Postal Problems & Banking!!

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Big Sis..

Postal Problems & Banking!!

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All :) ..

I know there have been postal strikes in the last week or so..[and they are continuing until the 8th August or thereabouts]
But I wondered how others have been affected[If at all]
I am expecting a deposit chq which was posted well over a week ago[seems really genuine and the lady is really upset it hasnt got here..] Im not too worried as the booking is for next year..
Its just that I have received other Deposits & Balances which were sent after this and I wondered if the problems were worse in certain areas where depending where the letter is posted. :roll:
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Ros, i've been away, so I couldn't tell you. One advantage of paypal, you are not reliant on the post.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thats True Helen :)
I must admit though I dont usually have many problems getting chqs promptly....
But I will think about Pay Pal..[you know how I am trying new stuff :roll: ]..It would be useful Im sure..
Thanks for the suggestion :wink:
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I've just used Paypal to take a payment from the US.

The lady deposited $1,235.00 but Paypal took a fee (from me) of $48.47. :twisted:

Needless to say, in future I shall be insisting either on sterling or Euro cheques, or a bank transfer to my bank account, with the sender to pay all charges...
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Gosh :!: I didnt realise it was that much[think I will continue with postman Pat :wink: ]
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have added the charges onto my rental costs, but there is also a facility on my booking system to add the fee onto the customers booking as a surcharge.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I think, Ros, that the postal probs have varied from place to place, as the strikes roll through different parts of the network - they're using a "dispersed" technique.
So I would hang on for another day or so before getting concerned - then PANIC! :?: :o :? :P :twisted: :x :shock:

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

The lady deposited $1,235.00 but Paypal took a fee (from me) of $48.47. :twisted:
Yep, PayPal encourages its users to pay with credit cards, and then they take a fairly standard fee from you when they do.

I encourage my clients to pay with the eCheque function of PayPal, which only charges E5 no matter what the amount -- but many still use credit cards. A couple of years ago I decided that our prices are high enough that I shouldn't quibble if I make a few euros less for some. PayPal is (mostly) exceedingly convenient, and has made it possible for us to do business with a French bank account even though we are thousands of miles away and in a country whose banks are decidedly ostrich-like when it comes to the existence of other currencies.

However, if I lived in Europe, I might prefer the old-fashioned way. Except in case of strike. :)
Brooke
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

N.C. - you may wnat to think of asking your US guests to pay the extra PayPal fee..or finding another credit card option...bank transfers cost quite a bit from the US (depends on the bank though) and you are probably charged a fee to recieve too (?) also..Americans (in general) are REALLY scared of wire transfers (don't know why really) and they are rarely done here :-( I had to send a bank draft to europe the other day from the US...and got hit with a wire transfer fee (to wire my USD to a Euro branch) AND a bank draft fee :-(
(of course, if most of your guests are not from the US, then it's not really worth the time trying to figure out something really)
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I think, Ros, that the postal probs have varied from place to place, as the strikes roll through different parts of the network - they're using a "dispersed" technique.
So I would hang on for another day or so before getting concerned - then PANIC!
Thanks Mols :) thats exactly what I wondered about it seems odd that some are getting through fine..
:wink: and what was wrong with Mr green he was feeling very left out :wink: :mrgreen:

BTW do you want a giggleI think us 2 are the only ones who are strictly on topic..thats a first Eh :wink:

I am joking guys of course :) Pay Pal etc is all Food for thought :idea:
I paid my Irish :wink: euro chq in today and was charged £5 which wasnt too bad really..
fibi

Post by fibi »

Ros,

my OH works for Royal Mail and has been doing his own job (playing with planes and trains - he manages the network :D :D !) and hauling bags into planes for 12 hours during the night :cry: :cry: !

The strikes as they are at present really should not be delaying your mail - strikes are by function and unless your delivery postman is striking a particular day services should be as usual. However I suspect that this will not continue. Already there have been many illegal wildcat strikes and once they start its difficult to stop so I think a national strike maybe on the cards late this week or early next....so why not try bank transfers ? No charge and no hassle!
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Brooke, I should try to remember an encourage them to pay by echeque, but I never get round to remembering, and most pay by credit card I assume. I have even used the echaeque to transfer my own money from the UK to France, as the echeque is so much more convenient than going to the bank to make an international transfer.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Feebs How lovely to see you :D ... :wink:

Thanks for that,
Its just odd shes been ringing most days to see if its arrived..As I said its for next June so Im not too worried..But the bank transfers is a good idea I do have a passbook account that I could use.. :) There will be some balances due soon and that would help then as well[mind you hope it doesnt last long as there are some keys to be sent soon :)
How nice for you to pop back Im really pleased. :D Made my night :wink:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Big Sis.. wrote:I think us 2 are the only ones who are strictly on topic..thats a first Eh :wink:
Oh dear! Memo to self - try harder in future - staying on topic is definitely not required (as my German colleagues would never say, but they are damn good drifters!)

Seriously though, I've had stuff taking 5 or 6 days in the last week, but I still get a mail delivery every day (usually Junk of course - that always gets through!) so that suggests to me that the strike action is affecting different sectors of the industry (as planned).

Ho-hum, there's always courier services if we're really desperate.

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Fibi said
so why not try bank transfers ? No charge and no hassle!
That's the way I do it...(and have done for the last 3 years) no charge and no hassle! The majority of people nowadays have access to online banking facilities. If people don't have online banking in the UK, then they deposit a cheque into our savings account at the nearest available branch....easy peasy! :D