Unexpected noisy works next door

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Fil

Unexpected noisy works next door

Post by Fil »

Last week a shop in the next door building went into renovation works causing some noisy periods during the day. I was not aware of this but guests left a note saying how they had a great time and that the apartment was gorgeous but the days were noisy because of these works.

I apologized of course, even though had no responsibility at all and could not have informed in advance.

Has anyone been through this ? What did you do ?
What would you do in a situation where you are informed of works going on next door at a certain period after you have accepted one booking for that same period?

Would appreciate your sharinh your experiences / opinions.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Fil

Our neighbours decided to demolish a load of wooden sheds over the Easter weekend. It made a lot of noise and a lot of dust. Luckily for us our guests were good friends and were adamant that it wasn't an issue for them. We still felt bad though because they'd paid to rent the gite and the noise did spoil their enjoyment of what was a lovely weekend.

I think if they'd been strangers we'd have perhaps bought them a bottle of champers or treated them to a meal out somewhere, just to acknowledge that there had been a problem and to diffuse the situtation. I know you weren't able to do this because you found out afterwards and I'm not sure what I'd do in that case, I suppose it depends on the level of disturbance and the guests themselves. Perhaps some gift vouchers in the post with the damage deposit return?

Certainly if I knew in advance that there was going to be a noise problem I think you would have to warn the guests. Again, what you would offer would depend on the level of disturbance and the guests themselves.

The last week in May, we had planned to keep free to replace a section of roof on one of the buildings next to our gite. I had a women ring asking if she could book the gite so I said that she could but that there could possibly be some noise and disturbance, but she was completely unconcerned saying that she they would be out and about most of the time anyway. In the end it rained too much to do the roof so it wasn't an issue, but I think if I'd not warned her and then done the work, it would have been a problem.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

hi Fil - I'm not about to offer any wisdom over what to do, but I can empathise as I'm currently feeling like I live in the middle of a building site and am praying it all settles down before my first guests arrive.

After excavating a huge hole in November in a field 300mtrs away and telling everyone 'it is only a small casita'. Just this week they've erected the sign that tells us its a 2 storey building of locals/apartment. The concrete is being poured as I speak.

Add to that - I am STILL waiting for our perfectly OK pavement that the council insisted on extending to be tiled. We've only been waiting since January...and you can bet they'll do it in tourist season.

However the worst is that my next door neighbour has decided (after having all bloody winter to do such work) that he is having a huge excavation done under his house for a store-room (this man is a lottery winner - €9m - and has more money than sense IMO)
Trouble is the vibrations of them tunneling through earth can be felt all along to our (& our neighbours) house.
The workmen have assured my husband they'll have finished the tunneling in 2 days time. I so hope so.

I am praying that there is not too much disruption - but I fear this year is going to be one long round of disgruntled guests if there is. :cry:

I really don't know what the answer is. Telling guests at this late stage means they wouldn't find accommodation easily...and I'm fuming because this is a holiday island where on the coast ALL noisy work has to stop in the tourist season but apparently this doesn't extend into the country :roll:

Mouse in a dilemma
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

I sympathise! I had this problem earlier this year. The day after a couple moved in to the apartment, work began upstairs on the bedroom - at 7am!! It continued for several hours as they dug up the floor and knocked down walls.

The owner upstairs had warned me their would be work - the week before! When I rang to ask what had happened, he told me the work had been postponed for a week. Gee thanks. I had no-one booked in the week before so had decided to not let it or to warn anyone.

I gave him a 12per cent refund immediately and he was happy with that and agreed to stay. It may seem a lot but I knew the work would continue on the weekdays, and early, and the only alternative accommodation was going to cost (me) more.

The worst was that the poor man had booked this week away to get away from the noise at home - where his neighbour was rebuilding!!
Lounging on the lily pad...