When is the rush to book?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
reddevil

When is the rush to book?

Post by reddevil »

I have just published my website and have been quite happy with the number of bookings I have received during January & February.

Are Jan & Feb traditionally the months when most bookings are made or should I expect every month to be the same?
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I believe the beginning of the year is traditionally the best for bookings, yes. It is definitely not the same for us all year round.

Looks like you started your marketing at the right time! :)
Brooke
tansy

Post by tansy »

without a doubt...busy busy busy for 3 maybe 4 weeks...then it peters out to perhaps one or two every month..then just before a main holiday all the panickers are emailing every five minutes.

But we have had nothing for 3 weeks and then in the last 24 hours 2 bookings...there doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason - but it could be an advertising campaign or something that sparks off enquiries again

Good luck with it all.
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

OK so it is March and so i should expect fewer enquiries now? How about in June, July, August & September....how often do you get last minute requests?
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Same here, Jan/Feb/Mar. August books out first, couple of times people have booked their week a year in advance. I have the days date on my availbility and say that it is updated daily so it tends to weed out the last minute ones looking for the popular dates.

We've had threads on availbility calendars but I think that's where one on the site pays off. Didn't have one at first and I was getting so many phone calls, some even a day or two before the July/Aug weeks. I think people will look all year though, just depends on their circumstances - leave from work, having some extra cash etc.

I'm happy and sad that my season is nearly booked out as from around Easter we'll not get the use of the cottage ourselves until probably Oct/November :( Lottery win and I'll buy another!
tansy

Post by tansy »

Just depends...I really can't say...I'm worried about Easter at present - one house is booked - has been for 9 months - the other one still available...so how long is a piece of string..as I said there appears to be no rhyme or reason - except we all have a busy time Jan/Feb...we're fully booked for peak time - but now I want May - rest of June & part of september to sell.
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

For us (Lake District, UK) January is definitely the month for bookings.

After that it seems to relate to school holidays. For example, after February half term, folk start thinking about Easter (it's already gone); after Easter they start thinking about about Whit half term, ie, end of May (one of our busiest weeks which we could have already let about 40 times!), etc, etc. Some folk are more organised so the weeks have already gone!
paolo

Post by paolo »

reddevil,

You would normally expect the first months of the year to be the busiest for a European (non-ski) rental. But it's no longer the case that people pore over the brochures on Boxing Day and plan their summer holiday. You will get enquiries all the way into your peak season, even a week before in my experience.

And you get inexplicable periods of total silence, followed by a flurry of enquiries, for no apparent reason. It's a bit like fishing I imagine.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Paolo,
That's a bit of relief for me. I have managed to acquire my first few bookings and then no enquiries for two weeks (I guess that is a short time eh?). But I thought I had past the "peak" period for enquiries (Jan & Feb) and got worried.......I guess I will just sit back and wait for more bookings eh? :lol:
tansy

Post by tansy »

sorry - can't have explained it well... :roll:

But as an example what happens with bookings..out the blue someone that stayed last year wants to come back for a month...so one email I've filled the whole of June...that's rentals for you!!
PeeJay

Post by PeeJay »

peaks and troughs peaks and troughs
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Can I ask redevil if you have aquired your bookings purely from your website? Only asking as am interested in how long it takes for the search engines to find a new website etc etc, thought it would be months, have just put mine on the web too, do you pay to advertise on google etc?
paolo

Post by paolo »

Meishka,

It can take a couple of months for Google to include your site in its index. If you have a link to your site from a site that is already indexed by Google, it will follow the link and find you that way. Typically that only takes a few days, the Google spider makes a note of your new site, and comes back later to add it to the index.

My personal experience is that it takes a lot less than two months, maybe two or three weeks, but that is what people say.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Meishka,

So far I have been lucky enough to get all my bookings from my website. In my experience, Google will start to index your site when, as Paolo says, you have some other links to your site. After that, well Google may visit your site but it could still take "months" before you see it in the search engine results - its what they call the sandbox.

BTW, I like your site it seems like a beautiful area of Spain!! Just a quick tip, when I looked at your home page, the captions of your photos on the right seemed to go underneath the photo.
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Thanks for that redevil. we are the same area methinks!

Funny about the pictures on the right hand side as Paolo is seeing that too! Anyone any ideas?