Woe is me!

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Topcat

Woe is me!

Post by Topcat »

My first tenants, and one day in and a bag full of woes.

The first is legitimate, but beyond my control. When the aircon company came to put in the system, they discovered that the pre-installation had not been put in properly. Hence - aircon only in two of the bedrooms (they're using 3). Apparently to correct the fault the builders must come back and take down parts of walls, which clearly the tenants don't want. (But if the company had come three weeks ago as arranged they'd have known this, and the work could have been completed). However, we are sited by the beach, and there is almost always a breeze, and occasionally a howling gale.

But they're phoning the agent constantly.

The BBQ collapsed and they can't get it up again.
The towels are inadequate (they're provided by the agent, and aren't really up to my standard either, but they have double the normal amount already, plus 2 beach towels of my own)
The key to the pedestrian gate doesn't work (Yes it does!!)
The water in the jacuzzi is evaporating.

Now they're phoning me. Apparently small Spanish people keep coming round. Yes, I said, they're bringing you more towels, they're coming to top up the jacuzzi and mend the BBQ. Well, he said, I can't speak Spanish, so I sent them away.

OMIGOD!! Why did I do this!

And to cap it all, I just wish I was still there myself!!

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

TC

My deepest sympathies!!! We had major electrical issues with our first guests in April , a dim and distant nightmare now!! Although I do tend to come out in a rash if I think about that time too much :shock:

I too thought "why on earth are we doing this" at the time but once the teething problems are over, your subsequent guests will have a fab time!!

I do think that if one thing goes wrong then anything else that goes wrong, be it minor things, will be blown out of all proportion!!

Don't worry too much :wink:

Mx
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Topcat - I really sympathise.

For all my problems at the moment, at least I'm on site to get them resolved and see to the guests directly. We were only chatting about this a couple of days ago and saying how awful it must be trying to solve problems when you're not on site.

Also as Foxy points out - your first ones are the worst as they'll discover all the teething problems for sure! :D

Looking at the list of things - they seem to be small issues. Probably a lot to do with their own inabilities...and all part of the learning curve of being in a strange property.

The towels - if they're not up to your standards then get them changed by the agent. You can't call it a complaint if you feel the same way about them as your guests - no matter how many they have.
Air con - deduct a suitable amount from their rental to compensate (daily rate mins whatever) and let them know you're doing that.

As for sending strangers away - can your agent warn them who will be coming and when? I suppose they're wary of letting anyone in to your property that they don't know.

Are you at the premium end of the market?...if so then guests can be more demanding over sometimes petty issues
My friend who is at the premium end is at times run ragged. She charges a higher rental rate, but has to put up with a lot of unreasonable demands.

I'm sure your agent will solve all the problems and it will prove a good excercise for you both to work together in the future.

As for ringing you direct - I would explain that your agent is better placed to deal with 'on-site' issues, with of course you being there as back up if they remain unresolved.

By your 3rd lot of guests you'll be in the swing of things I'm sure :D

hugs
Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Oh TC - welcome to the wierd and wonderful world of holiday-home ownership!

What a baptism of fire, bless you.

Don't despair - it will get better (for a while at least, I promise!)

Chin up!

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I do add my sympathies too TC! It must be really hard for owners who are not on site to settle any moans or complaints. It's stressful enough for us owners 'on site' when we get moans, but to be thousands of miles away and to have guests 'phoning you must double the stress factor!

Well you have tried to rectify the matter...just a shame your guest sent the workers away!

It's very hot here.... 40C yesterday, so it's no wonder the water is evaporating in the jacuzzi! Is there a hose pipe at the property, so that the guests can top up the jacuzzi themselves..as it looks like it will probably need topping up every day because of the heat wave down here?
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Bagpuss, what a good idea about the hose pipe. There isn't one, but I'll make sure I get one. As it is, I either pay the agent to top it up, or I leave the controls wide open, giving them the opportunity to turn it to manual and cost us a fortune.

I'm going to to look at my pricing structure for next year. Up to now I've been the most expensive, but the most flexible penthouse in the area. Plus the only one with a jacuzzi. However, my new next door neighbours are charging massively above me, AND they charge extra for air/con and extra for the jacuzzi.

I don't think they'll get that amount, but if they do I can certainly look to reconsider.

TC

guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Hi TC,

I'ts a hard pill to swallow but for your first rental it may be worth the GULP!!

Best try to do all you can to appease them at this stage, it is a valuable learning curve for both you and your management. You can offset some of the extra cost as payment for experience. (invaluable)

I remember when Foxy came back with her worries from her first guests, (how are you M?) you will get over this one, and each one will get easier until you and your management are in a routine. Try to deal with each problem as it comes, don't panic, I'm sure you will get there in the end.

You've already learn't you need a hose pipe. You cannot think of every possible requirement before 'going live' we all learn as we go along.

Keep your chin up, I'm sure it will come good.

Good luck,

Ruth
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Thanks everybody. Let's see what tomorrow brings!

TC

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Well, those guests have now departed, and I've returned their security deposit.

I didn't hear any more from them, but my agent said they left the place spotless. I'm frightened to e-mail them and ask how they got on, in case I get a diatribe back. I really do hope they enjoyed themselves - I sincerely don't want anyone's holiday to be spoiled.

But joy of joys: the current tenants left a message on my answerphone to say that everything was wonderful, the apartment was beautiful and everyone was having a wonderful time. Phew!

Funnily enough, these tenants were the ones I was most concerned for. One member of the party is an 83 year old lady, and we are a bit of a walk from the main commercial centre, and though I tried to be honest about the distance, sometimes it's hard to explain without seeming to be off-putting.

As it is I've just lost valuable September prospective tenants because I think I overdid the 'we are 5 floors up, so young children need to be supervised on the terrace' bit, as they thanked me for pointing this out and have decided not to book. I'm torn between thinking 'don't you normally supervise a 2yr old and a 3yr old anyway?' and feeling relieved that they're not risking their necks clambering on the terrace wall while their parents are lying on the sun-loungers with a book.

I'm half thinking to put on the site that it's not suitable for small toddlers - after reading about the one-year old that knocked over the lamp and then jammed the Sky card in the box, clearly supervision isn't uppermost in some parents' minds. And I couldn't live with myself if some small child fell off the terrace (though only Spiderman could abduct them from it!).

Does anyone else put advice in their advertising like this?
TC

Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Hi TC - good to know your efforts have been appreciated!

I would contact your first guests on a 'you were the first and can I ask your opinion' type of basis.
The trick, as always, is not to take what they say as personal (difficult I know) but they could give you invaluable insight.

As for advising the non-suitability of your property for the little 'uns....I would say that's quite normal. In the same way as we advise if our properties are suitable for wheelchair access etc.

You could always say that 'due to the nature of Penthouse Apartments additional care must be taken by parents of toddlers to ensure they are supervised at all times on the terrace'
Then you can leave it upto them to choose. :D

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
cc

Post by cc »

you have to be careful how you phrase the warning about kids. Our house is on the side of the mountain and built over 4 levels we say in our website that it it is not suitable for young chidren and/or people with mobility difficulties as there are quite a lot of steps. I have twice received messages from people accusing me of hating kids.
As someone fatter than me once said, "I love kids but couldn't eat a whole one."
You don't have to write something on every thread, do you?
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

Topcat wrote:
I'm torn between thinking 'don't you normally supervise a 2yr old and a 3yr old anyway?' and feeling relieved that they're not risking their necks clambering on the terrace wall while their parents are lying on the sun-loungers with a book.
Sorry to high jack this thread. But this year we seem to have had more and more parents that do not take responsibility for their children. We had a family just leave and to be honest I really did not know how to handle the situation at all. When guests arrive we give them keys to the house and they are free to come and go as they please. We had plans on Saturday to go out for the evening to the local fete with some friends, we went along to watch the fireworks and after there was a small disco playing in the park. Just after midnight who should I meet at a local café the guests that we had staying with us, but no sign of the children one was 8 and the other 11, so I asked where the children were only to be told that they had left them at home and put them to bed how can people be so irresponsible :evil:
Nessie
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Well, some years ago at work we had a part-time member of staff who, we discovered, was leaving her 7 year old in the car in the car-park all morning during school holidays.

I know school holidays can be difficult, especially if you're either a single parent or a family where both partners work, and I appreciate that it was probably done out of desperation, but it was hardly an appropriate thing to do.

And to return to my terrace (I wish!), young children can be like lightening. I remember my grandson James at about 18months. They were then living in a second floor Exeter flat, and, on a hot day with the window open, and everybody including the other grandma in the sitting room, James managed to climb onto the outside windowsill before anybody noticed. Everybody froze, because to startle him could have been disastrous, until my son managed to grab him.

So I do understand the parents who decided not to take the risk, even though it cost me two weeks' rental!

TC

la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Nessie wrote:Just after midnight who should I meet at a local café the guests that we had staying with us, but no sign of the children one was 8 and the other 11, so I asked where the children were only to be told that they had left them at home and put them to bed how can people be so irresponsible :evil:
Unbelievable, what complete idiots. It makes me wonder why some people bother having children in the first place.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Did they not read the newspapers recently or watch television? Perhaps they thought Nessie's property would be safe from the eyes of intruders; probably, but also safe from the eyes of witnesses!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be