Terrazas de la Torre

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.

Would this site keep people interested enough to book

Yes
33%
Maybe
27%
Not at all
40%

Total votes: 15

Billywiz

Terrazas de la Torre

Post by Billywiz »

I design websites both as a hobby and small business and created this website to try to get some bookings when the development is completed hopefully early 2009. At the moment it is mostly information about the resort and facilities but there is a page with Paypal on it for anyone who would like to book in advance (not holding my breath on that one). The main idea of the site is to get it well established with Google and the other lesser engines so that in early 2009 my site will be well recognised. I have links from various holiday rental sites that help with my ranking and the site is reasonably ranked with various keywords. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

www.terrazasdelatorreapartment.com
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

I'm afraid it doesn't work on 1074x768!

Also it wanting you to enter your name before the page loads is a total no-no for me!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

You can just press OK I think TP to get around that.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

yep, but it would put me off going any further, personally :)
Billywiz

Post by Billywiz »

Thankyou for your responses. tree-peony can you explain what doesn't work in 1074x768 as the site was specifically designed for 1024x768. That prompt was only added yesterday and I wasn't too sure about it so I will see what sort of response I get from this forum about it before deciding to leave it on or take it off.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

the text is scrambled and overlayed!
Billywiz

Post by Billywiz »

Hmmmm -- tree-peony that is strange, can you let me know what browser you are using and if you have your DPI set at 120 or above as the site is usually viewed at 96 DPI. I do have a fix that I can implement on the site if need be.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

120 dpi and IE6
Billywiz

Post by Billywiz »

tree-peoni, I will set about the changes to the 120 DPI fix as soon as I can, do you have the same results with other sites you view in 120 DPI or do they come through as normal. I appreciate your comments, thank you.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

I don't normally have a problem! There are a few "home made" websites that do the same thing, but that's why I hate "Flash" sites! It's a big a turn off for me as background music on sites :shock: It's just too reliant on fast connections and compliant systems :)
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

It all works perfectly for me using IE 7, Netscape 8.1 and Firefox 2.0.0.3.

I have scripting windows disabled in IE 7 so there I don’t even get the “log in� request.

I am not a fan of background music but I don’t think the music chosen detracts from this particular Site. It’s a pity you rely so heavily on users having broadband connections. It’s OK for me but it must be a bit of a pain for those on dial-up.

Fluffy
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Using Firefox 1.5, Win XPPro, 1024 x 768

1) Baffled by the opening script asking for my name - within 5 secs of opening up a webpage - would scare most people off - or is it just my ignorance?

2) Music big turn off - why have it? Forced listening, while waiting on telephones, drives me 'round the bend. Yes, I know I can switch if off, but it's annoying - trust me.

3) Proof-reading needed - grocers' apostrophes main culprint.

4) Buenos D?as on heading - not sure if there's meant to be an accent there - no from memory - but weird display with the question mark.

5) Just too many distractions on your home page. Where's further info on what you're actually advertising? Oh, yes - apartment - one of 18 choices.

6) Do you really get and handle enquiries for 2011?

7) If you must have rotating image displays, slow it down. Not sure what the Thai lady has to do with it.

8 ) Which country? All those resort names exist in Dominican Republic, Costa Rica and the Philippines. Which is it?

9) On apartment page, why is it golfers that need heating?

10) What is that compass and what does it do? It's fun to play with, though.

Apologies - having a bad day.

MG
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Im with TP about the log in as well

I would normally switch off then and try someone else..
Billywiz

Post by Billywiz »

Thank you for all the input so far. I have changed a few things in response to the replies, first of all I have placed a fix for visitors who view in 120 DPI, second the music has been taken off (I agree it could be annoying ) and third the prompt has also been taken off, that was something I placed in at the last minute and the more I view the page the more annoying it got, so it was binned. In reply to one of mountain goats observations there should be an accent over Buenos Días, I typed "Good Morning" into the Babelfish translator and that was the translation I got. I will be looking into all suggestions so please keep them coming.

Thanks
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Billywiz,

Firstly let me get some personal prejudices out the way:
I hate background music, animated gifs and mouse trails.
(I notice you've already removed the music, and didn't use mouse trails, so at least 2 stars to you !).

To be constructive, though. I have designed a number of websites myself and I was very impressed with the overall look and feel that you have achieved. I like the minimalist design, the graphical images with plenty of white space around, and your general positioning of text and graphics is adventurous and aesthetically pleasing.

So why ruin it on the front page with that rectangular thing right smack in the middle ? OK, from my point of view its made worse by having flashing images, but even without those I feel that it breaks up a well presented page.

The second issue (alluded to by MG above) is the arrangement of your navigation links. You offer loads of additionally useful information, but the visitor can too easily miss the important ones that enable him/her to see what it is you are offering and how to buy it. Laying out the navigation links in 3 rows is unusual, but not unpleasant. The problem is deciding whether the top row is the important one, or the bottom row. This will be different from one visitor to the next, so perhaps you need to find some other way to emphasise the key links.

But finally, my biggest surprise, and I'm still not sure if this is good or bad, was that each link opened in a NEW window and one has to close that window to move on. Two issues here. Its an extra clcik to close the window, and there is no navigation on any of your ancilliary pages, so feels like a dead end.... Very brave move, quite unusual and I wonder if its wise ?

Personal views - but hope they help.