Would love some comments on website!

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Chambo

Would love some comments on website!

Post by Chambo »

Hello,

OK, am nervous but would it be possible for people to have a look at my site for our gite in Haute-Vienne?
We've revamped the front and am just waiting for a sunny day to take some more outside shots for the front page... I also think I need to update some of the text because it's a bit unclear about what we actually are? Dunno.
Thank you in advance!
Anna
http://www.vacvertes.com
enid

Post by enid »

I've had a very quick look and I was pleased to see black text on a white background - easy on these old eyes!!! I'm rather less enamoured of the green - I found it a bit bright and distracting - I think if you found a more natural green it would fit better with your ethos. Liked the photos and the description of the property and region. As I say just a quick look for now.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Another quick look

I am not sure what you are selling - is it B+B or is it a gite?

I am not keen on the green - it isn't a very "holiday" colour for me.

The "we are now taking bookings for summer 2007" makes me wonder why you are not already booked. We are taking bookings for 2008 - I'm not saying you should be - but don't headline the 2007. Perhaps you should say - Last minute availability for 2007, or last remaining weeks or something.

Sorry - dinners ready so got to go!

Ju
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

I agree with the green comments - the tone is a bit strident ? Perhaps a softer shade would be better -like oak leaf green.
I know you need to keep the green for the theme.
You mention about the residential courses only briefly in the headline and I assume this is one of the really important pieces of info you want to get across. Maybe you could mention clearly on the homepage that you are offering art and organic veg.classes so it is getting the message home immediately.
Then those who are interested can follow up with the course pages.
I would like to see a few more pictures on the home page to break the text up a bit and keep the visual interest, even though you have quite a few shots on the moving picture.
I found it very easy to negotiate, if that is the correct terminology, which for me is quite amazing.
Chambo

comments for Vacances Vertes les Belles

Post by Chambo »

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my posts and your comments really are appreciated. It was such a long hard slog getting the place just how we wanted, that I think marketing got a bit left behind.. Now we have our first guests in, who adore the house and the disabled access, I am starting to become proud of what we have acheived and really care about how we present ourselves.

Anyway - the green. It's funny because I loved it before because it was erm bold (!) but am now starting to agree with all of you. Thinking back to some classy sites I've loved, they were always more olivey or like you say Fincafern, more oak leaf? And yes, it isn't too holidayish?

And yes again, it is unclear about what we are - again, now we have guests in, it's homed my thoughts and have already re-written the text.

It also dawned on me that haven't promoted our courses nearly enough - will also get onto my brother (designer!) about putting a better link and more photos on the front page.

Oh, and Ju - absolutely correct again - it does look a bit desperate, doesn't it!

Sorry for waffling but this is an amazing service and I'd love to hear any more comments - cheers and good luck to you all!
Anna
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

I like the design of your website (although the black text on green is difficult to read), however as I'm very visual when it comes to booking a place, I feel your photos aren't selling the house well at all, too small and dark. It seems like a wonderful large house, I'd like to see a large exterior shot (that isn't part of the slideshow). I dont actually feel that bedroom shots on a main page help sell a property, unless a guest is looking for a sleepy holiday rather than active (perhaps thats just me). You mention historical buildings and a swimming lake in the village, I'd post pictures of those on the main page! I believe photos are more important than the text (although I also know theres a fine balance as for search engine purposes text is good).

Just my opinion! Your house sounds very interesting, I'm looking forward to more pictures!
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

I've just had a quick look and agree with the comments re clarity on what you're doing; the green colour; and promoting your courses.

I also think you should have bigger photos on the home page and maybe more than one - I know they're changing but if someone just glances at your home page, they won't see that.
The layout of the accommodation page is more inviting, imho.

Nice looking place and the courses sound interesting so i think you really should push them more.

Best of luck!
Lounging on the lily pad...
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

It looks lovely to me :D and as green frog says the courses look interesting..It isnt really clear what you are though as Ficafern says..
Good Luck anyway :wink:
J&J

Post by J&J »

I agree with the other comments - I still haven't worked out whether the house is available as a gite or if it's b&b only. I assume you must live there too but are your rooms in the house (as they should be for Chambres d'Hotes in France) or in another outbuilding? It would be helpful to your potential guests if this was made clearer.

If I were a potential client with a large group, I would be a little concerned, from the photos, whether the house can really accommodate 14 people. The lounge looks small with only one sofa and one armchair and the kitchen table (I assume from the text that there is no dining room) doesn't look as if it will seat more than about eight people.

I would like to see more photos and less text. I'm not sure that most people's attention span would be long enough to read everything that you want them to know.

One thing that might be a problem for you . . .
As I understand the law in France, as a B&B, you can offer breakfast and a table d'hote meal (EITHER lunch or dinner). If you offer full board (i.e. three meals per day) then you are legally classified as a Hotel and will then be subject to all the additional fire regulations and food preparation regs etc. that go with that. It might be wise to change your offer to ensure that only breakfast plus one meal is provided, leaving your guests the option of eating out for the other meal. (Oh, and don't forget you will need to get a Class II License - usually free from your local douanes office).

Good luck with it all. I hope it proves to be a success for you.
Chambo

website comments

Post by Chambo »

Thank you again for all of your really helpful comments..

We have actually done all the registration as a hotel (via the permis de construire) already because we have 6 rooms (and maybe more in future). We had to get a fire alarm system put in and follow guidance from the Pompiers.

Again, you are all right, it is very unclear what we are.. Perhaps I need to state self-catering more and mention that we can provide meals with prior arrangement for large groups. I've re-done the text already and will try and add it ASAP.

It's a shame that the photos aren't obviously showing the size of the place well enough - you can definitely seat 14 around the table and there are more sofas - the photos aren't working! Will do a rethink about taking some more.

I will also get on to exterior shots, the current outside one is terrible. I was waiting until we'd finished painting the outside and had a sunny day to take the pictures! I have just briefed a friend who is staying with us to take his swanky camera to various locations and will also add these ASAP.

And the courses - I'm thinking along the lines of a very large banner to advertise them better on the front page. Brilliant advice.

Well, sorry again about the lengthy reply but there has been so much good advice to think about and wanted you all to know that I am taking it all on board.

Cheers!
Anna
boberry

Post by boberry »

Agree with Ju

Plus photos a bit dark-try picasa from google or speak to E-Richard Best of luck
home is where you lay your @
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I can only agree with past comments - the message as to what you are offering is a little confusing (gites/chambre d'hôtes/educational courses) I didn't like the green, it isn't my favourite colour and I thought it looked as though the property is in Ireland rather than France. Some of the things in the text were a little confusing - I couldn't understand why people would go to the trouble and expense of bringing their dogs to France only to put their dogs in boarding kennels 10 mins away from your place, what's the point in that? Also there should be a photo of the attractive garden furniture and barbecue and why the phrase that guests are welcome to use it, doesn't it go without saying?
Sorry to be picky, you have a lovely place, but I don't like words when they are not required on a website - people don't want to know about ample crockery and pots and pans - that sort of thing should go without saying. They want to see photos, lots of them, and know the basics of the accommodation and the things to see and do in the area.
You could probably do with a map on the site too as a lot of people haven't got a clue where Haute Vienne is in France, with the various travel options from the UK.
boberry

Post by boberry »

I have to disagree with overboard in that, being tall I like to see that the bed has no obstructions at the bottom of it, and tend to stay away from the ones that have-having just booked a holiday myself, I can say it was an important factor.
home is where you lay your @
Fraise

Re: Would love some comments on website!

Post by Fraise »

Chambo wrote:Hello,

OK, am nervous but would it be possible for people to have a look at my site for our gite in Haute-Vienne?
... I also think I need to update some of the text because it's a bit unclear about what we actually are? Dunno.
Thank you in advance!
Anna
http://www.vacvertes.com

Hi Anna. I think you have hit the nail on the head. Until YOU know what you are offering the rest of us are in the dark? I read your front page and wasn't sure if I would be sharing the house with others or not?
Good luck whichever way you decide to go :?
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

boberry wrote:I have to disagree with overboard in that, being tall I like to see that the bed has no obstructions at the bottom of it, and tend to stay away from the ones that have-having just booked a holiday myself, I can say it was an important factor.
Interesting, but does this really warrant a valuable index page image slot which is where we only have a few seconds to sell the property? Wouldn't people like yourself that like the overall look of the property then venture to secondary pages with the interior pictures to check on bed sizes?

Aren't we more likely to click on links redirecting to a bedroom picture than from a bedroom picture?

I must check others websites again as I'm rather interested in this now, maybe I'll start a survey. :)