Velux Windows - moral dilemma!

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Giddy Goat

Velux Windows - moral dilemma!

Post by Giddy Goat »

We have several velux windows in our property - but we are in a bit of a dilemma as to how to manage the opening/closing of them when we have rental guests there. The ceilings are very high, so there are two clever gadgets which extend, to enable you to do so without a ladder.

When it gets very hot, I am sure there are at least two that I would want to have the option to open if I were one of my guests - the one in the kitchen, even though it has two sets of French doors and the room is north facing, and one in a bedroom, the only other source of ventilation for which is a small window. There are ceiling fans in these rooms too BTW.

But how can one be sure that the veluxes will be closed when it starts to rain, or when they go out?

I am asking, because we have one in our kitchen here in the UK. OH forgot to close it last night, it rained, and I almost broke my neck when I stepped in the very large puddle, not having seen it at that point.

Currently, the stick-gadgetty things are kept in the utility toom at our rental property, but we don't actually tell people about them, which doesn't seem totally fair, but on the other hand, if we can forget to close ours here in the UK, ummm....
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

GG,
But how can one be sure that the veluxes will be closed when it starts to rain, or when they go out?
It is a problem, isn’t it?

No matter how many recommendations, rules and regulations you might have the only way to make sure they are closed when it rains is not to open them or to automate the closing procedure by installing motors and rain sensors. Very expensive.

A compromise would be to lock them in their partially open position – they have integral bolts for that specific purpose. That way they would give some ventilation, they would not allow the ingress of rain water and they would be impervious to strong winds (another problem with an open Velux window).

Fluffy
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Are they all like that Fluffy? Thanks for your help BTW, good suggestion: must look when we're there next. And are they really watertight when they are left partially open - no matter which way the wind's coming from? We're quite exposed where we are.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Gascony Goat wrote:Are they all like that Fluffy? Thanks for your help BTW, good suggestion: must look when we're there next. And are they really watertight when they are left partially open - no matter which way the wind's coming from? We're quite exposed where we are.
If they are original Velux windows and not their imitators then I think they are all like that.

When locked partially open they are not totally impervious to the ingress of rainwater but the amount of rainwater which might find its way in is miniscule. If because of high winds the rainwater is horizontal rather than verticle then a little, but only very little, is bound to find its way in.
Thanks for your help BTW
I’m here to help, if and when I can.

Fluffy
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I have velux windows and leave the extended opening things in the gites. I don't think they have ever been opened very wide and I've certainly never noticed any damage. As Alan has said, they are designed to be able to be open but not allow water to get in. We have a lot of wind in my area and I've never noticed that pose a problem with the velux windows either. I've inadvertantly left my own velux windows open occasionally and there are sometimes traces of water on the walls, but certainly no serious water damage anywhere.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Just checked ours along the back of the house Jane and Alan's quite right, they have a small plastic 'bolt' which locates into a recess in the frame, thereby locking the Velux in a semi-open position. Mind you, I wouldn't fancy your chances of doing this in the kitchen at Au Chicot!

Make sure you have a safety net in place!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thanks for the feedback all of you. You're right Stu, perhaps the bolt option isn't practical for the kitchen.:shock: Hadn't thought about the realities of getting up there to do the necessary! As for the stick gadgetty thing, I am still a bit concerned and wish someone else could make my mind up for me! If a guest did open them up fully ..... I'm thinking again about that bit of unscheduled skating I did here this morning!
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Tue May 08, 2007 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

I have a colleague who rents in the UK and one of their, newly redecorated, newly carpeted houses has Velux windows (I guess they must have a loft conversion that is used as a bedroom or something). Their tenants went away for the week before their tenancy expired and left them open ( I don't think it was deliberate...) Anyway, it rained heavily, ruined all the carpets (they went mouldy) and furniture in that room. It cost them a fortune and a ton of hassle to sort it out, as well as making the place unrentable until it was sorted. Of course they did have the tenants' deposit and it was a much larger one than any of us would take for a holiday rental... but it still didn't cover the damage.

I think you have to weigh up the cost of what might happen (plus the cost of legal action if one of your guests has a bit of unscheduled skating). If you can lock the windows safely so that they vent but don't let water in you would be fine, but I think it's probably better to steer clear of allowing people to open them fully and then go out in a heavy storm which will just cause you endless hassle. It would be cheaper to just have some kind of portable air conditioning unit if you think the place might get really hot sometimes.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

GG, you can get rain sensors for Velux windows. Not sure how easy or how much to fit though.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thanks Helen - Alan mentions them above, and it sounds expensive - even more to do so after the fact I suspect. :(
Rocket Rab

Re: Velux Windows - moral dilemma!

Post by Rocket Rab »

Gascony Goat wrote: When it gets very hot, I am sure there are at least two that I would want to have the option to open if I were one of my guests -
Having had the pleasure of seeing your lovely property (very lovely, folks!), let me offer a different perspective...

We are in SW France, not so far from you, and you know what we do when it gets seriously hot? We close all the windows, shut the shutters, lower the blinds and generally hunker down. Then, in the cool of the evening, we open up and let the air in.

You have so many lovely doors you can throw open to gorgeous vistas and cool breezes - do you really have to be able to open the Velux windows?

If I were you: yes, I would be worried about them being left open in the rain (it will happen). More importantly, I would worry about them being left open when the house is empty...

Just a thought..
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

OK, and thanks to all, and to RR for your kind comments and advice: common sense has to prevail on this one. Stick gadgets to go under lock and key! to be brought out when we're there... 8) Mind you, when we're there it's not the height of summer! :lol:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Rocket Rab,
You have so many lovely doors you can throw open to gorgeous vistas and cool breezes - do you really have to be able to open the Velux windows?
You have asked the question and as someone who has been to the property I can answer it, other than for the bedrooms which I haven't seen. There is no need at all.

Fluffy
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

OOhh Gascy :wink: ...

Your place looks so great :wink:
and having heard from someone whose been it looks even better than your website :wink: lovely views etc.. :roll: :mrgreen:
..[and of course you were a great host]which I knew you would be...anyway it got vewy lonely here :roll:

might even be worth joining a well known website just to get an invite next year :roll:

[gimme a year as itll take me that long to get my website up and running..if I ever start :roll: ]
J&J

Post by J&J »

Hi all, I've been waiting for a thread in which I can make a constructive contribution before joining in and I think this is it !

We have one Velux with the electric operation - and also an electric blind. I have to say it is a very very good system. Details of prices can be found at:
http://www.velux.fr/NR/exeres/854F4592- ... 5267BF5FC2
but basically it is 425€ for the first window and then 173€ for each subsequent one.

You can also add a blind which is even more useful, particularly in a bedroom where guests like to block out the early morning sunshine. Our experience of manual blinds was that they break or jam easily when being operated with a pole.

James.