How to deal with damp?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
shar

How to deal with damp?

Post by shar »

Hi All

Here we are in lovely Sri Lanka in our soon to be opened guest house. All lovely except - there has been lots of rain lately and our bedsheets are feeling very damp :?

Dampness is something in which I have no experience (having lived most of my life in sub tropical or arid climes, and I am hoping to get some ideas for dealing with damp before it turns into a big problem. The weather here is currently slightly cooler than normal but still around 24-28C so not cool enough to warrant a heater. Any ideas?

TIA :)
Expat NZ/Aussies living in Dubai with a holiday home in Unawatuna, Sri Lanka.
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

I have little experience of living in hot damp climates, I have done hot and damp but not at the same time. I believe it is a big problem in Florida and they deal with it with dehumidifiers. I expect people who live there will either confirm or deny this.
tavi

Post by tavi »

electric dehumidifiers, though you need to keep doors and windows closed - not sure how that works in your temperatures.

We have central heating at home but, unless it's really cold, all this generally does is warm up the damp air - never dries it.

Next house I build I want a central dehumidifying system :)

edit: clearly our daytime winter temperatures are maybe 14-20 ish (not as hot as yours.........)