs to be darker, I didn't see it first time round. Are you out there in the summer?
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Hi Rosbif,

How busy have you been???

Just a few days and you have the makings of a great site.

Looks good. I noticed you said that the mountain views are 'pleasant' I think they are superb.

Perhaps 'big it up' a bit more, I'm sure it deserves it.

Well done.

Ruth
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Thanks girls, I will have another look at the photos I put that watermark thing on then couldn't get it off again haha. I only just changed it to black and white tonight but I might have another think about the colour.

Helen, we are out there at the beginning of June, for about 5 days as part of a 2 week trip visiting Greg's family and going down to the south west to see property down there. So I need to decide on what I am going to do to it with Greg's Dad as he is going to do the work :D :D. Then I need to source everything I need and decide on colour scheme etc get rid of the horrible blue and orange and ancient brown tiles around the kitchenette!!!!

Carole x
enid

Post by enid »

Firstly you have made me feel very guilty as I have been working on a new site forever!!!! :oops:

I likr the text content clear and accessible. I like the headers and the text size and font are fine for my poor old eyes. I do have a little difficulty with the white text on black - I did get used to it but I wouldn't have persevered if I had come across your site any other way.

The Gallery is coming along nicely - I am using a light tunnel feature on my new site so I was interested to see it working so well on yours. I would still add more photos on the pages themselves (I know you will be taking more in the summer).

One descriptor I would change is Clik Clak - I know what it is but not everyone would - (I would put comfortable sofa bed :)

A very clear site that you need only tweek a little to have a superb window for your property. Felicitations! :)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Carole, if you can cope with it an IKEA trip might be in order. Turin is the nearest.Don't rely on Briancon, there were a couple of things we couldn't find anywhere.
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Hi Rosbif,

Like Enid, I am humbled by the speed with which you've put something together. I'm still on page one of my attempt. :? :oops:

You've made a very good start and you can build on that.

"According to local legend, after God created the earth, the sun, the mountains and the sea to shape our planet, the leftovers of each were used to create a paradise: Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur"
I haven't heard that before - I love it! And it's really nice to add things like that in the text. Overall, the text reads very well. Although I agree that click clak is not the best description - whereas everyone knows what a sofa bed is.

I agree with previous comments re photos. When you're over next, you could try dressing up the photos with coloured throws, a set dining table, fruit / flowers in the kitchen etc. There are several threads on here with helpful hints. Oh and take the pix in daylight with lots of light sources. You could also nick Helen's idea of having both winter and summer photos - I really like that on your site, Helen.

A trip to IKEA is always a good idea :lol: . Even if you don't buy furniture there, you can pick up lots of decorative items like vases, lamps and candles etc for very reasonable prices.

Well done! Looks like it's just you and me, Enid, dragging our heels. :oops: Oh well. Perhaps this weekend... :?
Lounging on the lily pad...
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Thanks for your kind comments about my photo galleries greenfrog!!! :D
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Very nice site Carole. I think it works well organizationally and in my opinion the white on black is suitable. In fact, bright colour pictures on the black background can be very startling (good!), so I would suggest trying to put at least one bright picture on each page.

There seems to be some little glitch in the header where the background to the right/left of the banner text is just off black. Don't know if this was deliberate, but it didn't work for me.

My only contentious point is whether to start the whole thing off with a negative statement - "Many people have never heard of Serre Chevalier..." ? I understand what you're saying, but does it really help ? Why not start more brazenly with "Serre Chevalier is a beautiful resort situated in the Hautes Alpes region of France..." Think about it... if visitors have not heard of Serre Chevalier, they don't need to be told that, they need to know where it is, and similarly those who have heard of it don't really gain much by knowing that others haven't - unless you think that it creates an air of mystery and seclusion, but in that case, I'd still suggest a more positive sense of wording.... [ramble over]
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Thanks everyone, :) I am pleased all the comments have been pretty positive thats nice. I will change click clack and 'pleasant' and have another think about the colour scheme, although its growing on me but like you said Enid may be hard for some to read.

I will def do some nice shots in the summer and yes may 'borrow' Helen's idea :shock: . May do an Ikea trip, we will be going to Greg's parents in Valence and I think there's and Ikea in Lyon which isn't too far.

Enid and Greenfrog, I have been faffing (if thats the correct spelling or if indeed that is a real word!) for ages trying to do stuff in Dreamweaver, not really knowing what I was doing and getting frustrated, then when I was looking at a friend of a friends chocolates site :shock: I discovered Mr Site (www.mrsite.co.uk). It's great, you get your domain name (which is your own choice and a 'proper' domain not with the company's name included or anything), hosting and the online software to create your site which is all very easy, there are sections where you add your photo gallery etc. It's just a tiny bit restrictive in some areas, but hey I managed to put mine together in a couple of evenings, oh and it cost £34.99 for the lot, hosting for a year etc. So have a look but if you decide to sign up click through from my links page on my site cos I get a referral then :wink:

Will search the threads for help on photos and 'dressing' the place.

Carole xx
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Thanks e-richard, see what you are saying might have a look at that too. Oh I forgot the waffly bit about the region and god's left overs etc haha, can't remember where I found it now but its quite cool isnt it :wink:
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Made a few little tweaks, but can't seem to do anything with the header unfortunately e-richard, its a pre designed template but I could put pics up there so might look at doing that when I get better ones. Did anyone have trouble with the availability chart and tariff displaying half way down the page, as it does that on my work PC but not on any other I have looked at it on?

BTW I am not trying to sell Mr Site to anyone, :oops: although it may sound like it, I was just chuffed that it was so easy to put a site together like this so quickly.

Carole
Last edited by Rosbif on Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Yes Rosbif, I meant to mention that on my first post but forgot. :roll:

I have to scroll down to see it.

Ruth
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Rosbif,

So you went with MrSite in the end, rather than Dreamweaver? And the results are there, well done!

I like your site: I think it gives just the right amount of information. Enough, but not too much. And a bit of 'dressing' and a few more good photos will create even more impact.

A couple of comments:

Region: spotted a typo (only one!) not as well know. I like the information you give about the towns (didn't know Vauban had got to your neck of the woods as well - he is also responsible for some rather impressive fortifications on the Ile de Ré).

Travel: I wonder if you should mention that driving over the pass can be tricky in heavy snow? I appreciate you want to alert people to the risks, but maybe you could get away with simply saying that it is essential to travel with a set of snow chains to hand? I wouldn't want to make people more nervous than necessary. Just a thought.

Availability: Does MrSite allow you to place a lovely photo above the availability calendar? The empty space looks a bit, well, black. :wink: (Maybe not, I see others have also commented on this..)

Guest book: I'm interested to see you opted for an online guest book - how does this work? Will you be keeping a close eye on entries to make sure nothing offensive is posted? (I'm sure not, but you never know, just thinking of protecting you)

Well done, Rosbif, you've got a great little site up and running - you're away!
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Thanks Rab, yes I did manage to create some pages in Dreamweaver, but then I couldn't change things, couldn't do a table etc (I think it was just a bit above my technical knowhow!) and I started thinking about how the hell I actually get it on the internet :? then I came across MrSite and it looked easy so I thought I'd give it a go and voila it worked fine!

I will correct the typo thanks. You're right about the driving thing too, I will re word it a bit to sound less scary (although it is a bit scary - I think a bit too much of my own fear coming in as I hate driving in snow!!). Re the availability page, I asked the MrSite peeps and apparently it does that in Internet Explorer if its an older version, so I don't know if you guys are using IE?? It's OK on Firefox and Safari, but they did say I might be able to make the availability chart and table on the tariff page a wee bit smaller to try and correct it, so will try that.

Re the online guest book, I will be keeping an eye on it and I can delete offensive remarks if I want to :D but I think I will just email my past guests for the moment and ask them if I can use quotes from their emails after they came back, people have said its a great location blah blah then in the future I will ask people if they wouldn't mind adding a comment if they were happy guests!

Thanks everyone, some v useful tips and tweaks you have given me!

Carole aka Rosbif