Best Digital Camera for Full room shots..

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Nightowl

Best Digital Camera for Full room shots..

Post by Nightowl »

I'm sure a few people must share the same problem - how do you take photos in a small room (particularly bathrooms) when your camera's field of vision isn't enought to get the whole room in.

With bathrooms, I can only get a teeny bit in cos you just can't get far back enough, but even our bedrooms, which are quite big, you can only get a corner of the room in and it's difficult to show how big a room IS unless you can show it in a photo.

so does anyone know of a camera that can zoom OUT (as opposed to in) in order to take a room shot adequately (or one with a special lens,the sort that estate agents probably use).

I can do panaromic shots on my camera but they are too wide for many listings sites.

I know someone out there has the answer!! Model number and rough idea of cost would be really appreciated. Ta all. x
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

We had a guest last month with a Fuji FinePix which had a good wide-angle zoom, bit bulky though; I borrowed it to get some pics I couldn't do with my own. It was around £190 to buy in the UK.

And a guy in our village came around to take some pics of the interior of our chalet (plus exterior from the neighbour's roof), but we find the results 'too' good (he was using a Canon EOS). The bathroom in our smallest apartment below looks like it's out of some bath fittings brochure and in real life a meerkat could hardly squeeze in to stand up vertical - it is seriously minute (he was standing in the doorway as you can see, and there wasn't space to stand inside).

I'll get the camera model nos. although they are on these links by clicking on Further Info.

Exterior
http://tinyurl.com/2zwnsv

Interior basement
http://tinyurl.com/22n22r

MG
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

MG, those pictures are fantastic!!! Your bathroom DOES look like it should be in a brochure!! Wow, I'm impressed, both by the camera and your chalet...

thanks for the camera tip.

I've just come back to edit my post - checked out the Canon camera - no wonder the pics are so fantastic, the camera is nearly £3,000!!!

Maybe I'll take a look at the other one...
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

WOW they're amazing :shock:
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
ttp

Post by ttp »

Nightowl wrote:checked out the Canon camera - no wonder the pics are so fantastic, the camera is nearly £3,000!!!

Maybe I'll take a look at the other one...
The important thing is the Focal Length: 16mm.
Regards

Nick Thompson

http://www.gite-in-brittany.co.uk
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

The Fuji was a S6500, with 28mm wide-angle, and around £155 upwards in the UK. There's a wide angle attachment (?) for another £80 or so but don't understand the description - resultant lens appears to be 22mm. See:

http://tinyurl.com/2u95rd and

http://tinyurl.com/2lgm8h

I thought it was excellent value, though assume a professional wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole, and the reviews aren't that exciting.

Saving my pocket money for the Canon.....(Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II around SFr 18K with a few accessories - lol).

MG
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Mountain Goat wrote:...Saving my pocket money for the Canon.....(Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II around SFr 18K with a few accessories - lol)
You'll also need to save for a new hard drive to go with it 8) :
EOS-1Ds Mark II. The Digital SLR that delivers the hair-splitting, super-fine detail of 50MB files.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Maybe a brace of these little gadgets?

8)
MG
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I use a Canon Ixus 500 and you can take several shots and 'stitch' them together. I've done a few like that for my site, the one at the bottom of the home page for example is about 8 shots stitched together, I would have thought it was quite a common feature on digital cameras.

I've also used it for the double loft room on the Accommodation page if you want to see it used on a room.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

That's seriously impressive stitching, Kathy - not a hint that it's been done. When I've tried it I end up with 4 or 5 very slightly different exposures which are very obvious. It would be a great technique for the header images of WordPress blogs.....

Which image software do you use?

MG
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

It's only the Canon stuff that came with the camera MG. It does work well though!
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

There's some very helpful tips on Stiching from Jimbo in this thread
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Yes, thanks - crammed with good info.

MG
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Just for MG, when you get your new gadget, you will be able to download the whole Internet here

Now lets see who tries that ?
Brier

Re: Best Digital Camera for Full room shots..

Post by Brier »

Nightowl wrote:I'm sure a few people must share the same problem - how do you take photos in a small room (particularly bathrooms) when your camera's field of vision isn't enought to get the whole room in.

x
Estate agents have the same problem. The following link is to a review of the best digital cameras with wide angle capability:

http://www.photoxels.com/article_wide-angle.html

Hope this helps