My odds and ends box

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
fibi

My odds and ends box

Post by fibi »

I have been reading the "essential equipment posts" with interest, we've only been in business for 2 years and already customer expectations have risen and this year we installed wifi and full SKY. But what has brought more praise than anything else is our "odds and ends boxes". These are cheap to maintain too!

These boxes contain
- needles and thread
- nail clippers
- nail polish remover
- emery boards
- cotton balls
- simple cream
- santitary towels and tampons
- antihistamins
- paracetamols
- calpol
- condoms
- cellotape
- birthday candles
- comb
- toothbrush and toothpaste
- wet wipes
- matches
- pen and pencils
- cotton buds
- plasters
- antispectic cream
- dettol
- midge repellant
- adaptors for overseas appliances
- hairspray
- tights
- corn plasters
- spare mobile phone with sim card (£5 PRE PAID)
- baby nappies and wipes
- baby bibs
- nappies
- socket covers
- business cards telling people where they are staying(for taxis)

This is all in a locked box(key provided but to stop access to little ones) with a note saying no liability etc etc. I probably COULD be sued for faulty condoms etc but in 2 years I've had only praise and good comments. I ask peole to replace what they use and in the 2 years I have had to replace items very infrequently.
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

WOW - sounds like a fun place for all activities!! :D
Squirrel
Always expect the unexpected
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Fibi :) ...

Pretty extensive list :wink: ..I do leave a few things..But nothing near as much as you..

Can I just ask are you convenient to the shops or not and is this one of the reasons youve got so many things would it be awkward for them to get these things themselves :roll:
enid

Post by enid »

Greta idea Fibi - I have a few things but I'll be extending that after reading yiour list - thanks :)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

We supply a small sewing kit and first aid kit - but .....condoms? Don't want any of that sort of hanky panks at my house!

( :wink: )

You're a very thoughtful owner Feebs, and yes, as Big Sis asked, is your property a bit of a distance from commerce? Even so, I might humbly add: where does one stop? And do you regularly check the use by dates for the medicines you supply?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I don't think it is appropriate to supply medicines, and could even cause harm if not used according to the instructions. Even antihistamines can cause an allergic reaction (unlikely, but certainly possible), and paracetamol/calpol is the most common cause of accidental overdose. If you must leave medicines, restrict it to adult paracetamol only.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I have to say that I don't provide anything like that as if people want anything like that urgently they just knock on my door and ask me for it. In the last month I've been asked for a sewing kit, sellotape and birthday candles, all of which I've had here.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I provide a sewing kit and a medical cabinet with a first aid kit, extra plasters, surgical spirit, antiseptic cream, mosquito repllant spray and sealed lint pads (which to date have never been used). I think most people bring their own first aid kit on holiday (I know I used to)...but it's always nice to have a medical cabinet available with a first aid kit..just in case!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Nope- I'm an owner who cares but don't provide medicines or condoms ! There is some darkly hidden EU reg that prohibits provision of medicines cept for prescription,lots of other stuff banned too . People usually bring their own medicine and deffo CONDOMS !! Hornet's nest of rules and regs that I don't want to be part of !! :roll:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All :) ..

Fraise makes a lot of Valid points here....Medicines especially would be a bit of a nono for me to leave..I have a Sewing Kit and Plasters...
[mind you there sposed to be a nono as well :roll: ] and some spare nappies..that sort of thing...
But if your happy doing this and are pleased with the comments you get...Its your choice of course:wink:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Certainly rules and regs apply in the UK, and I suspect throughout the EU too. NO medicine, although the health and safety executive in the UK do not object to keeping paracetamol for staff use at work, they advise totally against keeping it with the first aid kit.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Oh dear - that is something I hadn't thought off! :oops:

One of the guests went down with a urinary infection on sunday and I gave her painkillers and anti-biotics (she really wasn't fit to go anywhere to get them and she'd left her friends at Space (a daytime/evening club) and wasn't expecting to see them until the early hours)

Sounds like I was wrong to do that? :oops:
Although the village chemist is open 6 days a week - is there anyway way around helping guests that are ill when it's closed?

Should I help or refuse?

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Mouse, as far as I remember, all Spanish pharmacies operate an emergency system where someone will be on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There is usually a notice in the pharmacy window stating who this is in your area, or maybe a telephone number to ring.
It isn't wrong at all to offer help, but the person concerned may have an allergic reaction to the antibiotics or they may not be the correct ones for the condition. By all means offer them some paracetamol and assistance to find an emergency doctor or pharmacist though.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've just realised. someone else with water trouble!!! :shock:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I've just realised. someone else with water trouble!!!
I know!!!! I thought that :lol:

This house has some kinda curse over it at the moment :lol:

Thanks Helen for pointing that out. I will make sure I always know who is open on sunday - I can always offer to take one of the party with me & go for them (sometimes they don't have cars).

Luckily this girl was a recently qualified doctor (as all the guests are this week)...so I choose the right one to make this error with!

thanks again
Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!