This is a first for me....

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
ginelli

This is a first for me....

Post by ginelli »

Hi everyone,

I just had this enquiry come through:

"Hi Gino,

Can I please book in the week of 8-15SEP07 for my customers the STRONG Family (Parents and 2 adult children)
STRONG/Christopher (Dan) Mr/Diane Mrs/Megan Miss/Benjamin Mr

We would prefer to transfer the money to your account by internet banking.

Thanks and regards,

Jason Kroupa
Owner Operator

Kroupa & Bourke House of Travel Ltd
193 High Street, Motueka
Nelson, New Zealand
Ph: 3-528-1122 Fax: 3-528-1121
DX: WC72005
Email: jasonk@hot.co.nz
Web Address: www.houseoftravel.co.nz"

It all sounds pretty legit but I've never had an agent come to me before wanting to make a booking for a client. How would you proceed with this one?

Thanks,

g
De l'audace, encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace (George-Jacques Danton)

www.hide-aways.com
Donna P

Post by Donna P »

Don't touch it with a barge poll Gino. They will probably ask you for your bank details next.
Be very careful how you proceed with this enquiry.

Donna x
"Stop the world I want to get off"
gpck

Post by gpck »

The website looks pretty legit. Why not contact them through the website to confirm it is a real enquiry?
gpck
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Scam! I had one similar to this but from agents operating in Thailand!

The postal address and the contact telephone numbers on the email don't match those on the website. If you want clarification I'd send an enquiry via the web contact form and wait for the result....but then again...this maybe a bogus website to back up the scam!
gpck

Post by gpck »

BagPuss wrote: The postal address and the contact telephone numbers on the email don't match those on the website. If you want clarification I'd send an enquiry via the web contact form and wait for the result....but then again...this maybe a bogus website to back up the scam!
The phone number & address do match the website!!!
gpck
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

:oops: You're right Feathers! I was just looking at the HO details!

Gino...if you do follow this through...be careful! If it were me I would spend a few cents and 'phone the company direct for confirmation and further details.
gpck

Post by gpck »

BagPuss wrote::oops: You're right Feathers!
Now there's a first!!! 8) Never known to be right before - so the wife tells me, anyway... :oops:
gpck
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Now there's a first!!! 8) Never known to be right before - so the wife tells me, anyway... :oops:
:lol: :lol: Well there's always a first time in everything! :lol:
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Donna P wrote:Don't touch it with a barge poll Gino. They will probably ask you for your bank details next.
Be very careful how you proceed with this enquiry.

Donna x
Am I missing something here? I have given out my bank details twice in the past couple of months to people that want to do a bank transfer. I didn't think there was a problem with this as I think it's quicker and at least once it's in they can't do anything about it :?

Alison
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

don't banks give you an account for wires so you are not giving access to your own account at all? (mine does) I have alwayss been told that you never need to give your personal bank details...that the bank as a speficif account to recieve and you just need to be referenced? Once a wire goes though, it goes through...no turning back :-) so much safer than a check I think that you have to wait to clear...still would be careful though, as always!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I wouldnt touch it either..dont ask why but I wouldnt..if you do want to ask lots of questions[and see if they actually answer them] like how did you get my details...why are they booking through you and not directly..smells scam to me Im afraid :( ..Ive had loads of em as well....
Wish PC was here he would know straight off :!:
Never known to be right before - so the wife tells me, anyway...
Well you were right when you said you were in Bury St Edmunds and not Florida..werent ya :roll: ..but then again did you have to check by looking out of the Window :wink: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ginelli

Post by ginelli »

I think I'll give them a call.
De l'audace, encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace (George-Jacques Danton)

www.hide-aways.com
ginelli

Post by ginelli »

Just called them. 3am over there!! They actually have a manned answering service and I spoke to someone. I left a message for this jason guy to call me. See what happens. Like I say it appears to be a legit company. I'm wondering though how I'm going to go about getting a signed rental agreement, pass over key information, etc????

www.hide-aways.com
ginelli

Post by ginelli »

Yes Big Sis, I know what you mean. There's a little gremlin scuttling around inside my head.

www.hide-aways.com
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

gino wrote:I think I'll give them a call.
Good move Gino.

The website looks, and probably is totally legit, but I'll bet a weeks pocket money that Jason Kroupa does not work there, or it was not he who sent the email.

I am Richard, and I want to send you money.
My home website is www.msn.com

Easy huh ?