Bloody Observer!

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
Stu

Bloody Observer!

Post by Stu »

Please see the 'spam' from the Observer's advertising dept, and my reply to it. The pompousness of their blurb makes me want to vomit.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Your link doesn't work to enable my removal from your spam. Please do so manually. I have no idea how you got my e-mail address and nor do I wish to avail myself of your ads. I don't read The Observer, never have and never will.

We try not to appeal to the 'best educated and highest earning newspaper readers', nor would we wish to. Now bugger off, I'm having lunch.

Regards,

----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2007 2:04 PM
Subject: Bargain ad deal for you in the Observer Magazine...

Hi there,

I just wanted to drop you a quick email to let you know about an absolute bargain offer for advertising your site in The Observer Magazine.

We have a couple of spaces left for our page for the 21st October and they have to be sold in the next few days. If you would like to see your site in front of 1.2million of the best educated and highest earning newspaper readers then this is the ideal opportunity.

The Offer

Publication: The Observer Magazine. More info.
Issue: 21st October
Readership: 1.2million
Rate card: £995
Offer: £275 (72% discount)

If you would like me to get our art department starting to put together your free of charge artwork, then give me a call now on 020 7649 9712.

This particular issue is also part of a Ready-Made Campaign four of which are available on our new website.

We would always recommend running your ad for a few weeks and offer better rates for doing so. If you would like to see your sites ad in a proper campaign for 2007, get in touch and I'll be happy to go through the details.

Best regards,

Alison Wright
T: 020 7649 9712

alison@webwindows.co.uk

www.webwindows.co.uk

----------------------

Please remove me
Last edited by Stu on Fri May 16, 2008 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Sorry Stu, But there is no mission like commission! even in a so called high brow world :roll:
Cheers
PC
Stu

Post by Stu »

Paul, I wouldn't have minded so much if they'd at least tried to get the details right! We've never been a dot uk website and nor do we use the hyphens between words!

Quite apart from the bloody pompous attitude that if you're an Observer reader you MUST be high earning and super intelligent. Jaysus, save me from these eejits!
Last edited by Stu on Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enid

Post by enid »

Just read your reply to the Observer to Kevin and we both ended up rolling about. He gives you 3 stars for that response and I give you 5 for making us laugh :D
Giddy Goat

Re: Bloody Observer!

Post by Giddy Goat »

Stu wrote:The pompousness of their blurb makes me want to vomit............. Now bugger off, I'm having lunch.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Hope you managed to keep it down Stu!!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Stu

I enjoyed your response, thanks for sharing it with us.

Very amusing indeed :!:

:lol:

Chianti
Stu

Post by Stu »

Gascony Goat wrote:
Red Rum wrote:The pompousness of their blurb makes me want to vomit............. Now bugger off, I'm having lunch.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Hope you managed to keep it down!!
Fortunately GG, I have a very strong stomach! Oh, and a brie & jalapeno baguette is NOT to be wasted!
Last edited by Stu on Fri May 16, 2008 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Quite apart from the bloody pompous attitude that if you're an Observer reader you MUST be high earning and super intelligent. Jaysus, save me from these eejits!
:wink: :lol:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Stu wrote:
I don't read The Observer, never have and never will.
Hi Stu

I can understand your irritation with unsolicited advertising trawls but I'd be cautious about throwing out the Observer baby with the advertising department's bathwater. In a long (and sometimes chequered) history, the newspaper has broken important stories and taken principled stands. The paper is not to everybody's taste but (to me) it is a welcome relief from the general run of the tub-thumping British press in full cry after a 'nothing' story. The Observer did stitch me up badly over a picture story idea in the 80's but I wouldn't damn a whole organisation for the actions of an individual.

Or maybe I'm sympathetic because I'm a best-educated and high-earning sorta guy! I wish.

Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Stu wrote: If you would like to see Le-Chant-D-Oiseau in front of 1.2million of the best educated and highest earning newspaper readers then this is the ideal opportunity.
Having worked for about a year on and off for Times Newspapers Ltd on their classified advertising section, I am sure that, pompous though the statement sounds, I agree, the Observer would have had well researched evidence to support this claim, and they are right to use it as a selling point.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Gascony Goat wrote:
Stu wrote: If you would like to see Le-Chant-D-Oiseau in front of 1.2million of the best educated and highest earning newspaper readers then this is the ideal opportunity.
They are right to shout about their readership, but do you believe it? More than other broadsheets including the FT, I wonder?

Chianti
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

As I read it, they weren't claiming to have the lion's share I don't think, just that they have a lot of this category of reader, Chianti. :)
Liane Goodlife France

Post by Liane Goodlife France »

Stu wrote:Now bugger off, I'm having lunch.
That's a classic line, really made me laugh. :lol:
'Life's a garden, dig it!'
kirkland

Post by kirkland »

can I just say our problem guests last week left The Sun behind
Liane Goodlife France

Kirkland and problem guests

Post by Liane Goodlife France »

Dear Kirkland, maybe we should all have a button on our enquiry forms asking which newspapers our prospective guests read, that would sort the problem out! LOL.
'Life's a garden, dig it!'