What to do in this case?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Alexia,

You're probably right... I certainly wouldn't have such a policy, but I might use the suggestion of one as a means to politely ask the client to prove that there is a serious illness.

I guess what it comes down to is that our contract clearly states that we won't refund cancellations for any reason, but I have trouble sticking to it if I believe the client really is in dire circumstances. That did happen to us one year and we refunded the money; another time, it wasn't a medical reason and I didn't have any problem keeping the deposit...

And let's not forget the person who booked a week several months in advance and then was never heard from again...
Brooke
eloro

Post by eloro »

I've just refunded him of all.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I think a good policy is the one written by debk. I think I'll add in my policy. :D
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hello Eloro. This is probably too late to help you. We had a similar situation last year. The couple were due to arrive at 4.00 pm and cancelled at 4.30 pm! I've no doubt that the cancellation was genuine, but we gave no refund as there was no chance to get a new booking but we have offered to offset their deposit against a future booking as a gesture of goodwill.

Hope the rest of your bookings go well!

Christine
www.stybarrowcottage.co.uk
Ju

Post by Ju »

Our conditions are similar to DebK. Basically the deposit paid for the holiday is non-refunable, but the rest would be repaid if the property was re-let.

I'm not sure this would put people off rebooking in the future.

The renter may very well be sincere, but you have no way of knowing, and in any case it will be you that is out of pocket if the father is ill or not.

I know one of the advantages we all have is the ability to give the personal touch - but this is still a business, which is why we all have terms and conditions.

Ju