Fraud - please be aware

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
janskov

Fraud - please be aware

Post by janskov »

I have received several strange booking request that I have decided not to respond to, and I will share the latest one with you because it is the most obvious as the gentleman explains the whole process in his first mail. Usually they will not get to the point until there has been a mail exchange.
The "trick" is that I am supposed to pay commission immediately on receipt of the payment through Western Union.
If I do that he will get his money and when his cheque bounces next week Western Union will withdraw the money again (yes - they can do that) - and there is no way that you can stop your own payment.

---- copy of mail ----
Subject: renting enquries !!!!!
To: else.greve@wanadoo.fr
How are you today? hope you are fine.My Name is james williams
Am working with the Leks Consultant company,here in africa. With honour pledge,i write to your notice. We have two client from africa,They are in-need of apartment in your location[ 4 bedroom apartment in $600 Per per month].I am here by making an enquries of your apartment for them, they only need it for (4month) And they wish to lodgin any moment from october but I want you to specify the time your apartment will be available around this period. One of them has responded very well when I showed him your advert. I will like to know your last best offer for letting. They are ready to send payment on time for non disapointment,and I will be adding my own profit to your own asking price, and my profit will be sent back to me through western-union (You are not paying for my commission, but my clients will do but they will sendit to you with your rental fee and then you will help send it back to me immediately you receive payment) If you are ok with every thing, Kindly forward your contact information as follows;

YOUR FULL NAME .......................
YOUR FULL ADDRESS .................
YOUR ZIP CODE ..........................
YOUR PHONE NUMBER ..............
YOUR FAX / TELEX NUMBER ........

As soon as i receive your contact details,I assuredyou that the check payment will get to you in 5 working days. So please confirm this,for me to forward to him so that the payment will get to you on time.
Thanks and Regards.
Thanks.
james williams
P.S Pleas get back to me as soon as posible. TheAmount on the check will be $3000 and you will send my own back to me immediately you receive it. And is the security and other fees added to it? Please let me know.
---------
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

I have experienced a similar type of fraud recently, though in all honesty, I was sceptical for a few reasons.
Firstly, this business of sending back commision is fishy. Secondly, I recieve nearly all of my deposits by swift transfer. If someone objects to the charges they are charged by their bank, I will accept cheques as long as a surcharge for "clearing costs" is added, plus that the full amount is recieved at least 40 days prior to arrival, that way I'm sure that the cheque has cleared itself without the risk of bouncing later on.
Another thing I have become wary of is email addresses originating from the likes of yahoo and hotmail. They are un-traceable. I don't wish to offend anyone, but they are becoming the hiding places of many scam-artists and you have to be extra careful when someone does not even give a phone number etc.
If someone asks for commission reimbursment etc, I just ignore the mail and forget about it. Better safe than sorry they say!
Malta – always in the sunshine!
paolo

Post by paolo »

Thanks for the warning, janskov.

I have experienced having money showing up in my account and then being withdrawn, like a coin on a string. In my case it was innocent enough, a cheque was ripped and rejected by the issuing bank, even though my bank accepted it. (When you bank a cheque, it is credited to your account by your bank, then the actual cheque is sent to the issuing bank, and it is only then that the payment is made to your bank.)

It highlighted a strange truth about the way banks work. Money shows up in your account before it has been paid to your bank by the sender's bank. This can go on for several days. If the sender's bank doesn't pay, the amount is debited from your account.

Most rental scams take advantage of this fact. The scammers cancel a cheque after you have banked it, but before it is paid by their bank. They send more than they owe you and ask you to quickly return the difference.

Please don't fall for anyone who offers to send you more money than they need to. Real people don't do this!
Paolo
Lay My Hat