How much details do you give to start?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Musetta

How much details do you give to start?

Post by Musetta »

so...I know this is version of what has been asked before...but I really want the enquiries to turn into bookings! I just got this one:
"I am interested in possibly renting your home for a week either the end of August or September. Please let me know availability, and best way to arrive from New York City."

sooo....do I just start by telling her which dates are free and see if she emails back?? give a little more info (i.e. booking terms, etc.) and ask how many in her party??directions from NYC?? give her which airlines fly direct and then ask if she will be driving or taking public transport? (happen to be looking for flights myself...so...honestly, she's not going to find a great flight for those dates)

I feel I should be turning more into bookings! and I really do NOT feel like I have the hang of this yet!

Thank you!!!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

For your inquiry, I'd respond with the dates available and also answer her questions. If you know something about which airlines or flights are best or how long it takes to drive vs. taking public transport, why not offer that information? It's free, it takes very little time on your part, and people really appreciate it.

When I recently chose a rental property for our vacation, I asked all the properties I inquired at whether they included beach towels, how far their property was from the beach, and whether they had sunset or sunrise views of the water (if these things weren't clear from the property description).

I was pretty surprised that about half of the responses I got ignored my questions completely. My response to those? Generally, I ignored them. I figured, why should I stay at a place owned by someone who pays so little attention to details that they can't even read an e-mail all the way through?

Maybe that was harsh, but I could afford to be harsh: I was looking for rentals in a pretty saturated market, and I inquired at around 25 places. So it actually helped me thin the crowd a bit.

Anyway, being on the other side of the inquiry process taught me that I should always answer the questions posed in an initial inquiry -- unless they're asking for information I only give to paid-in-full clients, like directions to the door of our rental. However, I will absolutely give directions to the town, including a link to Google Maps or Mapquest.

Sometimes it takes more than a few minutes to answer the questions, but I often get bookings from people who say things like, "thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions -- I'll fax the contract and sort out the payment today." I think it can really make a difference. It shows them not only that there is a real person on the other end of the line, but also that you care about whether they have a good vacation.
Brooke
Ju

Post by Ju »

I agree with Brooke. Always anwser the questions posed, and expand on them if you can in a positive way. I have been known to spend half an hour just typing the response to questions, which can be disheartening if they then don't come back, but I still think it is worth it.

Ju
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Brooke and Ju :wink:

Brooke said
Maybe that was harsh, but I could afford to be harsh: I was looking for rentals in a pretty saturated market, and I inquired at around 25 places. So it actually helped me thin the crowd a bit.
Thats so true Brooke & Ju..
...Its nice to get the other angle isnt it...Us booking with people I wouldnt bother with people who couldnt be bothered with me either...
I do normally answer all the questions...
I think its a good idea even if your booked for those dates..
Ive often had people book the next year who have enquired the previous year but missed the dates..
They email and say dont suppose you remember me I enquired last year[well I have a quick click back[keep all my emails] and come back with of course I do your the lady/Man who wanted such and such :roll: :wink:
Ive had quite a lot of bookings like this so being helpful really does pay off :wink: [and they book really early so as not to loose out again] :)

Musetta :)
If theres things your often being asked like directions
..flights.. about the area etc..you can keep this in drafts and copy em out to save a lot of typing thats what i do :wink:
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

I asked a couple of places last year for more details specifically about beds/bedrooms (the websites said luxury beds, but I wanted a photo or two!)..........

never DID hear back :|

If they had, I would have booked.
Fil

Post by Fil »

Agree that one should answer all questions is the best possible way. I also remind of essential parts of T&C (payment schedule, cancelation policy, etc) and send link to rentors.org guestbook.
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

I do the same as Big Sis - I drew up an inquiry follow-up document that answers most questions people might pose, rambles on about how fab Montmartre is :D and gives them booking conditions, rates and a link to my own website. I just cut and paste it into the e-mail reply.
If they ask questions, I answer them at the top.

I think it sends a positive signal and gives you a chance to talk up your place a bit more.
Lounging on the lily pad...
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Oooh, Fil, think we posted at the same time so I've just seen your bit about including the guestbook link. Excellent idea! I must add that to my template! :lol:
Thanks!
Lounging on the lily pad...
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Thanks!! don't know why I got cold-feet all of the sudden! maybe the hope of filling up my summer weeks!!! :-)

I need to put together some sort of "standard" info I can cut and paste! good idea :-)

I gave her our free dates...and the airline info is kind of easy since I happen to fly out of NY myself :-) (also happen to know she will not get a good flight with decent fares for Aug.!! I've been looking!! I left that part out :-) )

too many ootions though to list all...5 airports to choose from in NYC...and 3 to fly into in Italy...but gave a list of what I think the best options are....refered her to my website for more info...becasue I wanted to get right back to her...and...like I said...don't have anything "standard" yet...didn't include booking terms, etc. yet - becasue I had been doing that...and I wasn't getting a lot of responses....so I think it was turning people off...the presumtion that they were booking (?) could have been coincidence though!
Thanks again!
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Hi Musetta,

Looks like you have done mostly everything suggested, well done. :lol:

The only thing I would say is missing out the terms and conditions and booking procedures would mean that they have to email you again to check those before they decide whether to book.

When I reply, answering specific Q's also putting in all the pre-composed standard info, I also include a copy of the booking form and T&C's so they can see what is involved if they decide to go ahead and book. I then say that if they would like to book, please email me so that I can hold the dates awaiting receipt of their booking form and deposit.

I think then they have all the info they need and doesn't look like I am keeping any suprises from them, they then just have to confirm by email that they have put the form in the post.

I would like to have it all in one package so that I don't have to do anymore 'requesting'.

Ruth :lol:
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Decided to revive this thread as the same points have cropped up elsewhere.

In fact, the point we were trying to get to was: are people not getting replies because they are perhaps sending out too much information or in the wrong format!

Perhaps MG can post in here so that we can continue that discussion?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

OK Margaret, in MG's absence, maybe you can help me. This is moreorless the standard reply I send out to an enquiry for availability and price. My replies are always brief and to the point. How can I improve? (there was an additional request for baby equipment on this one and they knew the week was available).

Hi Txxxxx,
Many thanks for your enquiry. The price for w/c xxth xxxx is £850 (this includess bed linen, bath towels etc.) There is actually a proper cot (good quality)in the house, a high chair and stairgate too. If you would like any further information or would like to make a booking, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Best regards
Susan
enid

Post by enid »

Re time spent on answering queries - this has to be good PR - even if someone doesn't book with you they will have a good feeling about you and that can't be bad. My hubby spends hours and hours on phone calls and meetings he isn't paid for giving free advice - fishing trips he calls them - it's amazing how many contacts he makes that way who do come back to be paying customers at a much later time.

Exciting isn't it Musetta?
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

First question would be: where did the enquiry come from - your own site or a listings site?
I started out feeling it was up to each individual whether they wanted to go with listings sites only or also have their own website. Now I am certain that, unless you can get all the occupancy you want through listings sites, you are missing out on an opportunity to present your property in a unique way if you don't have your own site.
So every enquiry that comes from a listings site needs to be directed to your own site.

Other than that, my feeling is this: if your enquirer has sent similar enquiries to, say, 5 properties, there is a chance that they will get 5 replies almost identical to yours. So there is plenty of opportunity to add a sentence or two to make yours stand out. Are there other baby friendly aspects to your property or area, for example. If you send your basic reply and 1 of the others sends back a reply that stands out, my guess is they could get the booking.

I always put a sentence in about how lovely our area is and how much there is to do.

And I finish by saying that I hope they will book with us. I can't remember anybody saying that to me in a reply. Everybody likes to feel they are wanted and it doesn't need to sound gushy, gushy.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Long-winded or what? Here's a personal view regarding dealing with enquiries:

We prefer to rent our chalet to one or two families who come as a group, but we also offer the choice of three apartments (one per floor) as well. Depending on season we can offer snow sports, summer sports walking, climbing etc. Because of the international schools in our village, we get a steady stream of multi-national parents coming short or long term to keep an eye on their offspring (especially good for out-of-season rentals). Internal finish is high standard, probably top of middle range properties in Switzerland low end of up-market properties, rent ranges from £900 - £2800 / week for the whole chalet. Stunning position, unspoilt village (no Gucci-Pucci here), non-glitzy atmosphere, 1hr 30min from Geneva.

What I am getting at is that we cater for a wide range of guests, from single persons to a family of 10, and they’re here for a variety of reasons, not just chasing the Swiss mountain dream. Nationalities vary a lot, but around 70% Brit.

Our enquiries come from our own (fledgling) site, 4-5 listing sites (mainly HR and Abritel), Google AdWords and Holiday Pad (thanks, Garri). Non-internet advertising is restricted to local Sussex village and UK airline pilots (BALPA mag.).

So for us that’s a wide range of punters enquiries, 95% by email, around 5 – 6 / day at the moment.

I’ve only got one real chance to hook them, if they’re serious, and I haven’t the time to consider which source they arrived and tailor my reply accordingly. Some of our websites give more information than others, two don’t have rates and availability, so all replies from us are in the same format:

1) Thanks for your enquiry (French or English) standard format but personalised, answering questions on rates and availability and anything else they asked. We’re a bit short with those who can’t be bothered to write even a sentence (i.e. just dates, or, several times, just nothing), and if time available, tease the Nigerians using a self-destructing email address (which country are you asking about? Italy? No, wrong, try again – they can play this endlessly).

2) As a signature we add 5 titled links to our Google albums (set of images of each apartment, the exterior of the chalet, the village).

Then 3 Word attachments:

3) Travel information and Directions to Leysin (heavily edited and not specific to our property) – about 3 pages (including air, train, car, helicopter).

4) Village notes (9 pages – shops, facilities, restaurants, sports centre, shuttle transport).

5) Snow Sports Briefing (7 pages) in the Winter plus ski teacher blurb (2/3 of our guests use Sophie and her OH – who ski/board 365/365 Switzerland / New Zealand.

6) Mountain Things to Do (summer) plus mountain guide blurb (friend of ours who’s probably the most experienced Brit working in the Alps).

Three results to this: (a) Silence (b) Further questions (c) Booking

Response to Booking (exept for weeding out the over-capacity crowd) is a five page booking form and contract (French or English) – they return two pages to us – rest is just tedious small print.

Response to deposit payment is further attachments: (d) full directions and key instructions (e) complete notes on chalet (f) notes on their apartment (if applicable) (g) children and the chalet (tactfully written by Mrs G) (h) network and hi-fi briefing (i) bicycle briefing.

9 weeks out request for final balance, one week out any revisions to the Directions and keycodes.

We suggest if they want to save a tree or two, then up-to-date copies of everything we send them is in the chalet, but they must have (and confirm to us) they have Directions and key info.

That’s about it. I know it’s probably way over-the-top, but it works for us. If people grab the info and stay elsewhere that’s fine – it gets us in with the local businesses (many comments) and there is actually nowhere to match our place in the village – if they want a bargain, they can find it. As Beanie will explain, just 2kms away in Villars (45mins by car) her resort has a wider range of seriously superb property and a comprehensive range of facilities – I guess that’s our ‘competition’.

We’ve only had one negative but constructive response from a guest, and it was plain and to-the-point – far too much to read - why not pull out the essentials onto one sheet – we know all the rest. She’s probably right, but, like switching off the TV, you don’t have to read it.

Additions and revisions are going to be the excellent points raised by Beanie and Margaret, and no doubt other LMHers will add their valuable hints. Also probably adding an opt-out option against further annual / pre-season follow-up emails (which we haven't yet done).

MG