Guest numbers creep....

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
fibi

Guest numbers creep....

Post by fibi »

I am annoyed...reallly annoyed as this is the second time this has happened to me in 3 weeks.
What happens is I take a booking for 2 people get the cleaning ,bed changing etc calculated in my head maybe offer a little freebie like free hot tub or a bottle of champers because of the under occupancy then they send me a little "courtesy" note to tell me that there will be an additonal 4 adults!

Although my cottages are advertised as 4/6 there is one bathroom and 2 bedrooms and I only ever accept bookings for more than 4 adults for a couple of nights , never for a full week although I am happy for a family of 5 or 6 to book for a week. If the bookers had told me at the start there would be 5 or 6 adults i would not have taken the booking. There is just not enough space for 6 adults to be comfortable for a week, in my opinion it would compromise their enjoyment of the holiday.

It just annoys me so much taht I seem to have no choice in accepting the additional guests - in fact emails are never phrased as giving me the choice and one week before they arrive I am hardly going to cancel their booking.

Maybe I could change my Tcs ?? After emailing it all down it seems a bit churlish to complain, but it all extra work, more bedding to launder etc

Maybe I am just an old grump - too much rain, too many children I feel like the old woman in the shoe sometimes - pity you can't spank them anymore :wink: :wink:
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Fibi, I would make it clear that the booking is for the no of people stated on the booking form, and extra guests can only be accommodated with a suitable notice period.I would also let them know you are not happy about the 6 people but will accept them at an extra cost?
enid

Post by enid »

We say 4/6 but charge 50€ per person over 4.
fibi

Post by fibi »

Ah Helen this is where methinks I am probably being churlish...I don't see how I can charge more when I advertise occupancy of 6. The week before I may have taken a booking from a family of 6 at the same price as I charged the couple - I make no under occupancy discounts in high season.

Its just that this has happened loads this year, I imagine the scenario is the couple are talking with friends/realtives whatever saying what a nice cottage they have booked realised that there is an extra bedroom going spare and invited them along...

Its just a bit annoying as in Summer when I know I can book everything 10 times over I would not have taken a 6 adult booking which is what I now have...grrrrr
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
Taff2

Post by Taff2 »

It just annoys me so much taht I seem to have no choice in accepting the additional guests
Hi Fibi,
I've offered my views before on a similar thread. If the numbers
in the party are listed on your booking form then they have
broken the contract. Any discounts agreed for under occupancy
are negated and the extra charged.

On the negative side if they've paid full price and you are
advertising it as 4/6 then there's no real redress. I'm pretty
sure your guests believe they are being entirely reasonable
dropping you a "courtesy note" saying they are taking
advantage of what you're advertising.

It's a judgement call only you can make. Do you need
the booking that much?
pity you can't spank them anymore
Is that the guests or the children? :wink:
Cheers
Ian
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
fibi

Post by fibi »

Ian after posting I thought to myself how long will it take!! :wink: It was the children but even thats not allowed now!

Anyway you have comfirmed what I suspected I am an old grumpy woman...with an even older and grumpier husband! (50th birthday of OH on Saturday invited 110 guests and it poured and poured maybe thats where some of the grumpiness comes from!)

Guests will of course think that it is a courtesy telling me and they are only using what they have paid for!!
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Maybe you should have 2 price sructures Fibi, one for 'up to 4 people' and one for any extras if you feel that it's not perfect for 6.

They've got a real cheek telling you at the last minute though!
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
fibi

Post by fibi »

Nah too complicated thats what 4/6 is supposed to mean, anyway...I've recovered now grumpy old woman has been replaced by my serene natured self :D
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

If the advertised price is for 4 - 6 then surely it is fair (although not very polite) if they have added people.
If you had given then a discount for underoccupancy at the time of the booking, then that would have been different.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Fibi ..
Ive had this happen a few times and I feel a bit like you that as I say can accomodate 12/16[in both]
..when they ask about others coming along its hard to really say no.....
I dont usually offer a discount or anything when less than that book[but I always think Oh thats Handy..not many in that week]so theyre all paying the same price....
Most of them are polite and ask nicely..
it is the ones who sort of slip it in and tell me this wont be a problem will it....that are annoying :roll: ....

Its a shame the 50th Birthday was a bit of a 'washout' but Hopefully you still had a nice time :wink:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I've had this with my present guests. Originally the booking was for 6 adults....so I made up all of the beds but only left towels for 6. When they turned up it was a party of 8 (our occupancy level) so I nipped off to get the extra towels.
It would have been nice to know before hand but at the end of the day they paid full price so they can bring 8.

Maybe a suggestion would be to advertise your accommodation as 4 adults + 2 children, to prevent the possibility of having 6 adults in the future.
I would also do as Helen suggested & have a general statement on all your booking confirmations that the prices quoted are for the stated booking numbers only.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

If people have paid full price, I always make up every bed, regardless of occupancy numbers.

Fibi, what happens in the opposite situation (which happened to me last week), where you have a booking for 6, but in the end only 4 guests arrive. Do you give a discount? I know I don't.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

fibi wrote:...I've recovered now grumpy old woman has been replaced by my serene natured self :D
So pleased to hear that.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Fibi, what happens in the opposite situation (which happened to me last week), where you have a booking for 6, but in the end only 4 guests arrive. Do you give a discount? I know I don't.
Thats a good point Susan I have it happen that way round as well.... :wink:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Won't it depend on if your prices are per occupant or for the accommodation?

My pricing is for the villa - so they get all rooms made up. Occasionally I have given a small discount if they only use 1 or 2 bedrooms & its convenient to me as I get a quick turnover.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!