Please take the time to review other people's sites

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
paolo

Please take the time to review other people's sites

Post by paolo »

Hi,

If you put your site up for review by other rental owners, please remember that you are kindly requested to take the time to look at a couple of other sites in the Website Review section. It doesn't have to be anything in-depth or technical, just a gut reaction will do. Gut reactions are good - they tell us whether our sites are putting across the right messages.

It's just that I haven't seen a lot of reciprocal reviewing here lately...
Paolo
Lay My Hat
tansy

Post by tansy »

I too have just noticed that some folk are using the forum for reviews and ideas...then that is that, we don't hear anything from them again...naughty I think as surely we should all be pitching in our ideas and experiences...isn't this a forum after all?

So come on - join in even if it to tell what colour towels you have :wink:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Tansy,
...then that is that, we don't hear anything from them again...naughty I think
Is this not just a symptom of modern day society?

Sometimes I will spend a lot of time discussing with potential visitors' their individual requirements, almost down to the exact colour of the toilet paper (do some colours work better than others?) and then - silence. Not even the courtesy of a "Thank you, but we are going elsewhere".

Alan
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Tansy said"So come on - join in even if it to tell what colour towels you have"- we could have a whole new discussion on this- towels part 2!! :wink:
Humph,to be serious though...yep, if people don't discuss it makes some of us feel a bit silly talking to ourselves ( no comment!),also you do worry that you might be "hogging" cybertime a bit!! All contributions are good,we all need ideas to bounce our own off. We don't all need to agree- healthy disagreement can be ,well, just that- healthy!!
If all else fails we could take up Alan's discussion on loo paper colours! :wink: SORRY,yikes, I could feel a cyber-slap come on from the Traffic Warden then :wink: :lol: :D

www.thepetitmanoir.com
enid

Post by enid »

I am very aware of the help the website reviewers gave me and I do try to respond to requests to review other people's. Sometimes though by the time I get there, there have already been some very pertinent reviews and I feel that I have nothing to add - but I shall try to put something - even if it's just a me too kind of comment!
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Other forums insist on a minimum number of postings before they get a website review. This should be something to ponder - I think it is a good idea and would probably eliminate 80-90% of those people.

I am sure that even if their initial intention was only to get the minimum number of posts and then ask for a review, then they would also see what a useful this is and stick around?
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
paolo

Post by paolo »

reddevil wrote:Other forums insist on a minimum number of postings before they get a website review.
That was originally how I was going to do it, but I read a forum on SEO which requires 20 posts before you can get a site review - I still haven't qualified after 18 months because basically I cannot add anything to the discussion - there are lots of experts there and I am not one of them. I didn't want to replicate that here.

I think there are many people who read this forum and don't post, and there is nothing wrong with that. So that's why I ask that if they want a review, they take a look at a couple of other owners' sites, even if it is only to say 'I like it'. But there are people who put their site up for review who not only don't contribute anywhere else, but don't bother acknowledging the reviews they get. That is very cheeky!

Personally I don't review sites of people whose sole contribution to the forum is a request for site review, and I suggest we all do that.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Personally I don't review sites of people whose sole contribution to the forum is a request for site review, and I suggest we all do that.
Paolo, but what you are saying above is just the same as a rule saying you must post a certain number of times before requesting a website review?? I understand that some people may just want to read and that is OK, and nobody is an expert and so I guess would want to know a bit more and will be able to ask questions. If they do not feel comfortable asking questions then surely they would not want to ask for a review either? I vote that we put a minimum posting of 5-10 - what do others think?
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
tansy

Post by tansy »

It's a tricky one this - how about they at least introduce themselves before they can ask for review? so we get to know who they are ...bit like going into the pub...you don't start a conversation without introducing yourself...well if you do ...then you introduce youself...sorry it's the Irish in me coming out now...I know what I mean.

Must go and plant my tomatoes.
oskar

Post by oskar »

I think it should be left as it is.

After all, it´s like enquiries - some you win and some you lose. You may get an enquiry which leads to all kinds of questions toing and froing, and in the end you put in a lot of hard work and get nothing for it. That´s just part of the game, you win some, you lose some.

Why does anyone give their opinion on a site? It´s because they want to help the person who´s asked. If that person then takes the advice and disappears, so what? I´m the Administrator of a holiday forum and lots of people come on asking advice about their holiday. I, and others who answer, don´t expect the person asking the question to have to stay on the forum and make other postings. Most times the person receives the advice and you never hear from them again. So what? You´ve helped them with your advice, that´s why you´ve answered, and that should be enough that you´ve hopefully helped someone have a good holiday. Sometimes the person will stay on the forum and play a part in it. Great! You´ve gained that extra benefit. But should it be a prerequisite? I don´t think so.
paolo

Post by paolo »

I'm somewhere in the middle of these positions. Suggesting people post some reviews is the same effectively as suggesting they make a few posts before, or soon after, asking for a review. It's just asking them to give something back. I think I prefer this to having a qualifying number of posts, but I am open to persuasion but if more people think otherwise then that is what we will do.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

What is the point of having posts from people who don't want to make them? It's not difficult to post "I don't like the colour" or "I like your web site" 20 times & people who don't want to post aren't going to write much more than that if posting a review becomes a pre requisite to asking for comments on a web site.
It would be much easier for us not to review a web site at all if we prefer to limit our time to helping other (real) posters.
Best,
Alexia.
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Like many others here, I try to log onto LMH at least once a day. I think the problem with the reviews is that there are just so many of them. I'm afraid I don't have time to give feedback on all, but I do try to look at a couple now and again. I value the advice I have gained from the forum and so feel it is importnat to try and give something back.

Perhaps the way forward might be to ask anyone requesting a review to look at least to others and give feedback. I think that's sort of where Paulo started.

Carole-Anne
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I agree with Alexia. Leave well alone.

For those who choose to do so, just ignore a request for a review if there are no other postings from the person requesting the review.

Alan
enid

Post by enid »

I agree to leaving it to individuals to decide whether to review or not - but Paolo is right that if we have our site reviewed we should give something back to others. If people are only using the site to get their own website reviewed that's their loss as they are missing all the other good advice and camaraderie (sp - I confess I checked it!)