Giving ADSL access to guests

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
KathyG

Giving ADSL access to guests

Post by KathyG »

I know this has been discussed a bit in various threads but I can't find what I specifically need.

Livebox is now up and running well (surprise surprise!) and I'd like to offer guests access to it. What do I specifically need to get them to enter into their laptops and where exactly? I guess they'll need to enter the WEP key but do I need to do anything to allow them access?

Kathy
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Kathy,

At our property, we have a USB wireless key that we give to guests to use for the week. In order for them to use the key they have to install some Wanadoo/Orange software. The software is un-intrusive (unlike the Wanadoo ADSL software), and once they have that installed, they specify the SSID and WEP key.

However, it should theoretically be possible to just provide the SSID and WEP key, as long as the user already has a wireless card installed. My Dad's computer works without the USB wireless device, but then his was the one we used to set up the Livebox in the first place.

I actually meant to test this out on our most recent trip (from which we returned yesterday), but my hard drive died before I had the chance to do so. I do know that past clients have had no problem using the USB key and software CD, but I don't know if they can take the shortcut...

...however, now that I think about it, it must be possible, else our users last year who had a Mac couldn't have used wireless at all (I don't think the software installs on a Mac).
Brooke
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Thanks Brooke,

That's what I'm hoping, that they don't have to install the Orange disc as well. Where do they actually enter the codes though, is it in Network Connections somewhere or do they need to go into Make a New Connection or something? I need to try it out with my OH's laptop next time we're there in June.

Did you have a good trip? It was ages since you'd been before wasn't it! I bet you found a million things that you want to get done over there - I know when we go it's not a 'holiday' at all. Has the weeping willow recovered?? :D
Kathy
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Hmm, on my version of XP a little window pops up that says "one or more wireless networks detected" -- because we broadcast our SSID -- and from there you should be able to click that window and enter the details. But I think doing it manually would be in network connections, yes.

Thanks for asking about the willow! As so many people predicted, it looks much better now, though it's still not quite back to normal -- I wouldn't yet call it "weeping". Now, though, we're pondering a new problem: the river ran so high this year that it softened the soil around the tree's roots to a point that the tree nearly fell over (it was already leaning quite a bit). If that happens again, it probably will fall, so we're trying to think of some way of stabilizing it...

...you're so right, it's always a lot of work on our "holiday," but I always seem to feel so much more fulfilled when I come back from the house than when I come back from a seemingly more restful vacation!

Though it could also be that since I had wireless access, I don't feel so overwhelmed with to-do tasks since coming home. Being able to check e-mail and pay some bills made a big difference.
Brooke
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Thanks for that info Brooke. When you say you broadcast your SSID, does that mean that your connection is not encrypted or is that something else? And if that is what you mean, how do you do that?! Somebody did say something about not encrypting it when you initially set it up to allow other users but there was nothing in the way of options when I did it. Sorry I'm being so dense, it's so frustrating! I don't think I'll be able to do anything to it till we go over again in a couple of weeks though......................

Kathy
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Don't worry, you're not being dense... there's a ton of terminology here.

If the connection isn't encrypted, there's only one bit of information you need to know: the SSID. Sometimes you don't even need to know that, as the wireless box will "broadcast" the name of its network, so you can turn on your computer and go "oh look, there's an unsecure network called my_network, let's try that." But you can also tell your router not to broadcast the SSID, so that even if the connection is unsecure, people will have to know the name of the network in advance in order to connect to it.

The encryption is where you start to need a password or a key. Our Livebox has 128-bit WEP encryption, which means that in addition to the SSID, you also have to have a 26-digit hexadecimal code ("key") to connect to the network.

We are encrypted, but we broadcast our SSID. So people need to have the key in advance, but they don't need to know our network name since we're the only network around us (though we tell them anyway).

Hope that didn't only confuse you more? :oops:
Brooke
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Hmm sounds simple enough :roll: It just depends on whether my system is encrypted, whether it broadcasts the SSID automatically and whether I can find out these things when I get over there! I have definitely got a WEP key so if all goes well I'd just like to be able to give them that and off they go....... :roll:

I might well need you again Brooke when I'm in a complete muddle in France - so glad the willow's recovering but a bit worrying about the water level though isn't it, hope it's something that can be fixed.

Kathy
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Kathy,

Do they have to do anything at all?? I have Livebox installed and ticking over nicely with no key or codes at all. When guests arrive with their own laptop they just power up, lock onto the network and slip into surf mode...

Rab
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Rocket Rab wrote:Kathy,

Do they have to do anything at all?? I have Livebox installed and ticking over nicely with no key or codes at all. When guests arrive with their own laptop they just power up, lock onto the network and slip into surf mode...

Rab
Excellent Rab, that's 2 people I can call on to help then! So this 'lock onto the network' bit, what actually happens? Turn laptop on, then does something automatically happen? Their laptop finds the Livebox all on its own?:shock:
Kathy
Martha

Post by Martha »

That's what I do, no mac/pc problems then, and it's all much simpler. I guess it depends on how likely other people are to be using your bandwidth - in our case it's just our neighbour which is fine.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

We're quite rural Firebug, a holiday home on one side of us owned by a couple of 90 yr olds who are only there a couple of times a year - definitely haven't got a pc! The other side of us haven't got one either and then there's a farm so no problems there really.

The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is whether I've configured it right in the first place to enable other people to access it easily.

Kathy
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

kathyg wrote:[ Their laptop finds the Livebox all on its own?:shock:
Yep, that is about the essence of it.

Picture this happy scene:

Guest arrives ... mmm nice place (or not)...blah blah blah.
Now we get to the nitty-gritty:
- Er, so will my laptop work here, then?
- It should do, yes (that's me..)
- Well, let's give it a whirl...

Flops onto sofa clutching laptop. Wife and Rab flanked on either side, a-gog (or not..). Turns on and - yay! - network detected within a minute. Bingo. One happy punter.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

kathyg wrote: The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is whether I've configured it right in the first place to enable other people to access it easily.
I don't think I configured anything, Kathy, just went through the installation instructions step by step, holding my breath and with toes firmly crossed!
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Excellent, that's exactly what I'd like to happen! Watch this space, I'll probably be in touch round about the middle of June.......... :roll:

Kathy
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

I've crossed my ears for you, Kathy, just to make sure!