Help! I need to change my ISP - any advice?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Normandy Cow

Help! I need to change my ISP - any advice?

Post by Normandy Cow »

We have been having a lot of trouble with our emails over the past couple of months and our ISP has not been at all helpful in resolving it.

So we need to switch ISPs I think - but I have no idea who to go with. We may go with BT, but I'd like to get some advice from other UK-based people if possible, before we sign up for anything.

Can anyone recommend a good (and good value) ISP? I am going to switch all my web hosting to 1and1, so I only need it for internet access and email.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

have a look here :)

www.thinkbroadband.com

they rate ISPs via their users
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

RE your hosting - I've just read a post on the LF forum you may be interested in from Arnold (Mascamps.com)
http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums ... spx#992038

I've always had my site hosted by www.ukwebsolutionsdirect.co.uk from the UK and they are a little dearer than hosts like 1&1, but my site comes up really well in the search engines and any queries I have are answered within about 10 mins.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My website has been with 1and1 for over two years, no problems at all.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I didn't say there were problems, it could just mean that there are fewer UK visitors to your site than you'd get with a UK host.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

They have a UK option, although it is hosted in germany, but No shortage of visitors to my site either.
ttp

Re: Help! I need to change my ISP - any advice?

Post by ttp »

Normandy Cow wrote:Can anyone recommend a good (and good value) ISP? I am going to switch all my web hosting to 1and1, so I only need it for internet access and email.
You do tend to 'get what you pay for' but we have been using Zen (www.zen.co.uk) for many years & they have always given good support of the couple of occasions we have needed it.
Regards

Nick Thompson

http://www.gite-in-brittany.co.uk
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

HelenB wrote:They have a UK option, although it is hosted in germany, but No shortage of visitors to my site either.
Did you actually read the relevant post in the link I gave Helen?
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Morning Daisy,

I use UKwebsolutions as well. Like my vet (for the animals of course) I do not tend to trouble them too much, but if I do have a query they are excellent.

Isn't it strange how the simplest of things slip one by?
I had never given much thought to why the majority of enquiries to our site were from the UK, I assumed it was because I had a UK domain name. Thanks for that LV, anything else I need to know 8)

Bobby
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Bobby wrote:Thanks for that LV, anything else I need to know 8)

Bobby
Yes, get your suncream ready, it's going to be a hot weekend in Brittany - 28°C on Sunday! But then you probably know that already... :?
ttp

Post by ttp »

La Vache wrote:I didn't say there were problems, it could just mean that there are fewer UK visitors to your site than you'd get with a UK host.
I don't understand, why would the location of the server affect the number of visitors from a particular country ?
Last edited by ttp on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Nick Thompson

http://www.gite-in-brittany.co.uk
KateK

Post by KateK »

We've been using PlusNet (www.plus.net) for years and even though there have been the odd problems I would still recommend them. All ISPs have problems from time to time, it's the way they deal with them that's important and PlusNet have generally been OK, fixing them pretty quickly. They were bought out by BT earlier this year and have recently been voted "Number 1 for Overall Customer Satisfaction in the UK" by uSwitch so I guess that's also a recommendation.

Kate
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have a uk domain, but my site is apparently hosted in Germany. Then why are 95% of the visitors to my site from th UK. I am not convinced it matters.
AndyLucia

Post by AndyLucia »

HelenB wrote:I have a uk domain, but my site is apparently hosted in Germany. Then why are 95% of the visitors to my site from th UK. I am not convinced it matters.
My understanding of this (gleaned from attendance at "Google University" sessions at far too many marketing do's in my previous life) is that it doesn't matter where the site is hosted, but the domain type will make a difference. So, for example, you should have a .com website if you are targeting a US market, .co.uk for a British market, .fr for French etc.

The company I was working for at the time, a corporate software vendor, had a .com site but was selling in the UK and Europe. We would get better search results on Google.com than we did on Google.co.uk, which was obviously where our potential customers were searching!!
AndyLucia
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

That's what I thought, that it was the domain that mattered rather than where the server was.