Stopping spam

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
la vache!

Stopping spam

Post by la vache! »

I have an address that was used a lot to spam me which I put on my red list. Now I'm getting the address with random numbers in front of it.
Is there a way that you can put a wildcard character in front of an address to stop this spam now? Also is it possible to put no e mail address on the red list? (I often get this through my enquiry form).
Thankyou for any help :)
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I think it really depends on which email set-up you're using.

One outfit we use is Church of the Sleeping Elephant or, easier, cotse.net which allows you unlimited email addresses, each of which you can filter/block etc. including date expiring email addresses. You can also use wildcards on your blacklist. Is a red list a blacklist? i.e. list of banned incoming emails, domains etc.?

It's a bit techie though. US$6/month and excellent support - web-space and a load of other stuff. Steve, the amazing owner, runs it 24/7 and is, um, different.

MG
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks for your reply MG - I will certainly have a look at cotse.net, it sounds intriguing. My red list on Orange is the equivalent of the blacklist.
How do you write a wildcard e mail address?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Cotse uses asterisks as wildcards (see below), but I'm sure other email services have similar features. They have around 40 different filters, whitelists, goldlists, blacklists. Trouble is, when you've got that lot in place, no-one will ever want to make contact....as I said, a bit techie....and we only use a small proportion of their features.

MG

Cotse Options - Blacklist

Blacklisting an address or domain will block it from being delivered to your Inbox. It is a way of preventing people or organizations from contacting you via email, for example if they have become a nuisance or are harrassing you. You will never end up downloading any messages sent to you from blacklisted sources and will be at no risk from malicious emails from blacklisted sources. All mail from blacklisted sources will be delivered to your Trash folder, deleted, or tagged.

NOTE: The comparison is caseless, so you do not need to worry about capitalization.

This feature supports wildcards. You may use an asterisk (*) as a wildcard. For example:

# To blacklist an entire domain, simply list *@domain.com
# To blacklist a particular username that comes from several addresses, list username@*
# To blacklist all email coming from a particular extension, like .biz, list *@*.biz
# To blacklist all email coming from a particular IP address, click Options->IP Blacklist

Click on either "Update Options" button to save changes.

What do you want done with rejected messages?
Get rid of them (/dev/null)
Deliver them to my Trash folder
Do nothing but add a header to the message

Do you want notification when a message is rejected?
No
Yes

Edit/Add/Delete entries below, one per line:

etc.