Comments needed on my new website please!

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

hmmmmm...I still like the first version better overall...maybe a compromise?? move the local atraction, etc. links to their own page...but I like the group of exterior shots on the first page, rather than the interior beroom shot
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

I also like your original site, it may be because I have become familiar with it. ( I often click your link because I love the look of your place, I used it as an incentive to try to persuade hubby that we should visit France :lol: )

I know you are still working on your pics, but they seem duller on the new site, perhaps it is my eyes but I moved them side by side and they looked different.

Poor you must be going round in circles with all these comments, you will get there in the end and come up with a perfect site. :lol:

Either site, I would want to book. :D

Ruth
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

greenfrog wrote:your home page and Le Gaillon buttons both take you to the same page so why have two buttons?
This is one of the limitations of working with a standard template - sometimes you have to "work around" what is there. On a wordpress blog you can either have your blog posts on the front page, or a static page, as I have done. But if you go for a static page, with this template you will always have that "Home" page displayed as well as your chosen page.

Not sure if any of the above makes sense, but basically it means "No can do". I am stuck with it...!

Is it the end of the world? Will it stop someone from booking? I don't think so (well I certainly hope not). It's only a minor irritation surely?

Remember: Voltaire!
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

I wouldn't even call it an irritation! I wouldn't worry about it if you can't change it.

Isn't it fun tweaking all these things?! :lol:
I'm now working on translations for my site and not at all sure how I'm going to present that page.
Lounging on the lily pad...
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

I haven't a doodlys what everyone is talking about here but anyway I am not keen on the 'test' site NC. The bedroom pic seems a bit 'cold' and dominates the header photos too much.
I would 'read on' if I was looking at the original blog thingy :?
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Martha

Post by Martha »

I really like the new version, it's restful on the eye and the info is well organised. I like the list of local attractions, it makes me realise immediately how much there is to do in the area.

It would be nice to see a pic of the inside on the first page - that photo of the bed with the beams is so lovely, and it's a bit buried now.

I think it would be good to lead people in from the home page by having links and pics at the bottom of the text. I'd put the Sawdays link (maybe a quote here, too?)

and then a pic and a link - >> see interior photos
and then a pic and a link - >> see exterior photos

On these interior and exterior pages, maybe put the photos at the top, rather than the bottom?

And maybe make the top header link through to one of the pages of photos?

I like it lots :) I think a bit more emphasis on the pics would be great though
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Thanks for the comments Firebug. In fact I was working on the Things to Do page this afternoon at the same time that you were posting!

I will take all your comments on board. The site has changed quite a bit since I first put it up for discussion so many of the earlier comments on this thread will now be out of date though!
Ju

Post by Ju »

I really like the new site too. In fact I can't really think of any coments (unlike me!)

No, I've thought of something. I would like to see some interior photos to break up the text on the interior page. In particular I really like the photo of the armchairs by the fire on your old site.

Well done.

Ju
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Hi NC,

Looking great now. The pictures are looking good.

I am a bit confused by the pics at the bottom of the interior page, I can click on them to get an enlarged picture, lovely, but I then clicked the X expecting to go back to the previous page, to click on another picture. Not sure why, but found it closed down the site all together.

Hope you get what I am trying to explain???? :?

Ruth
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Ju, Kipz, Firebug et al,

The site is still "under construction" and there are LOADS of photos still to be put on the site. The problem is that all my photos and my copy of Photoshop are all on my other PC, which my children have been using to play Runescape these past few hours so I wasn't able to put them on today, hence I've been working on Getting Here and Things To Do pages.

But photos of the interior, exterior and garden are my top priority. Watch this space....! :wink:
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Sorry NC will wait for you to give us the nod :lol: :wink:

Ruth
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

First gut reaction for me was that while I love the neatness of the new site and lots more besides, I prefer the colours of the original site. Maybe it's the shade of green on my screen? I rather liked the red you used before NC, with the parchment background. It was cheerier and more eye-catching.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Hi,
I just checked in on your site again and I really like what you've done to the blog site.
The home page looks much better with the new photo and I love all the interior shots.
I see you're still working on the exterior page so good luck!
Lounging on the lily pad...
Gus

Post by Gus »

I really wanted to like your site as you write really well.

However the design of the 1st version lets you down. I do not often disagree with the Goat from Gascony but I found the maroon type on a cream background distinctly uninviting. However like GG I prefer the neatness of the 2nd version.

The new version (which matches the excellent blog) with its prettier colours and typefaces looks far better. However the photo of the field / view in winter is seriously offputting (looks so cold and bleak). Your lavendar photo is far more inviting as is the atmospheric misty landscape.

I felt the first site had the type in lines so long that it was an effort to read. The facilities page had the photos huddled over on the right and the guests comments page just had ugly typography.

The photos seem to be taken as snaps rather than taken to show your property off at its most desirable. Paolo's guide to photography on this site with the emphasis on taking photo using the 'golden light' at the start or end of the day helped me no end.
Garri

Post by Garri »

Apart from the obvious problems of relying on a Wordpress hosted template, your site ends up looking like everyone else's, as it becomes clear vacation owners are going to choose THAT particular template ;-)

If you're going to be going down the Wordpress route then why not hire a WP guru to design and implement a unique template ?

There's plenty of them out there - get some kid from eastern Europe to do it for a fiver ;-)