Printed Brochures

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
tansy

Post by tansy »

Brooke - unless I dreamt it and have had a complete brain fade....I think you will find that it is quite a substantial shareholding - not quite 50%....but I do get things wrong :oops: ...so do Check me out.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Hm... I just made a quick pass at Google and found this forum...
simplebits.com/notebook/2004/08/10/apple.html
post #55 has links to some official shareholdings site, and the basics are that they each own less than a percent of one another, but that some years ago MS bought some stock in Apple to keep it afloat (so Microsoft wouldn't have a monopoly), but later sold it.
Brooke
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Couple of points. MS Publisher is real easy to use and has built in templates for 3 fold brochures which work really well for (as Alan says) smaller print runs. (I used to love AdobePageMaker but lost that when I deserted my little Mac 10 years ago) I'd be happy to share any Publisher tips, just shout! I find trying to work with text boxes/columns in Word just aggravating.. :x

One thing I can't stress too much following this point
I print onto textured grey heavyweight paper
I've seen folk spend so much time and energy to produce a decent looking brochure then print it on white 60gm paper. Always use at least 100gm - something like a nice cream Conquerer with a bit of texture/watermark really gives the product a bit of edge. On thinner paper the colours "bleed" and give that real home made look.

Totally finishing the product off as well I'd always put a printed label on the envelopes (even for a one off) rather than hand address.
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

Sorry, I meant "creating a page for free" - I'm not mad enough to think that I could create a site! I'd just like a page/s to put some photos for enquirers to see.
Hi Alexia,

If you have your own webspace / domain name etc, you could easily install and use 'proper' gallery software. Some of which is really simple and really good. Take a look at ....

http://gallery.menalto.com

http://relativelyabsolute.com/spg

Hope this helps :)
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Thank you, Tony - I'll try the first one (menalto); the second one (relatively absolute) mentions Word, so I guess it isn't mac compatible.
Best,
Alexia.
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

I've come into this debate a bit late, but have read it with interest - even if I do "glaze over" a bit at some of the techie bits!

We rely heavily on the internet, recommendations and repeat bookings for our bookings, but we still have brochures for our cottages. One was designed and printed by a real designer -and funded by grant so we had thousands done. And use an insert to provide info on prices and other updates. The other is a simple double sided one which we produce ourselves - it sounds very similar to the one Joanna from Long Island uses.

We use the brochures for two purposes:

1. We run the local village shop which is one mile from one cottage and about 10 miles from other so we use this opportunity to promote our cottages - and use the brochures as the hook to talk to people about them. We do get quite a few bookings this way.

2. We send the brochures out with the confirmation of a booking and send multiple copies if someone is booking for a group so they can show the others what they've booked. Folk seem to appreciate the brochures - but I also admit that the info could be presented in a different way.

A friend of ours whose cottage is one of the main walking routes in the village has a leaflet holder on the front of her cottage and it's surprising how many people take a leaflet. A bit of a scattergun approach, but she does get bookings this way.

So whilst we depend very much on the internet, I still wouldn't be without the humble brochure!

Cheers

Christine the Luddite
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Christine,

How on earth did you get a grant for your brochures? That's fabulous!
Brooke
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

It was 2001 and one of the good things that came of the Foot and Mouth year in the Lake District. No bookings, but we got thousands of brochures printed!! It was a one-off I'm afraid so I haven't found the key to the holy grail.

Cheers

Christine
oskar

Post by oskar »

Thanks for that interesting discussion.

My own view is that there is still a place for printed brochures at the higher end of the market, but I don't think it would be cost-effective for lower down. Better spending the money on a good internet rental site.
villa sibillini

The printed word

Post by villa sibillini »

Hi All, whilst we aggressively market on the internet, we also had 10,000 A6 laminated fliers done of which I have around 150 left. They cost £190 for 5000 and are a special deal from some young graphic designers (can supply details if required). The best thing about the design is that they fit in a guy's back pocket and a lady's handbag - don't mark and look the business.

I have given these out to everyone I meet - at the airport, in the supermarket, just give me some encouragement and you'll find one in your hand. They work really well alongside the web advertising and I have also posted them to all manner of people. Its no good having a great place or even a web site that isn't found - I spent many years in marketing and find that this is the next best thing to word of mouth. Hope this helps.
Pam, David & Georgina Bates
Villa Sibillini Country House
www.villasibillini.com
oskar

Post by oskar »

Hi VS

Have you monitored your success with these? In other words have you had enquiries/ bookings that you know have come from your handouts?
craigkillick

Printing

Post by craigkillick »

For cheap printing, you may want to try Printing.Com. They are quite specific on their file requirements but they do occasionally come up with some amazing monthly deals:

http://www.printing.com

re. Microsoft owning Apple, it is a common misconception because they did indeed purchase a hefty chuck of stock at a time when Apple weren't so resurgent (approx $150 million). It was a bit of a shot in the arm at the time (if I remember rightly). This has since been sold off. ps. I am an Apple geek also!

Someone mentioned about software for web for Mac, you could try http://www.coffecup.com Never used it but looks straight forward enough. Either that, or go for a .Mac Account ($70 per year I think. Very easy to create then.