When is the rush to book?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

forgot to ask which is the best way to get links to my site?
paolo

Post by paolo »

Here is a two-part article I wrote on this:

How to get quality inbound links to your site

How to get quality inbound links to your site, part 2

Let me know if any of it doesn't make sense.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
ourinns

google problem

Post by ourinns »

One way round the google sandbox is to get a link (any link) from a site that is already indexed. That way when google next looks at the indexed site, it will follow the link to you and you're in google too.

Re bookings, people tend to book about one to two months ahead with us (a B&B) at the moment but we also get a lot of bookings just a week ahead through the summer. Net effect last year was that we went right through August with an empty reservations book looking two weeks ahead but ended up pretty full in what was a bad year down here.

It's very disconcerting to have a relatively empty reservations book in the peak of summer but that seems to be how it works here.

Arnold
PeeJay

Post by PeeJay »

Just taken my first booking for 2006. Family just returned from Tenerife and they said they always book their next holiday immediately after returning.
paolo

Re: google problem

Post by paolo »

mascamps wrote:One way round the google sandbox is to get a link (any link) from a site that is already indexed. That way when google next looks at the indexed site, it will follow the link to you and you're in google too.
That's the way to get indexed, but the sandbox is something else, which you can't get out of except by waiting. It's Google's way of cutting down on spammers - people exploiting Google's ranking methods in the short term to make some money before Google catches up with them and bans them.

Unfortunately pretty much all new sites have to go in the sandbox - you will still be indexed by Google, but your rankings for searches will be awful.

As Tony has pointed out elsewhere, you can buy your domain name and get it hosted before your site is ready - just stick up a homepage with some keyword-rich copy. This way you will serve less time in the sandbox when your site is fully ready.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
jimadept

Re: google problem

Post by jimadept »

mascamps wrote:One way round the google sandbox is to get a link (any link) from a site that is already indexed. That way when google next looks at the indexed site, it will follow the link to you and you're in google too.
Arnold
If this looks daunting, it isn't - one very easy way to achieve it is to place free ads on holiday rental and classified ad sites - see the link in my signature below. If you have a blog, place a link there, and ask friends and family with blogs to give a plug for your rental property on their blogs - including your link of course! Blogger, for example, is owned by Google and is therefore indexed frequently. My rental site was indexed in just over a week after going live.

Jim