Photos of bathrooms and toilets

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
HolidayWebs

Photos of bathrooms and toilets

Post by HolidayWebs »

Hi,

does anyone have a view of whether you should display photos of bathrooms and/or toilets? A while ago one of the rental listing sites (can't remember which) advised all advertisers to remove these photos but I wasn't sure why. Maybe they offend some people.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone had any views - no toilet humour please - this is a serious query!

Thanks
Visit http://www.puertopollensa.com ... you'll love it!
The most beautiful resort in Mallorca.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Hm...

I could have sworn Paolo addressed this in his Top tips for photographing your property, but I actually don't see it.

In any case, I would only show a photo of a bathroom if there was a special feature there, e.g. handicap accessibility or a luxurious claw-foot tub or jacuzzi.

I would never show a picture of a toilet. It's perfectly fine to make a potential client dream of relaxing bubble baths when envisioning your property, but there's no imagery associated with a toilet that they want to be reminded of!

Cheers!
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

I think it was BungleBob who has a thing about not showing a toilet.

I think it's OK to show a bathroom if it is one of your best rooms. Some bathrooms I have seen pictured did make me want to stay there - e.g. an antique bath in the middle of the room.

But I wouldn't focus on a toilet no matter how fancy. You probably can't keep a toilet out of the shot if you are photographing a bathroom, but you can avoid making it the focal point of the picture.

I've just realised I have said the same as Brooke, using slightly different words. So I must be right!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
oskar

Post by oskar »

I agree. A picture of a bathroom is a waste of space.

When I booked villas, I wasn't interested in what the bathroom looked like.
A-two

Post by A-two »

oskar wrote:I agree. A picture of a bathroom is a waste of space.
Gees...I'm so glad I caught this! I was just about to post a photo of our newly renovated master bathroom, we are so proud of the wood strip floor, new toilet and light fittings etc.!!!

Now I know to pick one that avoids the toilet at least, or maybe not bother at all.

Thank You!

Regards,
Joanna
Last edited by A-two on Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

I never included photos of the bathroom or toilet until several people asked me if I would send them some; figuring that it would be easier to put them on a web page I did so - you can see them on http://perfectplaces.com/vacation-rentals/3925.htm
Is this a mistake? It's not an a exciting shower room ( that's no excuse) and it's a frontal close-up of the toilet ....... I seem to have broken every rule!
Should I remove both photos?
Brutal frankness is appreciated.
BTW, most of our bookings for this property this year have come from perfectplaces, not from the "big name" sites and perfectplaces is the only site with these photos. This doesn't mean, though, that without the photos we wouldn't have had more bookings from perfect.....so the question of removing them is stlil a good one.
Best,
Alexia.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

alexia s. wrote:I never included photos of the bathroom or toilet until several people asked me if I would send them some; figuring that it would be easier to put them on a web page I did so - you can see them on http://perfectplaces.com/vacation-rentals/3925.htm
Is this a mistake? It's not an a exciting shower room ( that's no excuse) and it's a frontal close-up of the toilet ....... I seem to have broken every rule!
Should I remove both photos?
Brutal frankness is appreciated.
BTW, most of our bookings for this property this year have come from perfectplaces, not from the "big name" sites and perfectplaces is the only site with these photos. This doesn't mean, though, that without the photos we wouldn't have had more bookings from perfect.....so the question of removing them is stlil a good one.
Hi. I too have a photo of a shower room (with loo!!) on my site and on the Perfect Places add!!!!ooops-I thought it looked quite nice!!Looking again, I'm not sure. Maybe the photo of just your loo is unnecessary?That begs the question- is mine also unnecessary?Yikes.....time to delete? :oops:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
centime

Post by centime »

Oh no - how many photographs have we seen on web sites of the toilet with the seat UP! Hopefully none of the members sites on this forum - if there are shame on you :oops:
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

I'd have to say that having a 'bathroom pic' is probably a good thing .... but it's all down to composition.

Obviously, if you have a 'focal point' like a 'roll top, claw foot' bath, then that has to be included. Generally though, a picture of a clean / tidy wash basin is preferred to a centrally positioned 'dunny' with lid up :)
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Alexia,

I think the first picture of the bathroom is just fine (the one without the toilet). And even the picture with the toilet in it is tasteful...

...but it's still a picture of a toilet. I would take it off, but that's a personal choice.

Cheers!
Brooke
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

I'm convinced - no more toilet photo!
Thanks.
Best,
Alexia.
tansy

Post by tansy »

Alexia...I would leave it - it is clean and no seat up (feung Sheu all your wealth goes down if the lid if left up....)...I find it is The Americans always asking me the same questions - how many toilets do you have.

I do think at times the Americans genuinely do think that we Europeans haven't caught up with hygiene levels here and still have the dunny in the back garden!
paolo

Post by paolo »

Alexia,

It's quite a classy toilette, as they go, and has a nice view out to sunny trees. I'm sitting on the fence about whether you should keep it.

Fraise,

Couldn't see your one on your site - perhaps you have already flushed it out.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Fraise,
Couldn't see your one on your site - perhaps you have already flushed it out.

Oops- I couldn't either!!!Well, I'm not flushed with success!!Teehee, It's on the Perfect Places website, number 4489 (- don't know how to do those linky things). I thought I'd uploaded it onto our site but fate must have intervened?
:roll:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hi Alexia. Well, we've probably all been to have a look at your loo and - for what it's worth - I think your picture looks fine ... bright, airey, etc.

I was more intrigued by the first picture of your garden on the perfectplaces site. In the thumbnail version of the picture it looked like you had a spooky chap lurking in the bushes. The bigger picture revealed that it was the light on the bush so you can't now offer haunted tours! Have a look and see what you think. Or have I gone barmy?

Christine