Printed Brochures

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
oskar

Printed Brochures

Post by oskar »

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, I've done a search and can't find anything.

Do you think in this age of the internet, that there's still a place for a glossy printed brochure to promote, in particular, a property aimed at discerning clients? Do people still send out things to enquirers, or is it a thing of the past?

Would the money be better spent on internet advertising? :?:
tansy

Post by tansy »

I think Alan does his on PDF which seems a good idea...

I'm thinking about it to perhaps send with the info about the area when I confirm a booking...but can't see how to use brochures as a sales tool...the mail shot would be huge to say the least..tourist offices waste of time as folk are her already!

Interested to hear other folk's thoughts
debk

Post by debk »

I recently began designing a brochure with the idea of providing it to local conference center managers and embassies (and perhaps the HR dept for major international employers), any of which might be a good source of guests for our in-city, high-end properties. Not sure when I will make time to finish this project... but would love to hear other's thoughts/experiences.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Tansy,
I think Alan does his on PDF which seems a good idea...

You are quite right – I do.

When it comes to brochures I think there are two approaches.

The first is the commercial one. They are produced in their thousands and sprinkled like confetti at a wedding. I don’t think this is a practical approach for the private individual. The costs of production and distribution are huge. The success rate is microscopic and the content is set in stone.

The second is the individual one. They are only produced on request. The costs are minimal and the content can be updated at any time.

When I embarked on producing a brochure I did not see it just as something I would print and send in the post. What I wanted was a much more flexible situation where I could print and post but I could also burn to a CD or floppy-disk or send as an e-mail attachment. I looked at various alternatives (e.g. MS Publisher, MS Word) and decided that PDF was the right format for me. Why PDF? Because PDF is cross-platform, the files are reasonably compact and the Reader is a free download if the customer doesn’t already have it. I have found the easiest way is to prepare the brochure in MS Word (the later versions are quite powerful in their desk top publishing capabilities) and then convert to a PDF. I am extremely lucky in having Adobe Acrobat Professional 6 but programs like CutePDF do a pretty good job.

I have achieved what I set out to do. I have a brochure which I can update at any time. I can print it or burn it to CD or floppy or attach it to an e-mail. Although it is 10 pages long and contains many, many pictures the file is still under 1mb so can be attached to an e-mail without breaching the 1mb limit that some e-mail systems impose. All versions, except the printed one of course, can contain active links to any websites I care to include.

Is it worth the time and effort involved? I think so. People do ask me for a brochure but perhaps that’s because I say I have one. They appear to appreciate getting a printed product or being able to print their own. They can look at it at their leisure and show it to their friends. The brochure can contain much more information and pictures than do any of the Property Listing Sites.

At the end of the day it forms part of an overall marketing strategy in much the same way as does a personal website.

Debk,

Your idea sounds much more like the commercial rather than the private option. When it comes to producing brochures in large numbers there is no question that privately produced and printed brochures can be extortionately expensive and time consuming. The very best double sided photo-quality paper will cost you in the region of 50p per page, your printer will take for ever to produce the brochures and will eat ink at an alarming rate. If you want a run of anything more than a couple of dozen go and discuss it with your local print shop.

Did any of that help anyone?

Alan
debk

Post by debk »

Hi, Alan -

Yes, your info was very helpful. Thanks!

I found MSWord pretty limited for what I wanted to do as centering a photo perfectly could take all day, if I got compulsive about it. Which I can. :oops: Luckily the local Staples kids are usually willing to drop a file into Photoshop and ooch things around. (even with "ooch" being a difficult word to translate into Portuguese)

I was considering having a max of 40 printed so that I could deliver 3-4 brochures to the handful of local embassies and major conference centers. (The brochure is for the conference managers and for posting at the embassies, not for actual guests.) The goal would be to create a highly appealing visual brochure that causes key people to remember us... and then they could send pogos --potential guests-- to the VisitingPortugal website for up-to-date, and more complete, information.

Not sure how much biz this might generate, but playing with the brochure layout was a nice evening's entertainment. Except for that stupid photo centering.

I'll be watching this space closely to learn more and see whether this project stays on the "to-do someday" list. Thanks again.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Debk,

It sounds as though you really need DTP (desk top publishing) - give MS Publisher a go if you have it. If not, there are shareware products which will do the job and are free or not expensive.

Take a look around the following website for downloads:-

http://www.download.com/

You might find something that takes your fancy.

Alan
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I used MS Publisher to create our welcome packet, which is sort of a brochure. Then I converted it to PDF using Acrobat 6. I send it to all our clients upon receiving final payment. They love it!

I would follow this exact procedure if I were making a double-sided glossy brochure, except that I would send it off to my local print shop and get a quote.

Though honestly, I'm sure I wouldn't make a glossy brochure -- I don't think the chances of getting a client are that high for our house using that method.
Brooke
HolidayWebs

Post by HolidayWebs »

I have a 4 page brochure plus booking form etc. that contains the same info that is on the web site (for my own apartment) that I send to anyone who phones from magazine ads etc. as I think people do like to have something on paper. It was created in Publisher but I also have a .pdf version to download on the web site.
Visit http://www.puertopollensa.com ... you'll love it!
The most beautiful resort in Mallorca.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Alan Knighting wrote:Did any of that help anyone?
Yes! :D
Paolo
Lay My Hat
A-two

Post by A-two »

I have a 6 page brochure that I created in Word. The document size is standard letter, setting is landscape and the layout is for 3 columns, which extends over 2 pages, front and back. I print onto textured grey heavyweight paper, then fold the back section inside and the front section on top. It looks quite smart and simple to do.

I can email a copy of the Word file for anyone wanting try it out as a template. Please contact me through my website.
Last edited by A-two on Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Has anyone got a template for creating a brochure on a mac, please? Or, even better, an address to down load for creating a site for free (again, on a mac - I use an ibook)? Wanadoo, Yahoo etc all offer "create your own web page for free" - but you need a pc.
I know apple.com should let me do this, but when I tried this(signed on for 2 months free trial) the only thing that happened was that I lost all my mail (previously received under wanadoo)........ you don't need the brain of an arch bishop to guess that I am hopeless with computers.
Am I the only member not to use a pc????
Best,
Alexia.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Sorry, I meant "creating a page for free" - I'm not mad enough to think that I could create a site! I'd just like a page/s to put some photos for enquirers to see.
Best,
Alexia.
tansy

Post by tansy »

Alexia - I'm on a mac cube - which I love and no way would I get rid of my mac! I've been mac now for ..well a long time... my first was a kensington!!!!

If you have office microsoft - I have done a brochure before with that...I've also pdf & Quark Express - but download software - microsoft because they own mac now do have quite a bit available for us mac users.

I once had a pc for SAGE - I'm afraid I hurled the lap top out the window in sheer frustration..NEVER again...all those layers UGH!!!
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Thanks for the encouragement, Tansy, but I couldn't bring myself to work with anything from Microsoft.........!
Any other suggestions/s are welcome - please.
Best,
Alexia.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Alexia,

If you just want a web page that's purely for photos, you might try starting a photo album from a site like Yahoo!. I've never done it myself but I know a few people who have created albums there and then shared them with me.

Other than that, does anyone know if free sites like Geocities and FortuneCity come with web site builders? I have a very old FortuneCity account, and I believe there is a web tool that allows you to upload photos and create web pages. Since it's on the web, it would be platform-independent.

I also remember seeing someone yesterday on the livingfrance forums who had a bit of free time and was advertising the creation of a free website. I've just been over there and can't seem to find it, though I didn't look that hard.

Tony also found some free open-source software -- it was previously mentioned in this post: viewtopic.php?t=373

Hope that helps!

P.S. Microsoft owns Mac?! umm... ?!?!!
Brooke