6 year old website revamp near completion - please comment

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
garethkthomas

Post by garethkthomas »

Just a quick comment - I've just posted a reply to someone else with some comments about SEO so I'll make this brief - don't want to make it seem as though I'm obsessed with SEO :wink:

I always think it's better, whenever possible, to use text for the navigation rather than images. If you replace your main nav with text the search engines will prefer it and people with disabilities are able to use the site - they can use speach browser to read out the navigation to them and can increase the text size if they have bad eye sight.

Hope that helps! Cheers - Gareth
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

[quote] Having re-read the title of the thread I am wondering if it's referring to the age of the website or the person who created it

We are pleased to announce that Finks celebrated her 7th birthday today and she would like to thank all her fellow play mates at LMH for their support and checks on her wobbly web progress. She promises to try much harder and perform better in the future.

Seriously, folks, I really am very grateful for your comments and have filed them safely away to pass on to the next techie guru I can find who can give me a little more of his time.
Garri

Post by Garri »

We are pleased to announce that Finks celebrated her 7th birthday today...she promises to try much harder and perform better in the future.
;-) ;-)

Finks, you've got all the content there ready and waiting to be a great website, just a matter of sorting out the jigsaw. Luckily, there aren't too many pieces to pose too big a challenge for a 7 year old ;-)
Windy

Post by Windy »

Just one small point I noticed that doesn't seem to have been mentioned - you appear to have a solid black square as your "favicon" (the thing that shows up next to an item in Favourites and left of the URL in the browser address bar.)

Seems to be the the same in IE and Firefox.

It just looks a bit funereal for a holiday home!

Best wishes

John
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Gascony Goat wrote:
if Jimbo were seeing this, he'd say that here was a perfect example of the benefits of getting a professional on the case.
I am (a bit late) and I agree that it's an excellent set of publicity pictures. One slight criticism is that some of the pictures are a bit too contrasty - whites have no detail and shadows are a little forbidding - but this is an easy problem to rescue in Photoshop or another editing programme.

Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

It's been a while since I looked at the site (congrats and happy 7th birthday to Finks BTW!) Is anyone else getting the same experience as I am now on my monitor - ie a huge expanse of blank (cream) real estate on the right of the screen? :? I can adjust it, but shouldn't have to should I?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Fine for me GG :wink:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

GG. I'm getting the same. Everything is over to the left of the screen.
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

Looks OK to me - many thanks though, for checking. It's always looked like that and I can't get rid of the black funeral :lol: box- I don't know how to do it and have lost my guru.
Garri

Post by Garri »

The black funeral box is called a Favicon and here's how you can easily create one:

http://www.htmlkit.com/services/favicon/

http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/

Once you've created one, make sure it's named: favicon.ico, then simply pop it into the root of your site on your server.

The meta tags in your header already link to it in the root of you site, from what I can see.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

It's over to the left for me, too. That's in FF.

Nice pix, though.

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'