Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

key words & Meta Tags
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrylakes

Your link said:

Quote:
Someone thinks you're too lazy to use Google before asking a question. Now someone is tired of answering stupid questions and sent you a link to this site to point out that you can easily find the answer yourself. Please do so.

Owwww!- I'm sorry for the "dumb question" Wink

It gets a bit tedious when people ask stupid questions without being bothered to do any research of their own doesn't it?

But, you know, BL, I only asked the dumb question because I HAD done some research. Laughing

The text on this page

http://www. hollytree-lodge.co.uk/limefitt.php

Quote:
Limefitt Park is spectacularly located in one of Lakeland’s most beautiful valleys capturing the very spirit of the Lake District National Park.

Limefitt is a friendly place offering peace and tranquillity surrounded by truly breath taking scenery with spectacular and unspoilt surroundings. You will have direct access to the Lakeland fells where you will find an abundance of walks and wildlife. Limefitt features Lakeland stone buildings, mature trees and traditional stone walls. The valley rises steeply upwards to meet the peaks of Yoke, Froswick and High Street which dominate the landscape.

The Troutbeck stream runs through Limefitt Park, set against a spectacular backdrop and diverse terrain. Limefitt Park is a paradise not only for walkers and climbers but also for a whole host of other outdoor activities.

Limefitt on park facilities include a fully equipped adventure playground where youngsters can delight in burning up surplus energy and a cosy Lakeland bar ‘The Haybarn’ that assures you a warm welcome with a superb range of meals and a selection of Cumberland ales served for your enjoyment while staying at Limefitt Park.

looks remarkably similar to the text on this page

http://www. slholidays.co.uk/Limefitt

Quote:

Limefitt Park is spectacularly located in one of Lakeland’s most beautiful valleys capturing the very spirit of the Lake District National Park.

Limefitt is a friendly place offering peace and tranquillity surrounded by truly breath taking scenery with spectacular and unspoilt surroundings. You will have direct access to the Lakeland fells where you will find an abundance of walks and wildlife. Limefitt features Lakeland stone buildings, mature trees and traditional stone walls. The valley rises steeply upwards to meet the peaks of Yoke, Froswick and High Street which dominate the landscape.

The Troutbeck stream runs through Limefitt Park, set against a spectacular backdrop and diverse terrain. Limefitt Park is a paradise not only for walkers and climbers but also for a whole host of other outdoor activities.

Limefitt on park facilities include a fully equipped adventure playground where youngsters can delight in burning up surplus energy and a cosy Lakeland bar ‘The Haybarn’ that assures you a warm welcome with a superb range of meals and a selection of Cumberland ales served for your enjoyment while staying at Limefitt Park.

As your page has a copyright notice on it I imagine you must have written it.

Quote:
Holly Tree Lodge 2011 ©

Should you be getting South Lakeland Parks to remove it from their site so that you avoid any duplicate content penalties?

(or is that another dumb question?) Wink
BarryLakes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I see you took offence to my link, very sorry to upset you, that was not my intention. I am aware you have had a number of issues with a number of lodge owners at Limefitt, as well as the park owners, South Lakeland Parks.

I understand a new owner such as myself could cause you distress and be seen as a threat to your own rental income as we are in direct competition. I must add that we both own lodges within the same holiday park for those who do not know.

However, as I class myself as a professional & also have respect for fellow Limefitt owners and members of this forum, I will not be discussing issues like this on a public message board in a section aimed at helping fellow web site owners build & maintain there holiday let web sites.

Regarding Google duplicate content, see here for more information: http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66359&&hl=en

Thank you for your input.

Regards
Barry
Windy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Windy, I see you took offence to my link, very sorry to upset you

Oh not really Barrylakes - I wasn't upset - I just thought it was a bit crass so my patience with you finally wore a bit thin. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
However, as I class myself as a professional & also have respect for fellow Limefitt owners, I will not be discussing issues like this on a public message board.

Do you take yourself seriously ???? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

As you can't fail to be aware there is plenty more material about copyright violation (from my own websites this time) where that came from so I wouldn't get onto too high a horse about how professional you are and how you respect fellow owners Wink

Last edited by Windy on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
BarryLakes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windy wrote:
Do you take yourself seriously ???? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Rolling Eyes
Windy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rolling Eyes

Barry / Tony - whatever your name is

I should probably make it clear, as you obviously haven't worked it out yet, that my irritation with you began in June when you (or someone associated with you) copied swathes of my web site text and pictures for use on your own web site without my permission.

We had some correspondence in which you (or Tony) used the excuse that you had used a "college boy" to do your web site. (How wonderful that since then you (or Tony) have learned so much about SEO and .htaccess files!) You (or Tony) had to take your entire site down as a result. You (or Tony) also used a lot of my text on your Let's Stay Advert, which you also had to remove.

When someone who pleaded ignorance as an excuse for copyright violation then does it again straight away on their new site (not my material this time but SLP's as shown above) and then witters on about respect for other owners and professionalism I'm afraid my ability to bite my tongue finds its limits.

Barry/ Tony - this site has a lot of highly professional and ethical rental owners contributing to it.

If you want to be part of it I think you need to take a step back and start again.
BarryLakes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windy wrote:
Quote:
Rolling Eyes

Barry / Tony - whatever your name is

I should probably make it clear, as you obviously haven't worked it out yet, that my irritation with you began in June when you (or someone associated with you) copied swathes of my web site text and pictures for use on your own web site without my permission.

We had some correspondence in which you (or Tony) used the excuse that you had used a "college boy" to do your web site. (How wonderful that since then you (or Tony) have learned so much about SEO and .htaccess files!) You (or Tony) had to take your entire site down as a result. You (or Tony) also used a lot of my text on your Let's Stay Advert, which you also had to remove.

When someone who pleaded ignorance as an excuse for copyright violation then does it again straight away on their new site (not my material this time but SLP's as shown above) and then witters on about respect for other owners and professionalism I'm afraid my ability to bite my tongue finds its limits.

Barry/ Tony - this site has a lot of highly professional and ethical rental owners contributing to it.

If you want to be part of it I think you need to take a step back and start again.

Hollytree lodge was purchased as a family business. After purchasing the lodge we instructed a web designer, who is also a family friend & local college student, to construct a web site for us.

As you know, after receiving your emails in June we realised that a number of images and text had infact been copied from your web site in the construction of our own. As stated then, we were not aware of this until you contacted us so we appreciated your email.

We took the decision to pull the web site immediately to address the issues you had highlighted. All points you raised in your emails where resolved and our new web site went live in July.

I hope you understand that the use of your images and text was not intentional on our behalf and upon your initial contact the website was immediately removed to enable us to resolve all the issued you had highlighted. I also took this opportunity to redesign the web site myself. Being a PHP/SQL developer, front-end design is not my usual line of work.

Regarding the use of SLP text on our new web site, SLP are aware of the use of the text displayed on our Limefitt page, however we take on board that our copyright statement on that page is a little misleading, we will be amending this shortly.

If you come across any other issues regarding our new web site then we are happy to review them however I do feel this post is not the place for such discussions to take place.
Windy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry, when your friend Tony gave me the excuse about all of the copyright "borrowing" from my sites not being your fault because you'd handed the job to a college kid, I put it down to the fact that you must be real amateurs and, once you had removed the large quantity of offending material from your web site (and your paid for listing on Lets Stay that you must have delegated to him too), I moved on.

After all people who don't know anything at all about the web might not know that they should:

* Provide a design brief
* Provide original SEO optimised text
* Provide original photos and images
* Ask questions about where text and images used on the site came from.

Roll on a couple of months and you appear on this forum offering advice on SEO and technical web architecture and telling the world how uber-professional you are about the rental business.

Perhaps you can see why I might be a bit surprised by this development Wink

OK let's move on....
BarryLakes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As detailed to you previous, we are not willing to discuss such matters any further over a web site as the issues you are highlighting where promptly resolved in June. So I am glad to here you are now willing to move on from this.

If you have any future problems, as already stated to you, feel free to contact me again, or if you would prefer we can arrange to disuss your issues over a coffee at the park.
Big Sis..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well John, they do say imitation is the sincerest form of something or other Wink mind you Ive never believed it.......think its just laziness Cool
Jimbo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... you had used a "college boy" to do your web site.

Ah, that naughty college boy. Doesn't he ever rest? He's helped himself to big chunks of my copyright material as well over the years and stolen income that was rightfully mine. And it's funny because, when I was a 'college boy' in the 1970s, we regularly studied copyright issues as part of our course - and, back then, copyright was by no means the hot potato that it has become in this cut and paste world.

Mind you, if I was going to prod somebody with a stick, I'm not sure that I'd choose Windy!

Jim
Hells Bells

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor me Jimbo.
tandrash

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Duplicate Content Reply with quote

Yes Google does penalize duplicate content so try and provide unique content for each page including titles and description tags
Jez Lister
Serviced Apartments Leeds
Serviced Apartments Manchester, Liverpool, York
Giddy Goat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is exceptionally annoying about Google though is that (unless I'm mistaken) this means that the originator of the text is also likely to be penalised: Google surely cannot differentiate between original and plagiarised material?
Windy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it can and does (but who knows??)
e-richard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windy wrote:
I believe it can and does (but who knows??)

I'm totally guessing here, but presumably its quite easy for Google to determine which came first based on date the text was first indexed ?
How to build your own personal website from scratch