"Hotel Mentality"

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
FionaV

"Hotel Mentality"

Post by FionaV »

I'm becoming increasingly irritated by guests who stay in our very reasonably priced cottage, (www.frenchruralretreat.com) and then behave as though they've booked into a hotel.

Our last guests have been telephoning us as though they were ringing the reception desk with their requests. eg, They would like all the pillows changing for anti-allergy ones, despite not mentioning this prior to their arrival. For the last fortnight we seem to have been at their beck and call, (we live 20 minutes drive away) catering for their requests.

I don't want to spoil anyone's holiday so I didn't point out that if they wanted this sort of attentiveness they should have booked into a hotel, but my patience was wearing very thin by the time they left.

What do other people do?

PS They left the place a mess, had various breakages and took the cool box freezer blocks to kep their food cool going home! Never again.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Personally, we book into self-catering accommodation becasue we want to chill out, and certainly when our children were younger, because it gave you much more space and freedom than a hotel room. I don't think I could have not said anything though, and despite missing items and breakages being reasonably small, I would have been tempted to deduct them from their damage deposit.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I agree - they really deserve to have been brought up with a jolt, having been so demanding. It sounds as if you need to read this thread Fiona, if you haven't been doing so....
http://tinyurl.com/24zhja

Persvere with this thread as it does go on to talk about compaints, and you are not alone....
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Moliere

Re: "Hotel Mentality"

Post by Moliere »

FionaV wrote:Our last guests have been telephoning us as though they were ringing the reception desk with their requests. eg, They would like all the pillows changing for anti-allergy ones, despite not mentioning this prior to their arrival.
Ooh - I think we had them too! :shock:

Mols
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'm experiencing a similar situation as I'm looking after a friends place & so not on site for her 2 lots of guests (1 lot of 10 in the main house & a couple in the casita).

It's made me realise how intrusive people can be...so I think it's important to have boundaries. I'm learning fast & have told them any 'small issues that need resolving they can get me in the mornings - after that I'm available for emergencies only.
Hopefully that will make people think before they pick up the phone.
If I was you - I would also factor in a 'weekend/2 day' break.
Hopefully that then gets the message across that although you care about guests, it is self catering & you do have a life to lead (I work full time so can't be there on call)

Having said that...the last 'emergency' I dealt with was the casita couple not being able to get the parasol up :roll: :roll:

As for leaving the place in a mess - charge them for additional cleaning & certainly charge them for the cool box items (that's really very cheeky in my book)

hopefully your new guests will be appreciative of all your efforts Fiona!

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Mouse wrote: I'm learning fast & have told them any 'small issues that need resolving they can get me in the mornings - after that I'm available for emergencies only. Hopefully that will make people think before they pick up the phone.
If I was you - I would also factor in a 'weekend/2 day' break.
Hopefully that then gets the message across that although you care about guests, it is self catering & you do have a life to lead
That's very good advice. :)
FionaV

Post by FionaV »

Emergency only calls is a super idea and also times when I'm available to be contacted is good too.

Every time the telephone rang during their stay, I flinched.

I'm certainly going to charge them for the breakages, ice blocks and cleaning, and next year I'm going to get tough!
Fiona
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

That's awful! I'm so sorry ! I'm just crossing my fingers that I don't have any guests like that...I'm accross the ocean and my housekeeper doesn't speak English ;-) so you'd THINK that they would only contact me in a REAL emergancy....hope so anyway! (I would sertainly take the money for the damage though! even a hotel would do that too!)
brenda

Post by brenda »

Think we have just had relatives of your guests stay here Fiona!

Left with 2 x Tupperware boxes - full - out of fridge containing Jams and Butters, corkscrew and 4 x toilet rolls from behind the Bathroom door.

Mustn´t like to type of Wine I supply as they left that!

Were an hour late leaving and the place looked like a bombsite.

Never again!!!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Butters??!! Not travelling far then I take it!

Fancy leaving wine behind and taking jam instead - the sun must have gone to their heads!

BTW, hands up those who take the soaps and other smellies left in hotel rooms?!
ttp

Post by ttp »

Gascony Goat wrote: BTW, hands up those who take the soaps and other smellies left in hotel rooms?!
Me, for use in the next hotel that doesn't supply them.
Regards

Nick Thompson

http://www.gite-in-brittany.co.uk
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

In the days when MIL travelled more, she'd bring back armloads of the things for our daughter, who loved all things small when she was a nipper. Had them spilling out of every cupboard! :roll: My heart sank when she'd present her with the latest collection.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi GG :wink: ..[Theres a flaw to this vote counting :roll: ...though as you know how fond I am of you I am loathe to point out any minute imperfection :wink: :roll:]
Its very hard to work the keyboard or Mouse while both hands are in the air so how can I agree with ya or cast my vote for the affirmative :wink: :lol: :lol:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Sorry Ros, I should have asked for a show of hands from all those who leave the smellies behind!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

me, me, me!!!!! :lol: :lol:

and my guests are reaping the benefits of lovely lotions & potions :lol:

Mousie (who one time stayed in 23 hotels in 24 days :shock: :shock: ...bet that's got you all thinking :wink: )
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!