Does anybody use holidayrentals.org?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Christine Kenyon

Does anybody use holidayrentals.org?

Post by Christine Kenyon »

I've just been contacted by holidayrentals.org offering a free listing - and they state that the listing will always be free. Just thought it might be of interest to other Forum members. It looks like they have a good choice of holiday rentals in France, Canaries, Florida and the UK.

I would be interested to know if anyone has used them. I'm not expecting to be swamped with enquiries, but hopefully it's another in-bound link.

Cheers

Christine
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

It's in my inbox to .........Seymour sends bisous!!
Cheers
PC
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Christine,

I've never used it... can you actually link to your own site? I only did a quick search but I didn't see any properties that did that. Seems like only about half of rental sites allow it.

Cheers!
Brooke
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

I just hope that Wanda doesn't find out about Seymour's bisous (although I read it as "bisons" at first .... you what!?!?) or else I'm in trouble :P
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Seymour is Corsican! And in Corsica It's normal to kiss another man's "bison" on the check!
Cheers
PC
charles

Post by charles »

As they're set up as a .org one would hope that they abide by the rules by running as a non-profit organisation. If they're commercial then they're breaching on-line selling regulations by not providing any company information, a phone number and an address - at least for those services that are chargeable.
(i) the identity of the supplier and, where the contract requires payment in advance, the supplier's address;
From The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000.
PIR advocates .ORG for noncommercial uses. Noncommercial endeavors are those not conducted or maintained for the purpose of making a profit. This wide range includes (but isn't limited to) charitable, artistic, scientific, personal, educational, social, cultural, and religious endeavors.
From Public Interest Registry webiste.

Me thinks someones trying to piggy-back on the fortunes of another similarly named company...
Charles
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I signed up with them about 6 months ago and have had zilch enquiries so far................. :lol:
paolo

Post by paolo »

I got their spam email today too. I've added them to my blacklist. There is something vaguely familiar-sounding about their name isn't there?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

When we chose our domain name we were given the option of .org .com .co.uk........it does not take the brains of an Arch Bishop to work out which way we went, but at no point were we told the implications of taking an .org address! Is this info widely available??
Cheers
PC
paolo

Post by paolo »

I have an .org for a rental site - not ideal, but as far as I know there is nothing illegal about an .org for a commercial site. It's just preferable that people use it for non-commercial sites for classification purposes.

I am rather surprised that the real holiday-rentals didn't buy all the obvious variants on their name to stop this sort of thing.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
paolo

Post by paolo »

Paul Carmel wrote:it does not take the brains of an Arch Bishop to work out which way we went
Paul, that's a new phrase you've added to my vocabulary!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
tansy

Post by tansy »

I'm not sure if the Arch Bishop does have any brains with the division they all seem to squabbling over :roll:

The Pope can't speak and the Anglians can't agree & they all wonder why no one goes to Church anymore...hey ho!
Darren

Post by Darren »

Even though I don't agree about owners receiving marketing emails from HR companies (I market my dad's apartment so I can understand why people get miffed!) but I've read that because the email is business to business it is not breaking any UCE regulations either in the US or in Europe.

Also everyone has different thoughts on what the term SPAM means; if you get a targeted email that is sent to you some people think this is not SPAM.

Not sure if this is quite true, but has anyone heard of this?

SPAM in my eyes is receiving an inbox full of emails from pharmacy and adults websites, if someone emails me to ask if I want to market my website with them, I don't classify that as SPAM.

Sorry if I slightly changed the content of the thread but wondered what other peoples thoughts are.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I consider spam to be unsolicited e-mail from an unknown contact. Any unsolicited, unknown mail.

That's the only definition I've ever heard, but I'm not sure what the legal definition is... :)
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

In Europe, where the EU regulation is in place (e.g. the UK) you may not send anyone a commercial email unless you have their prior permission to send that email.

Exceptions are: you can send unsolicited emails to a business address; and you can email someone with whom you have an existing client relationship (i.e. they have bought something off you in the past).

So for instance the Lay My Hat newsletter only goes out to those who have subscribed, thereby giving me permission to email them.

Anything else is spam!
Paolo
Lay My Hat