Linking to other web pages

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Lesblancs

Linking to other web pages

Post by Lesblancs »

Hello all,

This is driving me nuts. I know the solution will be simple, but I cannot find the answer anywhere.

The question is -

How do you ensure that your site remains underneath when someone clicks on link. Currently my site is replaced unless you use the 'back' arrow.

The site is on frontpage, if that makes any difference.

Thanks - Bobby
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I thought it was
<a TARGET=new HREF="http://www.xyz.com/"
so that a new window opened.
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Mmooo moo mmmooo mooo.

That is cow language for 'thank you very much' :lol:

Job done.

Dobby 8)
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Yep!

Just to add to that, you can use TARGET=new if you want all links to open in their own window. You can also use some other name for the target, like TARGET=bobbylink, and then the first link will open in a new window (which the browser thinks is called "bobbylink") and then all other links will open in that window. That way, if the user clicks on 30 links, they won't be overloaded with windows -- but sometimes that is what you want, so it depends on the circumstances. :)
Brooke
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Thanks Brooke,

I tried what you said, but nothing happened :oops:

Just explain again please, this time for Dobby.

Bobby
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Bobby, when you do this in FrontPage and get the box up for weblink there is a tick box or similar to say "Open in New Window". Have a look at that. If you still struggle I'll do a screen shot for you. cheers.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Bobby,

As Sue said, if you're in Frontpage there are undoubtedly options for you that I don't know about, so that you may not have to manually change the code at all.

If you do want to manually change the code, here's an example of a bit of code from your links page:

Code: Select all

<a target="new" href="http&#58;//www.brittanytourism.com/eng/preparez/golf/golf.cfm">

Brittany Golf Courses</a></font></i></p>
		<p align="center">&nbsp;</p>
		</td>
		<td style="border-style&#58; none; border-width&#58; medium;">
		<p align="center"><i><font face="Arial">
		<a target="new" href="http&#58;//www.blavet.co.uk/holiday%20activities.htm">Holiday 
		Activities Morbihan</a></font></i></p>

<p align="center"><i><font face="Arial"><a target="new" href="http&#58;//www.navix.fr">Le 
		Golfe du Morbihan</a></font></i></p>
I see by the 'target="new"' bits that you've already fixed the links to open in a new window. Is it your intention that if you were to click on every link there, they would all open in their own new windows, so that you'd have 8 new windows open if you clicked on all the links on the page?

When I click on the links, that's not what happens. The first link I click (Brittany Golf Courses) opens in a new window. But when I click the second link (Holiday Activities Morbihan), it changes the window I've just opened from Brittany Golf Courses to Holiday Activities Morbihan. And so on.

That's what I'm talking about -- you can have each link open in its own new window, or you can have all of them open in the same new window. Right now you're doing the latter.

If you want to do the former, go into the code and replace

target="new"
with

target=_new
That's old HTML standards but it will force a completely new window for every link.

But, if that's all still gibberish, don't worry about it, because it works fine right now. :)
Brooke
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

In FrontPage get the hyperlink properties. (Right clicking does it) You'll then get a box (pic below) Click the "target frame" button and you have various options, play around with them to see what you like.