Chlorine free pools

For anything to do with the garden and pool
cante gril

Chlorine free pools

Post by cante gril »

This is my first visit to the site and I have read a number of the pool messages but no one has mentioned the floatron which is supposed to give a crystal pool with very little use of chlorine.
I am interested in this but would like to know if anyone has experience of it.

Cante Gril
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I only have a shared pool, so can't comment,although our local hotel spa have an ozone cleansed pool, which is much nocer to swim in than a chlorine one. Hubby wheezes with too much chlorine.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I use Pool RX which is similar as it works using minerals and requires less chlorine. I swear by it, my pool is always crystal clear, whereas previously I had a few problems with algae.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

HelenB wrote:I only have a shared pool, so can't comment,although our local hotel spa have an ozone cleansed pool, which is much nocer to swim in than a chlorine one. Hubby wheezes with too much chlorine.
I'm not going to go through it again but such problems are caused by too little chlorine, not too much.

Some people swear by Pool RX and some people swear at it. To find out more about Pool RX go to http://www.poolrx.com/PoolRX/poolrx/guide.html

Alan
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Sorry Alan? I don't understand, chlorine is a proven asthma trigger.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

HelenB wrote:Sorry Alan? I don't understand, chlorine is a proven asthma trigger.
I’m not sure your right about that; the research results do not indicate that pure chlorine is the problem.

It seems the problem is that the inappropriate use of chlorine can produce some very undesirable by-products such as nitrogen trichloride and it is the by-products which cause the asthma problems. It is certainly the by-products which cause the smells and the stinging eyes.

Alan
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

It happens mainly in our local gym pool, but has happened at others too, mainly when there is a strong smell of 'chlorine' (or it's by-products). The local gym certainly don't maintain their pool properly, former staff say the chlorine levels were always high.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Helen,

I’ve never suffered from asthma but as someone who, as a child, suffered from the most serious version of hay-fever I think I understand how debilitating the problems might be.

When it comes to swimming pools and the use of chlorine there is a proper balance to maintain. Those are those who under-use chlorine in order to save a penny or two: there are those who over-use chlorine imagining it’s a way out of correct maintenance. They are all wrong. There are no “cheap-skate� ways out of maintaining a swimming pool.

Alan
Ju

Post by Ju »

We have two salt pools, which are brilliant. They are so nice to swim in. They are not exactly chlorine free - it is still chlorine which does the sterilising, buy by the time it gets back to the pool most of it has turned back into sodium chloride.

OUr guests love it. It has been described as swimming in contact lens solution as it is so nice to the eyes.
ThaiCharles

Salt water chlorinators

Post by ThaiCharles »

I agree on the salt water sytem: we use this at Gecko Villa and guest comments have all been very positive. The water is lipid, there is no chlorine smell...and floating is easier! Children love it too as they never get red eyes.

Maintaining PH levels also seems very easy and really the only requirement is to ensure the salt percentage in the water is adequate.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Yep, I like the salt pool as well but I also have a chlorine pool and actually there isn't much difference when swimming, as long as the chlorine one is well maintained it too is a joy to use with no red eyes! We had the salt one first, as we believed that was the way to go environmentally also, but now even that is disputed. Ho hum, my conclusions are that both are good as long as maintenance is top notch! I think the salt pool is easier to maintain though.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Fraise,

One can always add automatic chemical dispensers to chlorine pools which make them just as easy to maintain as salt pools.

Alan
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Yes, you are quite right. I had this system on my salt pool in fact but it packed up after the first couple of years and I couldn't get the pool people to come and sort it out but with the salt pool it wasn't really that important anyway. It would work well with the other pool though.
sueb

PoolRX

Post by sueb »

We seem to be using a fair few chemicals this year and I wondered whether it would be worth trying poolRX as we would really like to cut down on the chlorine etc. Are any of you with pools still using this, if so would you recommend it and where is the best palce to buy it?. Is it available in Brittany or the UK?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I still use it and have had a crystal clear pool since March (the only blemish being the suncream waterline). I get mine from Desjoyaux boutiques in Rennes, the current one has been in use for 15 months.