The tales behind the holidays

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
enid

The tales behind the holidays

Post by enid »

Just said goodbye to a delightful Irish family. It was the husband who booked the holiday and he was a bit late sending the deposit and then I had to chase him to ask for his balance - sorry he said I've been in hospital I'll send it now. I felt a bit bad but then I wasn't to know. This morning they told me that he had had a melonoma removed from his leg last year aand then this year - one week after he had booked the holiday here - they found that he had cancer in the lymph modes so he had to have serious surgery and is now on heavymedication. He wears a very thick leg bandage but it's hardly noticeable and he was the life and soul of our weekly table d'hôte meal - we had no idea until Kevin asked him this morning what exactly the problem had been. We thought he had varicose veins or something. They told us that they nearly cancelled the holiday but decided not to and that it had been just the tonic they needed - we were all crying by the time they left.

How blessed we are to receive such lovely people into our lives - I know not all guests are so lovely but they are the minority. Off to get ready for the next lot - luckily we have a two weeker in the other gite so it's an easier Saturday for us today. happy changeover everyone :)
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Lovely story ! Yes, I had a group like that a couple of years ago. I didn't actually ask what the problem was but it was obvious when they arrived. They had a fab time though- sort of determined to enjoy themselves ! They are all still around and keep trying to rebook but we're full the weeks they want. Incidentally, I hadn't heard from them which I thought was odd cos I knew they had a fab time and had said they would be back and I was just praying it wasn't because of health probs when I discovered that they had wanted to book a few times but each time they looked at our calendar and the week they wanted was gone ( they are very much last minute dot com cos of being self employed).They send me Xmas cards, as do other guests. It's lovely when you feel you've helped someone somewhere somehow isn't it? Even without realising it at the time often. Ho hum, back to work :wink:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I think I would have been in tears too Enid.

And I have to say they were very brave to carry on with their holiday and it turned out to be very much the right decision.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Nice story Enid :!: ...Glad they had a great time probably just what they needed :)
I was lucky enough to meet two lots of guests while we were there and they were both lovely families..ended up having meals out etc...
Doesnt happen often as we usually stay when theres noone next door to do jobs etc..but it was nice to hear them enjoying themselves one of the ups of this game like you say...

On the subject of changeovers :roll:
I was thinking of you lot who work sooo hard while I was there..Took some curtains down and fiddle arsxxd about in the house as you do ..nothing like what you all have to do...and I was absolutely done in with the heat...
Once again can I say hats off to you who do this week on week.. :!:
firstgreen

Post by firstgreen »

It must be very rewarding to be on site and contribute to making your guests holidays enjoyable.

We get feedback by email and in the guestbook, but to be there and experience the ‘happy times’ would certainly make letting more personally rewarding.

Ah well, one day I will escape the rat race…..
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Ah well, one day I will escape the rat race…..
...and you will do it Greeny! keep the faith! :lol:

I never thought I would until I got started on my 8 year plan to live abroad (objectives, targets :roll: )...I did it in 5!

Mousie
x
J&J

Post by J&J »

It's a scary thought that we are in many ways responsible for people's happiness and well-being during their holiday. This June we had return visitors (third year running) who had lost their unborn baby in April four days before the due date. The mum had been so looking forward to bringing her little one to meet us, but over their fortnight here we managed many a chat and she was convinced that she went home feeling ready to cope again.

Judith
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

OOH Judith how lovely was that :) good for you :!: .[sad as well of course :( ]...and isnt it nice that she still had the courage to come.
having already met you she knew what sort of reception she'd get...[which is such a compliment]
and that you would be there for her which you were....
Im soo moved.... really :wink:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Judith

how lovely to be part of your guests recovery on top of an awful tragedy.

I'm a great believer in holidays. I think they can set you right to endure some of the stresses life throws at us these days.
I would put holidays above many 'essential' things in day to day life. And I never get snobby about what people choose to do on their holidays.
As I say to mr mouse, some of the people we see on holiday here (on the island) have probably worked all year in a factory somewhere - if they want full english breakfasts at 12 o' clock...so be it.

That's what I love about the Spanish actually...they never judged, they just gave people what they wanted.

My sympathies go to those who can't afford to take a break from the daily grinds. :cry:

Mouse (who's had a glass of vino... or two, whilst she waits to welcome her guests whose flights been delayed)
x
firstgreen

Post by firstgreen »

...and you will do it Greeny! keep the faith!
Thanks Mousie, I just have convince the Mrs. I’m now off the moan to her about the weather again, UK crime rates etc. :lol:

Hats off to all you on-site owners who are often not just hosts, but friends also.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I do so agree Mouse :!: Im an early roser[that should have been riser but I thought it was quite apt] even more on Hols but the family next door rarely surfaced before 1pm..and good luck to them they used to take theyre family out to dine with the Spanish families late evenings and all used to lie in....and I thought it was great. :) .
They both had stressful jobs at home and were recharging theyre batteries..[they were probably going out as I was going to bed]My Hubby lays in till about 9am :shock:
as well[well you know me thats late :roll:]
and he works so hard its up to him... Ive been on the patio with a cup of coffee since 4-5am and yes it is still dark but it overlooks the pool which is floodlit and I really enjoy it...... thats what Im used to so thats fine to...
Wouldnt suit if we were all the same..But I was always first in the pool which I loved :wink:
Most of the Spanish dont do much till about 11am either and still have there Jim Jams on very late in the day

First green said
Hats off to all you on-site owners who are often not just hosts, but friends also...How nice was that :roll: ..

Ive said it before and I will again you are ALL>>such a great caring lot on here :!:
but it still surprises and pleases me when I see new evidence of it :wink: Its acts of kindness little nice comments just the feel of the forum
Its a privilege to be with you and Ive really had such a great days posting thanks :wink: :D
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Thanks Mousie, I just have convince the Mrs.
:lol: I'm sure you'll manage it! Where there's a will there's a way eh??

Mouse
x
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Where there's a will there's a way eh??
OOHH Mousie you are naughty :oops: :wink: :)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

not quite what I meant...but very funny Ros :lol: :lol:

Mousie
x
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

J&J in Brittany wrote:This June we had return visitors (third year running) who had lost their unborn baby in April four days before the due date. The mum had been so looking forward to bringing her little one to meet us, but over their fortnight here we managed many a chat and she was convinced that she went home feeling ready to cope again.
I've got a family coming in September who had the same thing happen (when the mum booked she was pregnant and so was I, so we had exchanged several e mails about it). I was heartbroken for her when she e mailed me to let me know (the baby was overdue, moving about a lot, umbilical cord, I don't need to elaborate) but she is still looking forward to coming with her older daughter and husband. I hope they have a lovely holiday and it helps them get over their loss.