How to get an avatar (that's the pic next to your posts)

Notes on how to use the forum, whether you just want to read it or contribute too. If you have never used an online forum, this is the best place to start.
paolo

How to get an avatar (that's the pic next to your posts)

Post by paolo »

What is an avatar?

An avatar is a small image that appears next to all your posts (like this one of me and my monkey here on the left). It can be a photo of you, your dog, your house, your hat, a cartoon character, anything at all. As long as it is not obscene! It is supposed to represent you in some way.

Personally I like avatars that are just pictures of the person who is posting - that way we can see who we are talking to. :D

How to upload an avatar to the forum

First you need to be registered. When you have registered, log in and click on Profile at the top of the page. This takes you to the page where you can edit your Profile, and at the bottom is the bit on avatars.

There are two ways to upload an avatar, from your computer or from the internet.

Before you can upload though, you have to make sure the image is not too big. The size limit is 80 pixels x 80 pixels, and the memory limit is 6kb. This probably means you need to resize your image using a graphics program like Photoshop. And you need to save the image as a jpeg or gif, not bitmap (or bmp).

When the image is ready, go back to your Profile and click on browse to locate the image on your computer. Then click on Submit to upload it.

Or if you are uploading an image from the internet which is already the right size, you can put the url for the image into the relevant box in your Profile.

If the image is too big, you will get an error message - time to go back and check your sizing.

If you're struggling, post a message in the 'Suggestions and technical problems' section, some friendly soul will probably help you out.
Paolo
Lay My Hat