Is this a normal style booking enquiry?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
The Olive Grove

Is this a normal style booking enquiry?

Post by The Olive Grove »

Arrival date: 14/07/2007
Departure date: 21/07/2007
Total no in party: 4 (including children)
No of children:
Further info:
i would like to book your
house,is possible?

Is the above, very short enquiry, usual? It came from Spain.

Margaret
Last edited by The Olive Grove on Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Olive :)
Doesnt look too scammy yet[but a bit vague]
...Though they have put specific dates which is unusual if it is a scam[as they want everyone to have availability......
I mean how odd would it look if you said sorry no availabilty except for next February and they came back with thats fine :roll: ]
Just be wary...

I think sometimes if English isnt their first language especially that dont chit chat much just get to the point......
The Olive Grove

Thanks Big Sis. Didn't expect a reply so soon, no-one seemed to be around when I posted.

I've only just seen the enquiry myself, it came in at 11.30 last night. I've also just added that the enquiry gave a Spanish telephone number.

Will shoot off an acknowledgement of the enquiry, asking for more details - is that the ok thing to do?

Margaret
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thanks Big Sis. Didn't expect a reply so soon, no-one seemed to be around when I posted.
Im always up this early :oops: dont usually have much company though :wink:
Being a Spanish phone number as well seems OK...Having tried to learn Spanish it is a direct language[as you must know ] so I feel even more that this isnt a scam..
but as you know we never know ..
Ask Lots of questions..but I think this might be OK...
When the others are about Im sure they will give you their thoughts as well..
Keep us posted :wink:
The Olive Grove

Thanks big sis, will do. As I only have one booking so far, and this is still only my 6 or 7th enquiry, I want to get it right, without scaring potential guests away.

I'm usually up by now too, as it is starting to warm up quite a lot here now.

Margaret
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Margaret, if this enquiry came from a listing site you advertise on or an enquiry form on your personal website, its brevity isn't unusual, even if English is their first language. I keep my availability calendars up to date, so very often people will write to confirm their slot is still free or even to confirm that it's not! It's when you reply and they come back to you to take things a stage further that you tend to get a feel about the group, so I wouldn't worry. In fact the scammers are often the ones who come up with more stuff at the initial enquiry stage!

Of course the best enquiries to handle are those which come by phone.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
The Olive Grove

Thanks GG

OK, off to compose my reply. I really need to get to the stage where I have "stock paragraphs" ready when dealing with enquiries.

Margaret
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I tend to reply individually, as by the time you fiddle about personalising a standard email (putting in their names and the dates they have specified) you could have done the whole thing. I respond briefly to the initial enquiry but with warmth - I often get standardised emails from enquirers, who have sent off a load to owners who've been lucky enough to make their short-list ( :wink:) and I really don't like them, so it's something to think about perhaps?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
The Olive Grove

Gascony Goat wrote:I tend to reply individually, as by the time you fiddle about personalising a standard email (putting in their names and the dates they have specified) you could have done the whole thing. I respond briefly to the initial enquiry but with warmth - I often get standardised emails from enquirers, who have sent off a load to owners who've been lucky enough to make their short-list ( :wink:) and I really don't like them, so it's something to think about perhaps?
I don't really like the either, hubby swears by them. I just worry that without standard text in these early days I may miss out something important.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Olive I do the same as GG..

Individual....
you can always have a note beside you to remind you of what you should include...
But as in all things its a personal choice... :wink:
The Olive Grove

Big Sis.. wrote:Hi Olive I do the same as GG..

Individual....
you can always have a note beside you to remind you of what you should include...
But as in all things its a personal choice... :wink:
Well I prefer the individual approach too, so that is what I will do, until I find a reason why I shouldn't. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Of course.... :wink:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Margaret,

That looks to me exactly like an extract from a Holday Rentals enquiry, is it?

Alan
The Olive Grove

Hi Alan

Yes it is.
Fil

Post by Fil »

I don't think it is a scam. Precise dates. One week only. And coming from a spaniard it is understandable they don't write a lot in english. Did you ask for more info ?