Postal Problems & Banking!!

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

La Vache, when we first opened a French account it was with britline. I have to have a barclays account though, as it was part of the mortgage deal. Britline closed my account without telling me it had done so, and it has taken me ages to get back some cash (for a last minute rental) that was paid into it at Easter. Not impressed with britline anymore, sorry. Once the fixed rate has expired, I will try and arrange a mortgage deal elsewhere, and open an account with our local branch of CA. Trouble is with CA, each region is really a different bank. My experience of French banks is not good.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All..
Seriously Im going to give this some thought I will ring her in the morning if the chq comes I can always tear it up[after the transfer of course
Well thanks again for your input :wink: ...
Spoke to the lady yesterday and she transferred the money so SORTED..and guess what yep youve got it..
..the chq arrived today only took 10 days pretty good really :roll: :) so I will be returning it of course[she should get it next Micklemas :roll:] I know I could just tear it uo but Ive got to send a receipt so might as well put it in I reckon...
Sent keys Monday to someone else.... more concerned about them ...but I do have a plan B :wink:if they dont arrive :)
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

That's interesting. I reminded someone yesterday about their balance being overdue and she just mailed to say she sent the cheque last Thursday, think I'll give it till Monday and see if it turns up but I have been receiving mail this week, come to think of it, all bills :roll:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Party :D ..

As someone said here I think its been in different areas at a time..
Ive received stuff Ok as well [in a couple of days usually]but if the area that it was sent from was having industrial action... it wouldnt have got to your area to be delivered..that how Ive viewed it anyway... :wink: :)
BTW Glad your son got off Ok! and that he has a great time :)
gh

Post by gh »

Enjoy your week-end Party :) we've not had any mail this week until today. Mind you were are south of Glasgow, reported to be another 2 day strike from Monday.

Think we'll be contacting departing guests and suggest a bank transfer for deposit return.

Helen
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Think we'll be contacting departing guests and suggest a bank transfer for deposit return.
Exactly what I am doing Helen :!: ... :wink: due to suggestions here.. :wink:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All :) ,

Thought Id post again here as there are widespread Postal Strikes in the UK at the moment.

Of course us who are here are very much aware of them.

But others that are abroad and planning to send or expecting something sent from the UK might not be.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/cont ... l%20Strike
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Re postal strike. I thought there was a big thing about Royal Mail (I still think of them as GPO!) not having the monopoly anymore. How come then I'm not besieged with other companies offering to deliver my letters? Are the alternatives just for the more lucrative business sector?

I wish I could get more paying by bank transfer. I wonder if I offer a fiver discount that would work? Lucky Dave is so on top of finances as the bank lost a balance cheque last month. He had numerous phone calls (all at our expense of course) to get the money into our account. Now he photocopies every cheque he deposits. :roll:

Ros, you should be a moderator, hope i haven't crept tooooo much!
fibi

Post by fibi »

Royal Mail don't have a monopoly but the big companies only want big company postings - our deposit cheques and balance cheques actually cost them money to deliver - they make a huge loss on social postings. Royal Mail therefore have to provide universal deliveries and collections while other courier firms cream off the profitable letters.

the strike will affect all deliveries to Wednesday next week then unless things are sorted (not likely imho) there will be more striked next week-and the next-and the next....

I would try £5 or even £10 off for bank transfers - or better still charge to pay by cheque!
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Dealing with a 'needy' booking as I write. Wants to pay by Visa by telephone, but not online by Paypal (can't do it) . I have offered to talk him through the booking, best I can do. I will offer a bank transfer (to France), but only if I look like I am losing the booking.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Not so easy peasy in Italy. I want to know the easiest and cheapest method for Americans and Canadians to pay. Almost all banks in Italy charge huge fees for bank transfers, cheques etc. which are paid into ones account.

I know that one can buy an € money order from post offices in France which is also cashed at the post office here, with no charge, but don't know what's available in North America.

I'm not keen on using PayPal.

Do the clients get charged for using a bank transfer at their end, or is it only the receiving end where the charge occurs?

It's certainly a sticky one here.

Chianti
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I would bet that Canadians have an easier time getting a check in Euros than Americans. I've been to several banks here asking if they'd write a check in Euros and they've all looked at me like I was crazy. And it's not like I was in the middle of nowhere. I live in a small city which is on the end of the NYC commuter train line, and my parents live in a big SoCal city -- so if it's not available in those places, it's probably not available in most US areas.

And yes, we do get charged for bank transfers. I've never done it at my bank, but whenever we transfer money from my parents' bank account in the US to their French bank account, it costs $40 on the US end.
Brooke
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

It's also pretty pricy to do an international bank transfer from here in the UK.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but even if you're doing just a few international transactions per annum, it may be worth signing up with something like XEtrade.

OK, you do have to go through the normal anti-money laundering shenanigans to set up a new account, but its no worse than opening any sort of bank account, and I managed to do it all on-line, scanning in appropriate docs and uploading to them.

I have transferred $US from USA to UK and regularly from UK to Portugal. You can do it all on-line for a fixed fee of about £8.15 per transaction regardless of the amount and at quite favourable exchange rates too.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

GG, should be less than £20. I am having my own difficulties due to the postal strike. My French bank has suddenly decided it cannot accept my requests by fax, unless I return to them an authorisation form (by post). I have faxed these requests without problem for over two years.