Your comments on our new web site, please

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
KateK

Your comments on our new web site, please

Post by KateK »

We have just made our web site live and would love to hear what other people think about it - I think. It's at www.macgolf.co.uk.

I think it's fantastic - but then I'm biased because it was our daughter that did it! She knows I'm going to ask you for your thoughts and I'll be passing them on to her.

Thanks

Kate
If it's true that if you look like your passport photo you are too sick to travel I should have given up long ago!
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

try this one...just having a look now :)

http://www.macgolf.co.uk/
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

just some v quick observations (cos I'm in the middle of packing boxes)

I like the pic under the "apartment" title, but the others seem a bit dark to me. I would ditch the pic of the hob and try and get a photo of the kitchen that's more complete. Also the 2 bedroom shots look too similar.
In gereral, I love the tone of the text...chatty and informal ;)

will try and have a better look later...bbs!
ttp

Post by ttp »

It looks very nice but from the index page:

a fully modern kitchen and bathroom(s),

Doesn't flow & how many bathrooms ?

Also
the Algarve in Portugal

Is there an Algarve anywhere else ?

A purely personal thing, but I don't like exclamation marks everywhere (but I don't like canned laughter either).
Regards

Nick Thompson

http://www.gite-in-brittany.co.uk
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Quick glance only. We all like to know we are safe on holiday, and in view of the recent kidnapping of Madeline McCann, I can see why you are emphasising the security. However, it would make me nervous that we were going to an area of high crime, so would hesitate to book.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm a little tired, so please forgive me, there wasn't much in the site I liked content wise.
The text is hard to read, as ttp said, the exclaimation marks were really annoying, as were the phrases in brackets, as was a lot of the rather unimportant information.
If I was going on a self catering holiday, I'd expect cupboards full of crockery, glasses and cups, I'd expect hot and cold running water so why mention it? And what exactly is a cleansing dishwasher? I'd change camp beds to folding beds, the photos were too dark and as has been said before, why one of the hob? It isn't exactly a USP.
I agree with HelenB, the focus on the safety aspect would probably put me off as it sounds like the whole area is a hotbed of crime.
Also too many words like "actually really" together which really actually don't make sense.
On the homepage the photos are a bit arty, and a photo of a sofa and some pool water wouldn't encourage me to look further, but the one of the beach is OK.
I'd also like to know how many bedrooms and the number of people the apartment sleeps clearly stated on the homepage. Very important!
Sorry! :oops:
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

actually, I quite liked the chatty informal style! It would stick in my mind when looking at loads of adverts as being a bit different, but then each to his/her own :)

I agree about the over-emphasis on security tho.
charles

Post by charles »

I like it - it's modern, jazzy and bright + easy to read.

I would suggest centering all the images in the center part of the pages - it looks a bit odd otherwise.

The graphics are very nice and the photos look ok to me - but I suspect the font shade should be a bit darker - it's border line on readability at the moment, imho.

And ditch some of the !!!!s

Otherwise looks very good.

Post by fibi »

I like this site too - its different and I do like the chatty style although the explanation marks did start to get on my nerves a bit.

The biggest turn off for me was the things to do list when I expected each one to click onto a relevant page but they didn't - how disappointing!

There was one page for the first 3 and one page for the last 3 but neither page was particularly relevant to the item on the what to do list. maybe the to do list still has to be done?
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
KateK

Post by KateK »

Thanks for all your comments. Like I said, I'll pass them on and we'll see if we can change some of the things you've all highlighted.

Fibi - You're right. The list of things to do needs sorted - perhaps I should have mentioned that when I asked at the beginning.

La Vache - Every page says "Beautiful two bedroom Vilamoura apartment ....." at the top just under the heading - but I guess if you missed it then it's not obvious so we'll look at that too. Maybe it's the font colour.
If it's true that if you look like your passport photo you are too sick to travel I should have given up long ago!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I told you I was tired when I looked at it! I was concentrating on the text, completely missed the titles!
Bohinj Badger

Post by Bohinj Badger »

Hi there,

I liked this site too as it was a fit funky and stood out in my mind, which I guess is half the battle for business! There is a lot going on in the home page, although the landcape view photographs do seem let it down (e.g. sofa for the apartment and water for the complex). Could you choose some photographs that are in keeping with the funkiness of your site and show off the apartment and complex in a similar way.

As said before, I liked the 'things to do' in the top right hand corner but had been expected to be wisked off to a page that gave some examples or photos. This is something to think about and really would add to the site.

Overall, I really liked the style and general presentation and i would remember this site.

BB
Fil

Post by Fil »

I like the general look of it.

However:
- most photos are a bit dark
- text is hard to read. It should be concise and with shorter sentences. You must grab their atention in the first seconds.
- all essential info (number and type of rooms, main phiotos, location, facilities, prices) should be in the frint page.

Hope it helps.

Good luck !
Garri

Post by Garri »

I actually really like the ambition of this site. It's a refreshing change from the usual stuff I see in this location.

Some food for thought...

1. I don't like the car hire and golf desk links having such prominence - you want to keep people on your site to see what you have to offer, not shunt them off to other sites.

2. If you 'need' to display these links then make them more discreet, in the footer perhaps.

3. Nav elements on left are same colour as main copy in your blurb, this needs to stand out, so consider changing the colour of them.

4. Right side: See more Photos should be higher up the pecking order, i.e. higher than visitors book.

5. Photos could be doing with some stylisation, such as white border with thin grey outer border. They are also too dark. Tip: in PS, try using auto-levels and the sharpen filter.

6. Opening sentence of your paras would look good bold, as headlines. Would draw us in to read more, and break up the monotony.

7. I'm not keen on the text in the photos being bottom right, it doesn't feel right but can't really express why, except probably has to do with symmetry and balance since these headings aren't the same in size, so they look off balance. Try centering them, or left. I definitely think they look odd on the right.
KateK wrote:La Vache - Every page says "Beautiful two bedroom Vilamoura apartment ....." at the top just under the heading - but I guess if you missed it then it's not obvious so we'll look at that too. Maybe it's the font colour.
What about putting it in that thick grey line at the top? That way you use the line to visually separate the title from the rest of site, and highlight your "Beautiful two bedroom Vilamoura apartment ....." blurb into the bargain ;-)
Garri

Post by Garri »

I missed a vital point...

Where is the Vilamoura Area exactly? I've had to get to the 2nd para before I've discovered it's in the Algarve (and I know that's in Portugal)

In fact, nowhere on your front page does it mention the vital word: PORTUGAL