Dumb Blog question

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Musetta

Dumb Blog question

Post by Musetta »

ok...so some of you kknkow that in my quest for free advertising, I've started playing arouond with a Bolg...

so...a question (that I couldn't finid an answer to by doing a "search")....

do words count the same to search engines in pages as in posts?? do you know what I mean?? if I want people to find me by searching on google for "Amalfi Coast" (for example)...and it is listed on a page I create of "day Trips", will it come up as well as if I write a daily Post about day trips...or just amalfi or whatever.

Thanks for any tips! (I'm still shocked I was ablee to figure the blogging thing out at ALL!)
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Musetta, I'm seriously impressed, great blog!

You could try:

http://tinyurl.com/2o5jyv

but also the WP Forum at:

http://wordpress.org/support/

making sure you mention you're hosted by wordpress.com - you'll get serious geek answers there.

Are you 100% sure you want the WordPress blurb in your header title? - you should be able to change that to some useful keywords relevant to your site....

And you've submitted to Google, MSN, Yahoo?

MG
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

ha! see...you're loosing me already :-)

thanks for the help forum links..hopefully the answers will not be over my head! I get lost easily with tech. stuff ;-)

yes...need to change the wordpress thing at the top...need to figure out how! ;-)

same with the search engines...need to figure out how to submit :-) project for today! learning as I go!!

thanks again!
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Mountain Goat wrote:
Are you 100% sure you want the WordPress blurb in your header title? - you should be able to change that to some useful keywords
MG
hey! did it :-) yeah! thanks for pointing ouot that it was an option :-) now...just need to decide WHAT key words to put in the heading :-)
Thanks!!!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

For search engine submission you could try these:

Google

MSN

Yahoo

but you might wait a while for a serious geek to come by and direct you better......though can't do many of us any harm?

BTW, when you upload those images, you should be given the option to add Alternate Text captions - this is important, and good search engine bait.

There you go - just wait 4 -6 weeks and you're there!

MG
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

OMG Musetta - Wow wow wow!!!!!

You've overtaken me already! Your blog looks SO impressive - well done! Have you used a standard template? If so, which one? When I was setting up my blog I couldn't find one I liked which allowed you to have photo at the top of the page.

One minor point - when someone clicks on any of your links, the new website is displayed in the same window as your blog, so if they start surfing from there, they won't get back to your blog unless they keep clicking the back button umpteen times. For this reason, I always open linked sites in a new window - To do this, go to the "Blogroll" section, Click to edit each link, and change the "target" to _blank.

Also, my understanding is that it is not necessary for you to submit your blog to any search engines - apparently they love wordpress and their spiders will soon find you all by themselves! This is certainly what happened to me...

Good Luck!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Fantastic job, Musetta!!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I;ve gone to add another post and pictur onto my blog, and after downloading the pic, it doesn't show in the snap preview like the rest. Not sure what I've done, so I've deleted it for now. Any suggestions anyone?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

doesn't show in the snap preview

Which preview, Helen? Are you uploading from your PC or are the images hosted somewhere else?

Or do you mean the Snap preview (see holidaypad.net and hover over the visit link on the ad {beige background} at the top right of home page)?

MG
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Yes, that's it. I just uploaded all the rest I think, but I'm going to have another look this afternoon.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

ok...firstly...how great...when I check the "stats" this am (what a BAD habit that is!) I noticed that someone already found me from a search engine (!) that was quick!! (ok....so not searching for a vacation rental...but hey...I'll take it!) :-)

THANKS SO MUCH for telling me how to fix the links...spent ages yesterday trying to figure it out!!! My project for today :-)

Template...yes.....standard...let me go check which one (becasue I played with SO many of them and tried all kinds of pictures before I settled on this one! hard to recall!)...ok...it's this one: "Connections by Patricia Muller
A super classy two-column theme with widgets and a customizable header" I think it came out the best...and I tried them all I think!!

Helen- before you send your downloaded photo to the editor (i.e put it in the page), make sure the "file" choioce is checked...I didn't and so my photos in my very first post don't enlarge...you just see the home page....also...I noticed some of the previews are rather touchy ;-) they work at times, and sometime they say they are wating in a que...don't get it...but I was worried and then they started working...

now...last project is to figure ouot how to put the links in order...I've cleverly titled them so that they come out ok in ABC order :-) but I know there's a better way!

Thank you, thank you everyone for #1 the idea to do this!! and #2 helping me figure it out!!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

That's it. I knew I had to tick something else for the snap preview to work. Thanks :D
ravetildon
Location: I love Travel! - We Are Based Around San Francisco, California

wordpress info

Post by ravetildon »

Everything works the same no matter what you are on.

The most important thing in a blog (or anything) is the page title.

So if you want to rank for Italy vacation rentals, make the post title "Italy vacation rentals". and then in your content make sure you keep repeating that phrase a bit.