Gardening in absentia?

For anything to do with the garden and pool
kasperdoggie

Post by kasperdoggie »

Thank you so much for your suggestions. We did ok this year with some perennials (echinacea, daylily), but I am hoping to add some more next spring. Will plant some bulbs in a few weeks for that spring color. I probably stick to geraniums for window boxes, since my other flowers (dahlias and petunias) did not fare nearly as well, even with regular watering. The watering bill from the caretaker is giving me a heart attack though :) His hourly charge is very reasonable, but between 3 properties and frequent waterings, it adds up to a *very* substantial sum (we don't have an inground sprinkler system at our holiday homes, unfortunately).

Julia.
remote

Post by remote »

Hi Julia
You can buy a system reasonably cheaply in DIY stores or on line - Hozelock, Gardinia. You get lengths of black hosepipe about 13mm in diametre and various connectors and smaller pipes and sprinkler heads etc and build you own. It means that you can just fit it around anywhere so it's least visable. I've painted it stone colour where it goes up to my hanging baskets.You can conceal it with soil in beds or with stones or tiles. You can cut the stuff with a good pair of scissors. All you do is connect it to a timer that is screwed on to an outside tap and it turns itself on and of as often as you wish. . I have found that hozelock and gardinia attachments are interchangeable, so sometimes I buy stuff in the UK but can use the French equivilant with it. I've had the same system for four years now and apart from a few dripper heads that I have had to replace due to hard water it's still going strong.
If you look on the net you can see pics and get an idea of prices.www.garden4less.co.uk have a good range.
Happy watering
Mandy
A turkey is not just for Christmas