Here's why I send one follow-up email to non-responders

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
debk

Here's why I send one follow-up email to non-responders

Post by debk »

The question of "to send or not to send" follow-up emails has appeared in several threads and here's a real-life response, which I received 8 minutes ago:
Dear Deb,

Thanks for resending. I never did receive the first email (snip) . . .

Regards,
Anne
Not the first time an email has gone astray, nor the last. :?
debk
Stu

Post by Stu »

Yep! I always re-send too if there's no response. Too many people now have spam filter settings wound up so tight.
Good on yer Deb! Hope it converts for you!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Good point Debk...and one I will take notice of!

Mouse
x
Last edited by Mouse on Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Thank you Debk, maybe that's why I sometimes don't get replies back from enquiries :oops:

How long do you wait before resending the email though, as I don't like to be too pushy :?

Alison
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

You've changed my view, so thanks Deb - just sent this off:

"Hullo Txxxx - I was having a tidy-up of emails, and was reminded that I had received no reply to my email to you on May 9th, which was in turn a request for photographs of our bathrooms, and other information. Perhaps you could confirm that you did receive this safely - since images were attached, I wondered if there might have been some technical problem - if so, and it's this end, it would be useful to know."

She'd given no indication of required dates, or the size of her group. If failure to acknowledge my email was simply down to bad manners I'll be cross as it had taken some time to compose. So I haven't re-sent the original message just in case that, too, is not received safely.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

So I haven't re-sent the original message just in case that, too, is not received safely.
Good point GG....some people have systems that block emails with attachments.

Tell me - if an email doesn't get through, do you always get a bounce back message...thats something I've never been really sure of.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thanks Deb..
Thats very valid thanks for sharing it :wink: ...
Good point GG....some people have systems that block emails with attachments.
Thats true as well I know I have :wink:
Tell me - if an email doesn't get through, do you always get a bounce back message...thats something I've never been really sure of.
Hi Mouse not always I think also sometimes its weeks after... :wink:

As always great points thanks Forumers :wink:
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Too many people now have spam filter settings wound up so tight.
I nearly lost a 2 week booking in September!
Every time my enquirer tried to reply to our villa webmail address, he kept getting a mail delivery failure (he was using a work email address). Anyway, I'd not heard anything for 3 days and sent another email to him, he responded via our website enquiry form and then he telephoned me to make the booking and to also tell me the mail failure problems he was having trying to get an email to me. The failure was nothing to do with our webmail....as we've done various tests from other email addresses.....Hubby thinks it may be something to do with their firewall not sending the messages to us.

I always follow up an enquiry if I have not heard anything in 3-4 days.....you just never know do you! :D
We normally get a mail delivery failure notice if I send an email and it can't get through....but we never know if people sending emails to us can't get through. I think work email addresses have more of a chance of bouncing mails back to the sender than someone using a personal email address.
Last edited by Guest3 on Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

BagPuss wrote:I think work email addresses have more of a chance of bouncing mails back to the sender than someone using a personal email address.
Yes, I have this problem with my daughters work email address. If she sends me an email I can reply but if I want to email her at the same address, the email gets lost in netherland :cry:
She has tried to get this sorted with the teccies at work but they don't seem to know why as other people get through to her :roll:
Alison
debk

Post by debk »

Hi, all. Sorry for the delay. Ran down to the beach cottage for a little R&R... er, I mean, to take photos for the website.

To catch up, here's what I try to do:

1. Wait 2-4 days before re-sending my original response to the inquirer.

2. Change the subject to "Re-sending: Month day, Property" (so they can ignore it if they got the first one)

3. The intro text is limited to "Dear Sr Limão -
You recently inquired about our Lisbon vacation rentals at http://www.VisitingPortugal.com
Since email sometimes goes astray, I'm writing again . . . Have you already found a rental?
If not, I've attached a map which highlights our location in Lisbon's historic center. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
If you have already completed your accommodation arrangements, please accept our best wishes for your upcoming travels. Best regards,"

If they don't respond, they never hear from me again because, when I send this reminder, I also officially "close" their inquiry. debk
p.s. NO, you will not always receive a bounce-back message for undelivered emails.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I had a late balance payment last year, only by a couple of days. I called them,after sending the invoice twice and it turned out wife had booked using an email account they never check, soo both of the invoices were in the inbox. They booked using Paypal, but used another email for that, however it is not unusual for people to have a separate email for their paypal/ebay account.