Photos for Listing Site

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.

Which Photo ?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:33 pm

Hidden behind trees. Secluded.
32%
Nice detail, but is it inspiring ?
9%
YAPS: Yet Another Pool Shot !
5%
Internal
No votes
Something Different
55%

Total votes: 22

e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Thought I would report back on this subject.

I took Jimbo's advice (earlier) and hired a local outfit with a remote controlled camera on a pole to take some shots from high up.

Here's a couple of examples, click on each picture to see enlarged version.

Net result: They are great photos when seen in glorious full size, but IMHO they do not work as tiny thumbnails.

I can now see why No 5 got your votes, and why no 2 got all my bookings.
Simple, uncluttered and interesting, yet without a pool in sight.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
ravetildon
Location: I love Travel! - We Are Based Around San Francisco, California

info

Post by ravetildon »

Pretty cool anyways. What doe a place like that charge?
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

E Richard

Those photos are fantastic, they show your lush setting.

Good luck with them

Chianti without the flannel
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

... and hired a local outfit with a remote controlled camera on a pole ...
As this thread indicates, Richard has been engaged in an almighty tussle trying to achieve a clean exterior shot of his property that will reduce as a thumbnail. In that context, these new ones still don't work for me. Sometimes, you can become obsessed with shooting a particular image and sometimes, however much imagination, effort and time/money you expend, it continues to evade you - and here (short of sending in a chainsaw gang) maybe it always will.

I've been there. Many years back, I became obsessed with achieving a particular shot at a ram sale in Wales. Before the rams were led singly into the sales ring, they were confined in a shed with a hole in the roof. The sunlight blasted down from the hole and - occasionally - just picked out one ram whilst the others were in shadow. It was an absolutely drop-dead stunning image but despite hours and hours of my best efforts (and to the considerable amusement of the watching farmers), I just couldn't make it work.

When I told the story to a experienced photojournalist (thinking he'd have a solution), he told me that I was crazy to waste so much time (and, by implication, money) on something that I didn't have the expertise to make work. 'How many other shots did you miss', he said, 'whilst you were messing about with this duffer'. From a professional point of view, I'm sure that he was right but it still makes me sad when I think about it now, 30 years on. The shot has always existed in my head - but, unfortunately, not on film.

Jim
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Jimbo

That's a good lesson to keep in minde because I too keep trying for a magical exterior photo, but my setting is not as lush as that of E-Richard and our home is very long, thus very difficult to photograph.

I disagree as the top photo captures both the richness of the setting and a bit of the layout, making it obvious that there's a swimming pool and even better, letting one know it's in a beautiful setting, of which many other properties are not. I believe that it would temp viewers visiting his website. I also love the one with the circular grass terraces because that photo is unique and makes me want to see more of the garden.

e-richard

Post by e-richard »

ravetildon wrote:...What doe a place like that charge?
Awww, c'mon Craig. It doesn't take much detective work to click thru my www button below and see my rate card :wink:
Chianti wrote:... I also love the one with the circular grass terraces
Do you mean photo #5 on page 1 of this thread ? The one with the shadows of the palm tree ! :oops:
Jimbo wrote:..I was crazy to waste so much time (and, by implication, money) on something that I didn't have the expertise to make work. ..
How right you are Jim, but sometimes, there is value in the journey.
Provided, that is, you do learn and make some small incremental progress. I feel this exercise, while fruitless in its original intent has achieved some progress. I now have a few super high shots that I can use elsewhere in an enlarged version.

Finding that perfect thumbnail that will stand out among thousands on a listing site remains a stimulating challenge for this property.
** Richard
ravetildon

hehe

Post by ravetildon »

I meant for the pictures, not the rental? :)
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

ho ho Craig. Sorry about that.

I paid €150 (euros that is), which as far as I can tell from competitive operations like this is a very good price. I got a CD with about 10 high quality pictures on it. I could have had more, but the wind was blowing a lot, so we had a few fuzzy ones, and a few with branches all over the place.

you can see more info at http://www.hi-cam-portugal.com/
(I have no affiliation or interest in this company, but do wish them well)
** Richard
ravetildon

info

Post by ravetildon »

Thanx. Pretty cool. I need to get oen of those!
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

E-Richard

Eh by gum, that's a palm tree, still makes a nice shot though. I think you paid a very good price for your photos and I still believe that you have an excellent photo of your property, if not more.

Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Apparently it was suggested at our last copropriété meeting that we should have some palm trees around the swimming pool........ think about it, hard. Yes, we are 1500m above sea level,in the Alps where winter temps can get down to -25c. When this was pointed out, plastic was suggested. As our Italian neighbour said-'they were from Marseille :roll: '