I've had a makeover!

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Sue :) ..

Just having another look at your great site...[trying to score a 'well spotted' brownie point but the smart goats and partridges got there first]
Just thought of a little something.
.in the write up youve got 'Location and 'located' in red which opens up when clicked to reveal good info.. photos etc...
Im just wondering if everybody would suss this...or just think there that colour for effect and miss it...
Im sure you will take this as its meant..just a little thought:roll:
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

I think you will probably have the most perfect site that has ever existed by the time we have all finished with you... :lol:

Ruth x
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks for looking again guys! Ruth, I will try and make the info a little clearer - the problem is nothing is cast in stone - this year, for example, we had a lot of bookings by the week in May, last year, not so many so I took short breaks instead. Bed linen I supply for 4 nights + free, but to be honest is mainly the French who come for short breaks and they generally like to bring their own to save a few euros. Maybe I'd better not mention anything, just let them enquire!
Ros, do you think the link ought to be a bit clearer, perhaps underlined?
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Ros, do you think the link ought to be a bit clearer, perhaps underlined?
I dont really know probaby as it would be stand out more...or would it then look like a red underlined word...Im sure ERichard may have some ideas..
I just know I didnt spot them first time round :wink:
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

It was clear enough for me, sorry :oops: but then I'm nosey and always hover the mouse over anything different in colour as I assume it is a link.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Given that these links direct you to pages that are also accessed directly from the main menu I think they are just there as belt and braces alternatives.

Thus, in my view, we don't want to put too much emphasis in the middle of a paragraph and detract from the flow of that paragraph.

I read many websites (mostly academic papers) where every paragraph is riddled with underlined links and you never know whether to click - and thus go way off ccourse, or read the whole thing and come back to the many links and then you get lost going back and forth all over the place. And all those blue underlined words are not emphasis, but hyperlinks, yet look more important.

Sorry for the long answer. The issue is really very subtle with no right or wrong answer - just a view on the design.

But thanks for the thought Ros. Keep looking, and hopefully you will find a flaw :wink:
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Actually, on second thoughts, I am actually going to respond to myself constructively and make a suggestion to Susan.

When you have links in the paragraph that match links in the menu, they should perhaps be the same words. Thus, the existing paragraphs could be reworded something like this (by all means sub-edit to your own satisfaction). Words in red now match the menu:

We are surrounded by many interesting places to visit, such as Mont St Michel, St Malo, Dinard and Dinan. It is only a 40 minute drive .... etc.

The location of property is within easy reach of many French Channel ports and only 45 mins drive ... etc.
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Hi Richard, thinking about it, I have often visited websites where I have ended up getting totally lost and given up, I now know how I got lost :lol:

Ruth
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

But thanks for the thought Ros. Keep looking, and hopefully you will find a flaw
Hi Richard I really wasnt looking for one Im sorry if it seemed I was...Youve made a great job of GGs and Susans Sites and others I expect :wink:
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Big Sis.. wrote:Hi Richard I really wasnt looking for one Im sorry if it seemed I was...
I know... I was only teasing you Ros :lol:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I know... I was only teasing you Ros
Thats OK then :( ..sniff. :cry: .cos my next post was going to be
'Ill shut up now' :!: :shock: :shock: .............

.....................[If only it was that easy EH :wink:]
..youd all of tried it yonks ago :wink: ......

theres no escape Imafwaid :wink: :lol: :lol:
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Don't ever shut up Ros!

Ruth