Compensation for defective hob? Your thoughts please!

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Mouse wrote:Yesterday we got asked; how easy is for me to purchase gas canisters in Ibiza as we thought we'd bring over a camping stove to cook on to save money
Mouse
x
I’m being very slow this morning. When the cost of fuel is included in the overall price how in hell is buying gas canisters saving money – even in an apartment?

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I always have a spare fridge - an am thinking about a spare dishwasher.
Slightly off topic, but for the last couple of years I have bought all my big electrical appliances from the local dealer (Gitem) as the guarantee is usually 2 years and if there is a problem with anything at all they will come out the same day rather than up to 72 hours later. The appliances might be slighty more expensive than big shops like Carrefour or BUT, but the after sales service is second to none and M Dinard works on Saturday which is great if the problem is only discovered at the changeover.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Exactly!!!

Thats what is so bizarre :lol:

Hey and thats not the worst we've had to deal with (but I digress)

Mouse (who gently suggested he'd be better to stick with the equipment in the apartment he'd rented)
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

La Vache wrote:I always have a spare fridge - an am thinking about a spare dishwasher.
Slightly off topic, but for the last couple of years I have bought all my big electrical appliances from the local dealer (Gitem) as the guarantee is usually 2 years and if there is a problem with anything at all they will come out the same day rather than up to 72 hours later. The appliances might be slighty more expensive than big shops like Carrefour or BUT, but the after sales service is second to none and M Dinard works on Saturday which is great if the problem is only discovered at the changeover.
I'll endorse that, Gitem's prices are a little higher but their service is much, much better.

Alan
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

One in Briancon, so I'll remember that. Need to replace our mini-oven before the winter.
Stu

Post by Stu »

I'd tell 'em to bugger off to Mc Donalds then! :lol:

Seriously, it never fails to amaze me the differences in guests. Your guests the previous week had a WHOLE week of no hob. Did it spoil their holiday? Not a bit by the sounds of it. Good God, we've had holidays in some right dives, we've camped and we've roughed it. We're hardy folk, and we know that sometimes things break. I certainly wouldn't give them €100 for a meal, especially as my cynical mind would pocket the cash and order a pizza.... :lol:

Don't forget you've already discounted by 5%! A bottle of good wine should suffice, and I personally would be more than happy with that.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Stu & Syb wrote:I'd tell 'em to bugger off to Mc Donalds then! :lol:
:lol: Love it! Thanks Stu & Syb - that's given me some good laugh therapy!!
Ju

Post by Ju »

La Vache wrote:I always have a spare fridge - an am thinking about a spare dishwasher.
We now have a spare pool pump for the same reason, the last time one broke it was in the shop for 3 weeks, and we got a new one within 4 days, so we now have one spare.

I don't have a spare dishwasher or fridge, but I have been known to swap the gite one with ours so it is us who have to live without and not the paying guests.

Ju
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

A dishwasher I can live without and swap - I've done that before too, but a fridge I couldn't live without, paying guests or no paying guests! Touch wood I've only had a fridge break down once - and the guests didn't mention it until the evening (when I was around watering the flowers outside their gite when) - all the shops were shut, so I was very glad I had a spare!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Poor RR - I too am incensed that your guests have been so petty and awkward - esp after having met you, seen how caring you are, and been given a home made choccy cake! Grrr!!!

I agree with those who felt that €100 was over-generous under the circs - with oven, microwave for heaven's sake, and grill. Half that as a token gesture is still more than is warranted, but I'd probably do that. Do you supply a barbecue BTW?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

as we thought we'd bring over a camping stove to cook on to save money
I have met people in hotels whove bought a sandwich toaster with them so they can make cheap snacks :shock: ...
Someone last year did complain that they could get the extractor fan to work[they hadnt switched it on] and from the tone of the letter expected compensation..
I think La Vache is right a lot of families do eat in apart from the budget consideration..some children are picky eaters and maybe it seems less trouble than not being able to find something on the menu that suits.
When my neice and her family holidayed with us last year her daughter ordered prawns but they came whole which wasnt what she was expecting..and she refused to eat them..
So she insisted in having her mothers Onion Rings[which was really calemira I know thats not right :roll: ]..The next day in the supermarket she noticed the squid and was saying how she didnt know how anyone could ever eat it :roll:
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Do you supply a barbecue BTW
Good point GG! :D I know alot of our guests rarely use our hob and oven as they tend to use the outside stone BBQ rather than cook inside!
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

No, we don't supply a barbecue at this house, unfortunately; (we can't, for various reasons), but this is made clear to guests before they book...

Otherwise, yes, it would certainly be a good alternative option..