SMS messages and email

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
linda147

SMS messages and email

Post by linda147 »

( moved from Click4holiday homes thread)

Yes thanks Steve - I look forward to those facilities being available soon - although unfortunately not in time for my summer holiday. Still working on how to get notification of enquiries from non-SMS sites! Running out of time as I leave early Tuesday morning - can't wait to get some sunshine in Spain. :D
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

LInda, I have a link in my bookmarks that might be useful, but I've never tried it myself.

http://www.24x.com/new-email_sms.asp
linda147

Post by linda147 »

thanks Helen - I will give that a go.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Better teach my year 7's now! Roll on end of term tomorrow - the kids are all hyper!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

can't wait to get some sunshine in Spain.
Me too Linda..
Have you a gmail account..I get emails sent to me there...
linda147

Post by linda147 »

well it works!
Set up the account (cost me £5 for 50 texts, but worth it)
Sent myself a test enquiry through my website - get e-mail which immediately forwards to my mobile phone via a text message - brilliant. I can then either get on the internet or phone a potential customer.
I have several web-based e-mail accounts and can access my main e-mail address through webmail when I am away but it is a nuisance keep checking the e-mail if there are no enquiries. Now I can relax knowing that I will get a text message (never go anywhere without my mobile phone!)
Thanks Helen.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

LInda, I may try it myself if it is that easy. It should save me a fortune in browsing charges on my phone.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Helen and Linda :)
this looks really useful[and easy to set up]
..Think it deserves to have a mention somewhere else as well to make sure people see it. :wink:
mon269

Post by mon269 »

I had been looking for something like this for a while. It sounds like an easy and efficient way to have immediate notification of any incomming emails.

Thanks for the link Helen.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I tried to sign up this morning, and got an error message.
linda147

Post by linda147 »

you have to persevere a bit with it - I got an error the first time and then worked fine. You get quite a complicated address for your e-mails to the phone via SMS but once you set up forwarding in your e-mail software it works fine. You just need to know either the sender or the subject line you get from rental sites to set this up. Some sites the e-mail is from the listing site and others from the enquirer but has your booking reference in the subject line.
I am not going to bother with some of the free sites I am on that have never given me an enquiry as this would be too time consuming - if they haven't given me an enquiry in the last 6 months they are unlikely to in the next few weeks!
I can go away now and not worry about missed opportunities! :D :D
Where else in the forum should this be mentioned so other people are aware you can do this?
mon269

Post by mon269 »

How about "handling rental enquiries"? I wanted to integrate this into my own website, so I would have looked into "Personal websites", but I think the first one makes more sense.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have discovered that my 1and1 webmail accounts actually offer this service anyway, at 9p per text :D
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I get loads of spam emails though, I'm not sure that I'd want all my emails to be texted to me!
Is there some way to filter them out?
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

OH Im soo glad you asked that NC I was thinking exactly the same :wink:

Could this go in the techy bit or whatever as it is useful,,but hasnt got much to do with click4
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have set up my webmail with three or four email addresses, my normal one gets spam, but I have set up a brand new address that now directs all booking enquiries to it which don't give me an sms message, mainly my own enquiry form All the sites I already get sms from are left on my normal email. The rest are set up with a new email address. I can set my webmail to only send sms notification between certain times, and also set a maximum no of sms messages per day. Most of the spam I receive is during the night. If it doesn't work it will be easy enough to just turn off.