Velux Windows - moral dilemma!

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Hi James. Welcome to the fold!
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Hi James,

And what a good post it was!! I'm sure it will be helpful to members. :lol:

You really didn't have to wait that long to make a post, you could have joined us in the cafe section just for a chat. I only joined a couple of weeks ago and have made loads of un-constructive posts.. :lol:

Your properties look beautiful. Welcome.

Ruth
Last edited by guest 4 on Mon May 07, 2007 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Welcome to the forum James, and thanks for the info. I'm surprised that this automatic option is cheaper than I thought it would be
(although more expensive than I can afford :( )

We do have one Velux window on the first floor, and I do state in our info pack that people should not leave it open when they leave the house, even if they are only popping out for a short while. In four years, we have never had a problem, and it never occurred to me to even think about it.... until now....

Great - One more thing to worry about!!! :?
A-two

Post by A-two »

If the automatic openers are not an option (they sound great and not unreasonable price), I'm going to side with Susan on this one. Let them have the openers, they are not children.

We don't have Velux windows and we haven't been to Au Chicot, but we do have normal windows that if left open in a storm could cause equivalent damage. Also, we have a patio table on the 2nd floor deck that has an umbrella that must be dropped in a storm. We tell them when they check in, and have been know to call them if a storm is impending. Personally, I don't see any difference.

If it's a question of out of sight, out of mind, then I would make a BIG THING about it on all the notes, repeat at the Check In, in person, by phone and if necessary leaving a magnetic note on the front of the fridge door as well saying "Don't forget to shut Velux windows if it rains!".

Regarding extended absence, that ought to be covered by a clause in the contract that requires them to notify the owner, for all sorts of reasons, not just leaving windows open when it rains.

My 2 cents.
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Hi all,

It seems to have been confirmed from those that have visited that the opening of the velux windows are not a necessity. I would be inclined to not give the option to use them. Why take the risk?

Ruth :D
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

kipper889 wrote: you could have joined us in the cafe section just for a chat. I only joined a couple of weeks ago and have made loads of un-constructive posts.. :lol:
:lol: Love it Kip!

Welcome James, and thanks for the link - très utile! The price for the parts doesn't sound too bad at all - but I guess once you add the labour on top, it does make it something we might consider for the future rather than for now perhaps. Neverthelsss, the info will be bound to help someone else here,who is considering putting Veluxes in, or upgrading them in this way. :)

Lovely gites incidentally!

Thanks too to RR, NC and Joanna for your thoughts. And Nightie whom I forgot to include earlier.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be