Unsurprisingly ... comments welcomed

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Yes if thats the code from HL that's all I did! I think I did it in the normal mode rather than the HTML mode, as that seems to give me problems.

Garri thanks for your PM by the way, will take on board your comments when I get my new pics etc.
slartibartfast
Location: Ovacik , Olu Deniz, Hisaronu , Fethiye ,Turkey ..but live in Perth

Post by slartibartfast »

Thanks Carole that's it fixed now. I think we had the same problem. When using html mode MrSite was altering the tags so it became a "literal" value. Wrapping some other tags around it stopped that.
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Cool, well you must be very pleased with yourself at how well your site has come on now from when you first started, its looking really nice. :D :D

I don't know very much about search engine optimisation, have been learning and reading stuff on here, but you can go to google and submit your url for them to crawl your site, which I have done http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl. I must admit I don't come up very highly in searches so I need to learn a bit more about it! I found something on here last night about google webmaster tools https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools ... about.html but you need to validate your site to get the full benefit and of the two ways you need to validate it I couldn't do either! :?
slartibartfast
Location: Ovacik , Olu Deniz, Hisaronu , Fethiye ,Turkey ..but live in Perth

Post by slartibartfast »

Carole I've done the above with Google too so it's a start I guess.

Yes I am pretty pleased with what's there now .... but it's a bit like negotiating a black run. You make it to the bottom all hot and sweaty having picked yourself a few times and bounced off and slid down the moguls ..... only to see someone cruising effortlessly past you :roll:

Looking around other people's sites just underlines what can be achieved given the time, skills and creativity. A long way to go but every journey starts with the first step :wink:
fibi

Post by fibi »

Wow what an improvement Ian, it is really good. Love the photographs! It reads really well too - excellent!
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

but it's a bit like negotiating a black run. You make it to the bottom all hot and sweaty having picked yourself a few times and bounced off and slid down the moguls ..... only to see someone cruising effortlessly past you
:wink: :)
Good for you as the others have said great improvement :)
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Hi Ian

Yes I know what you mean, when you see how good other people's sites are - but designing from scratch is a whole new ball game I think! Don't think i have the time or inclination to try and teach myself at the moment!

Not sure about the feeling on the black run, as I've never made it down one, only on my bum!! But I understand the bit about seeing people glide past effortlessley, thats not me yet!

Carole
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Ian just having another little look through your site, on the Getting There page, there seems to be some text at the top right saying to click for a bigger image, but I am not sure what it relates to as I clicked around a few things and nothing was happening.

I must say now I am looking at your site more with a holiday head on than a website head on, I really fancy a holiday there :wink:, it looks lovely, trouble is I seem to spend all my holidays in France at the moment, haven't had a nice beach holiday for ages :(
Garri

Post by Garri »

I really fancy a holiday there, it looks lovely
Me too ;-)

But for now I have it on the potential list of places to feature. I can see it nicely slotting in between a fisherman's shack in Greenland and bivouac campsite in Namibia ;-)

We love a bit of juxtapositioning ;-)
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Ha ha you must have been to some very interesting places Garri. I think it was on your site the other day I was looking at some luxury tents in canada, looked absolutely fantastic, in fact I am going to have another look on your site now ...
Garri

Post by Garri »

luxury tents in canada
It's all the rage these days and they're calling it, wait for it, glamping, i.e. glamorous camping!
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

I would love to go there, I had thought about doing something like that on a bit of a smaller scale in France, but I don't know if it will ever happen!

Just seen the Guardian thing, hadn't seen it before, that's great for you :D

Where do you find all these places, or do they come to you?!
Garri

Post by Garri »

Rosbif wrote:I would love to go there, I had thought about doing something like that on a bit of a smaller scale in France, but I don't know if it will ever happen!
Do you know of this place: http://www.canvaschic.com - Maybe not on the scale of the wilderness resort but looks interesting.
Just seen the Guardian thing, hadn't seen it before, that's great for you :D
There's more to come but I can't say any more than that.
Where do you find all these places, or do they come to you?!
Anywhere and everywhere! Since the Guardian thing we're on the radar so some are coming to us now.

I'm going to be deleting some stuff soon - autumn clearance!
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Canvas chic looks fab too oooooh i might have to book myself a little getaway!

One other thing I would love to do is an old fashioned horse drawn romany caravan, do you know if you have got any of those??

:D

PS Would be good to have a search function on your site, or am i missing it somewhere

PPS Also be good if when you navigate to the various properties they come up in a different window as I keep closing them thinking I am going back to your site but it has navigated away from your site
Garri

Post by Garri »

Rosbif wrote: One other thing I would love to do is an old fashioned horse drawn romany caravan, do you know if you have got any of those??
Yep, I have one that I'll be adding soon but it's in the New Forest, I haven't looked for ones elsewhere.

http://www.new-forest-gypsy-caravans.co.uk
PS Would be good to have a search function on your site, or am i missing it somewhere
That's a deliberate omission ;-) The site will be totally redesigned soon and the tags will be much better presented. A search function is on the cards for when there's 500 places on there.
PPS Also be good if when you navigate to the various properties they come up in a different window as I keep closing them thinking I am going back to your site but it has navigated away from your site
Redesign may use frames in same way as Wordpress.com, with some cool tools - but can't say more ;-)

That said, I think I can easily change it so they open in different windows. Thanks for that tip Carole, appreciated ;-)