Two enquiries for the same dates - help!

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
KateK

Two enquiries for the same dates - help!

Post by KateK »

Hi everyone.

This is my first post to the forum and I feel a bit cheeky starting with a "help!" so I hope you'll forgive me. I've "lurked" for the past few months until our apartment was ready and have found everything you have said very, VERY helpful - from the type and number of towels (that was a marathon read!), to mattress protectors, to booking forms, to rental listing sites and hints for my own web site - which is still under development by my daughter!! So thanks for everything so far.

Anyway, now I have a bit of a dilemma. Last night I got my first enquiry via Owners Direct. I replied almost instantly saying the dates were available, quoting the price and sending a booking form. I didn't say I would hold it for them or ask them to let me know or anything like that. Which I now know I should have done. When I checked my emails this morning there is another enquiry for the same dates. Do I tactfully chase the first enquiry; and if so how long should I wait? Do I tell the 2nd enquirer that the dates are available but I've had another enquiry and it would get first refusal? Or what??

As this is my first possible booking I don't want to end up losing both beacuse so any help will be fantastic.

Kate
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

well, as our apartment isn't actually finished yet, I can only offer a theoretical response!

I would tell the 2nd lot that you have a provisional enquiry for those dates, but will let them know within 72 hours if it is actually available, then e-mail first lot and tell them you have another enquiry but are giving them first refusal as long as they confirm within the timeframe...unless you can persude the 2nd lot to change dates of course :D
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Well TP..that's what I would do too....except if I have a contact number I would ring the first enquirer to save time....by speaking to them you can get a good idea as to how serious they are with going ahead with booking.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

It kind of depends upon how likely you are to get those dates booked anyway.

I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago and did exactly what tree-peony did, and ended up losing both bookings.

In fact I've found that whenever I have had two enquiries like this and I "hold" the booking for one of them, I invariably end up losing both bookings. :evil:

So from now on, I have decided that in this situation, I would let both parties know the situation, and tell them that whoever pays their deposit first will get the booking. After all, that's what the tour opeators etc do.

EDIT: BP's idea about ringing them sounds like a good one...
Last edited by Normandy Cow on Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

good plan :lol:
enid

Post by enid »

That's exactly what I would do too - good luck :)
Fil

Post by Fil »

I think you should stick with the rule: the first one to pay the deposit gets it. Otherwise it will be a mess.

I would answer the second enquire in exactly the same terms, not refering you had another one, and would not inform the first enquirer. Emails saying "I have another person interested" will most likely be read as a pressure technique and probably ignored.
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

I have had that happen to me and I do tend to tell the truth to both paties (mainly because my memory aint that good and I'm sure I'd forget what I said to who :roll: ).

I agree with BP, try phoning if you can, but remember enquiries are just that - they are not confirmed bookings with a cheque.

I only give people 48 hours which I think is long enough to put a cheque in the post and find flights.

My theory is that once they have the flights if they haven't been quick enough with the deposit, there's bound to be some other property they can stay at, so it's not the end of the world for them :)
Fil

Post by Fil »

Just to avoid misunderstandings (no care is too much at this point :wink: ): I don't think it is wrong to inform people that there other people interested. I just don't do it because that would mean spending more time emailing.
gpck

Post by gpck »

Always reply to all enquiries, as a booking isn't a booking until the cash is in your bank account.

Just because someone enquires about your property, doesn't mean they will go ahead and book it - you will realise this very quickly... :wink:

If they're both interested, the first one to come up with the deposit gets it!!!

By the way, Image to LMH...
gpck
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

Welcome Kate - wish I had your dilemma !
I've been with OD for 5 months now and only had one enquiry- no booking. My other sites seemed to have performed a lot better for me. I had a quick peep at your website and your place looks really nice.
The others have covered everything very well - keep up the good work and congraulations.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Kate, welcome to the forum!

I do what tree-peony does -- I always respond to inquiries by saying we'll hold a property for a week (meaning, they have a week for me to receive the money, not just put it in the post, so it may be equivalent to a 48-hour "the check's in the mail" hold). If I then receive another inquiry, I tell them that the property is on hold and say I'll chase the first inquiry to see if they're serious, and I also offer alternate dates. Then I chase the first inquiry and explain the situation.

I have sometimes lost both bookings this way, and other times had one or the other party book. Even if I lose both bookings, I don't fret if it's a peak week, since those are likely to book soon enough. But I like BP's idea for a shoulder-season booking, since a loss of two serious inquiries for an off-peak week may mean the week doesn't book at all...
Brooke
jayvollstedt

Post by jayvollstedt »

Speaking from experience, I agree with everyone who states, "It's not a booking until a deposit is in my bank."

How I learned this? Had a family who wanted my place for a week. Said they wanted to book it. I sent out the paperwork for them to sign. They said they'd sign it and fax it back to me in the evening. During the day, I had another family that wanted the same dates (actually, then wanted TEN days!). I told them I had just booked it. Got home in the evening, and waited for the fax.....and waited....and waited. I then did something I don't like to do - I called the potential guest after 10:00PM to see when they would fax the signed papers. "Sorry, we found another place." What? You couldn't drop me a line to tell me this?!?! :evil:

I called the other family back, and as you can imagine, they had booked another place. :cry: Never again. If I don't have a confirmed reservation, I never turn down (or hold off) a potential guest while another guest is trying to make a decision.

Once someone says they want to book, I tell them that I will send out the paperwork, and that the reservation is not confirmed until I have the signed documents and some sort of deposit. If they are serious, they will either give me their credit card info, or head over to PayPal (I know, sore subject). I had one guest overnight a personal check to me!

Jay
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

You're right Jay.

I've been there, got the T-shirt, etc.

And I won't be fooled (messed around?) again...
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

I don't put our property 'on hold' for someone unless they have confirmed that they want to book it. I then send them the booking form and terms and conditions and mark it as provisionally booked for a week to give time for the deposit and form to be sent.

I don't send out a booking form unless people actually tell me that they want to book. If they are sent out to everyone who enquires, it's possible that they may just fill in the form and send it off with the deposit without saying anything beforehand. You may end up with forms and deposits coming in for the same dates.

An enquiry is just an enquiry, those people have probably enquired about a number of other properties as well. I don't think I'd be inclined to mention that I had other enquiries for the same dates. Once someone has said that they want to book it's a different matter.
Last edited by Sarah on Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.